Fife, Crean, and Izzo

rico

I'd give Fife the definite inside track , but never count Crean out.  He has the intelligence to look back at his IU years and make adjustments.  If he starts tearing it up at Georgia, you never know.  If that happened, no doubt Fife would be rightly pissed so Crean would really have to show marked improvement and consistency for MSU to pass Fife over.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd give Fife the definite inside track , but never count Crean out.  He has the intelligence to look back at his IU years and make adjustments.  If he starts tearing it up at Georgia, you never know.  If that happened, no doubt Fife would be rightly pissed so Crean would really have to show marked improvement and consistency for MSU to pass Fife over.

I could see a scenario where Crean might be the guy.  But a lot of things would have to fall in place, one of them being Dane takes his own gig some where else.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I could see a scenario where Crean might be the guy.  But a lot of things would have to fall in place, one of them being Dane takes his own gig some where else.

The most important piece though would be Crean reinventing himself at Georgia. I don't think MSU is going to take him too seriously as a candidate unless he's able to reestablish himself at Georgia as one of the hot coaches in the country. Win a couple SEC titles, make the tourney consistently and potentially even an elite 8 run or something. He's not going to get an MSU look, unless they swing and miss on all their other guys, if he just does typical/average at Georgia. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The most important piece though would be Crean reinventing himself at Georgia. I don't think MSU is going to take him too seriously as a candidate unless he's able to reestablish himself at Georgia as one of the hot coaches in the country. Win a couple SEC titles, make the tourney consistently and potentially even an elite 8 run or something. He's not going to get an MSU look, unless they swing and miss on all their other guys, if he just does typical/average at Georgia. 

I agree with all that.  Right here, right now Fife is the man.  But we saw what happened to the 'Cuse with their heir in waiting.  He left and went to Washington and did a stellar job.  Evidently he got tired of waiting?  Will Dane go down that same path?  Who knows?  But I know this much, taking over for a legend tends not to work out to well especially from within.  

36 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

What a waste. A dirty school like MSU doesn't deserve our beloved Hoosier in Dane Fife. But in the end,  it's a good, high-paying job. 

If we didn't have Archie Miller, I would be happy to have him in B-Town. 

I am sure Dane has received offers.......perhaps he is just choosy?

3 hours ago, rico said:

I am sure Dane has received offers.......perhaps he is just choosy?

If I was Dane unless I had assurances or I was getting head coaching money as an assistant I would want to strike out and get some experience running my own program. First off there is a learning curve...experiences in disciplining etc and to go through that under the microscope of MSU...I think would be ill advised. I don't know what kind of agreement they have but I would want to get some lower level experience at a school that has had success at the lower levels that has a good recruiting base that would set me up to look good when it came time to come back to MSU. You can only wait so long....eventually you have to do what makes you happy and will do what's best for your career. What if Izzo coaches for another 15 years and then hands it over to someone else?? It could happen. If he is worthy of the job...he will prove it at another location. There are some bad jobs...some schools that no matter what you do it will be hard to succeed...but he has enough pedigree to weed those out and get a job at one that he could win at....get some tourney appearances and use that to leap from into a top job somewhere...or back to MSU. He better have something locked down to stay at MSU or just really be happy doing what he does.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

If I was Dane unless I had assurances or I was getting head coaching money as an assistant I would want to strike out and get some experience running my own program. First off there is a learning curve...experiences in disciplining etc and to go through that under the microscope of MSU...I think would be ill advised. I don't know what kind of agreement they have but I would want to get some lower level experience at a school that has had success at the lower levels that has a good recruiting base that would set me up to look good when it came time to come back to MSU. You can only wait so long....eventually you have to do what makes you happy and will do what's best for your career. What if Izzo coaches for another 15 years and then hands it over to someone else?? It could happen. If he is worthy of the job...he will prove it at another location. There are some bad jobs...some schools that no matter what you do it will be hard to succeed...but he has enough pedigree to weed those out and get a job at one that he could win at....get some tourney appearances and use that to leap from into a top job somewhere...or back to MSU. He better have something locked down to stay at MSU or just really be happy doing what he does.

Ummmm, Dane has been a head coach.......Fort Wayne(IPFW).

59 minutes ago, rico said:

Ummmm, Dane has been a head coach.......Fort Wayne(IPFW).

I didn’t realize that. That’s a pretty small school...I was thinking experience running a bigger program than that. Like a midmajor...not sure I would consider the Summit League a mid major but maybe it is. Thanks for the info!

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

I didn’t realize that. That’s a pretty small school...I was thinking experience running a bigger program than that. Like a midmajor...not sure I would consider the Summit League a mid major but maybe it is. Thanks for the info!

I guess it would be considered a low mid-major?  But Fife got the gig at the ripe old age of 25.

Archived