Trip to DC

Billingsley99

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Beyond the typical govt/museum/memorial stuff, the DC Zoo is actually free so a fun less expensive thing to do. For food, you got to hit up Ben's Chilli Bowl. It's not exactly fine dining, but it's a DC institution. 

I second the suggestion about Ben's Chili Bowl.

Also, not sure how you feel about this suggestion.  However, names of several of my high school classmates, and men I served with are on this wall.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial 

Ayden, might like the Washington Monument. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I second the suggestion about Ben's Chili Bowl.

Also, not sure how you feel about this suggestion.  However, names of several of my high school classmates, and men I served with are on this wall.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial 

Ayden, might like the Washington Monument. 

Not to take away from 99's request for information, but I am gonna respond to you Mile.  My Dad(Nam Vet) gave me a list to look up on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  I am getting teary eyed thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am taking the family to DC for 4 days in Oct any advise on things that are a must. Areas to stay away from. Secrets, the Metro etc... i like hearing others experiences. Of course places to eat!!! Thanks 

I've been pretty fortunate to travel to plenty of places but I must say I've never been to DC. Wish I could help.....I really would love to do like a week long car trip to DC and up and down the coast visiting Revolutionary and Civil War sites as well as spending a few days in DC. Have fun!

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've been pretty fortunate to travel to plenty of places but I must say I've never been to DC. Wish I could help.....I really would love to do like a week long car trip to DC and up and down the coast visiting Revolutionary and Civil War sites as well as spending a few days in DC. Have fun!

Me too. I want to go down the coast to see revolutionary war sites and baseball stadiums.  I am hoping Senator Donnelly office gets us a White House Tour.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ive travelled quite a bit myself but haven't been to DC yet.  Im hoping to do a Gettysburg/Philadelphia trip this year or next.

When it comes to civil war sites I highly recommend visiting Appomattox courthouse.

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Ive travelled quite a bit myself but haven't been to DC yet.  Im hoping to do a Gettysburg/Philadelphia trip this year or next.

When it comes to civil war sites I highly recommend visiting Appomattox courthouse.

We did Gettysburg last summer July 4th weekend. I dont recommend he reenactment. We spent July 4th in Yankee stadium then watch fireworks in NYC. BUCKET LIST ITEMS

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

We did Gettysburg last summer July 4th weekend. I dont recommend he reenactment. We sownt July 4th in Yankee stadium then watch fireworks in NYC. BUCKET LIST ITEMS

Thanks, I considered that.  I think my plan will  be to go in September and camp a couple nights. Then Philly for 2-3 days.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Not to take away from 99's request for information, but I am gonna respond to you Mile.  My Dad(Nam Vet) gave me a list to look up on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  I am getting teary eyed thinking about it.

My wife has an uncle on the wall.  One she never met.  I remind her sometimes on memorial day she has an uncle, not had one.

We have been fortunate the FIL and some family have been willing to talk about him through the years.

I would love to see The Wall though I hear it can be an overwhelming experience.

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sept 17th bloodiest day in US history. Second bloodiest in US military history 

If McClellan was more aggressive he could have had Lee's army that day. If I remember correctly it was Burnside who wanted to attack Lee's rear but was denied.  Would have ended the war much sooner.

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If McClellan was more aggressive he could have had Lee's army that day. If I remember correctly it was Burnside who wanted to attack Lee's rear but was denied.  Would have ended the war much sooner.

The North had no leadership at that point. Could have save thousands and thousands of lives.

We lucked out and are getting personal tour of Capitol. Still waiting on clearance for the White House. 

I have always wanted to meet a US President,  i would even settle for Trump. 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The North had no leadership at that point. Could have save thousands and thousands of lives.

We lucked out and are getting personal tour of Capitol. Still waiting on clearance for the White House. 

I have always wanted to meet a US President,  i would even settle for Trump. 

All thru Senator Donnelley’s office?

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Between his wnd Andre Carsons office. I emailed 2 Dem and 2 Rep. And have heard nothing back from either Rep office other than. A standard thank u email. Senator Donnelly office called to ask what we would like to do while in DC

Was one Rokita?  I know somebody that emailed him asking for help and got a response asking for money. 

I lived in DC and Alexandria for years — great, great city. 

Spend a half day in Old Town Alexandria — it’s just across the river, you can take the GW Parkway, or you can Metro it — Old Town is about a 5-10 minute walk from the  metro. Lots of little shops, restaurants, and old world cobblestone and brick streets. 

In DC proper Georgetown is trendy, also walkable (from the Foggy Bottom metro), and lots of eateries and shops. For a less touristy area with lots of restaurants hit the Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan areas. I haven’t lived there since 2000, but I would think Kramer Books is still there, Dupont Circle area, cool book store with a restaurant and live jazz on weekends. Adams Morgan has a number of good ethnic restaurants, Cafe Lau Trec (sp?) - French, also live jazz, Ethiopian food, etc.

The Mall (General area with the Washington Monument and museums) is always enjoyable.

i’ll second the Zoo suggestion, it’s right up the street from the metro, very accessible, and it’s a really nice walkable Zoo, and free. 

It’s a genuinely beautiful city, you’ll have a great time 

Archived