Jump to content

Stress


Drroogh
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to find out what others thoughts are on the topic of STRESS and how they deal with it! 

For me we've been dealing with unrealistic demands from management for more than a year now! To the point that just this afternoon, even though I and even my boss can't authorize any expense, I just authorized a vendor (on my word) to spend $136,000 because it HAD!! to be done to keep meeting production on our brand new product line! This after a morning where, I pushed through a wire transfer of $68,000 in order to pay unbudgeted tariff duties for tooling produced in China!!! 

But I'm Ok it comes with it, this is my job as they say!?!?!? (I reserve judgment on whoever said it)

However, I'm back to consuming more liquid courage tonight than I should.

How do you deal with STRESS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Continuing to try to look for the positive in everything and everyone has helped me with shedding stress and helped me remain content.  An additude of thanks has more to do with the contentment for me though.

As with anything, looking for the negatives, they are easy to find.  Look for the positive, it too can be found.  Sure these things may not deal directly with stress, but these methods seem to drop the stress as a byproduct.

There is a saying, seek happiness over meaning, you will have neither.  However, if we seek meaning over happiness, we shall have both.  Zeroing in on the areas that give your life meaning will only enhance all that you do and feel.

Going to send you a message.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually take me lunch to work, go the the break room to eat, and read.  Virtually every day.  Reading is escapism for me,  Helps me block out all the stress of the morning and recharges me for the afternoon.  Over the years I found that if you go to lunch with a co-worker, you inevitably talk about work.  If you eat your lunch at your desk, you inevitably end up working.  I love to read and lunch time offers me that opportunity.  I get cranky on those days when I don't get the opportunity. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best way I know how to deal with stress is preparation and not allow it. However in the real world things happen every single day whether it be job, family, personal or whatever...so I do an hour on the elliptical 6x per week and either walk or ride my bike on Monon another 3-4x per week. It helps my brain stay calm and focused so whatever each day brings....I'm ready for it.

Being self employed my entire life I've never had any guarantees in terms of $. I had to go get it so I live with a healthy amount of stress each day, week, month and year. If the exercise thing doesn't work. A dozen Coors Lights usually does the trick too. Haha.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Continuing to try to look for the positive in everything and everyone has helped me with shedding stress and helped me remain content.  An additude of thanks has more to do with the contentment for me though.

As with anything, looking for the negatives, they are easy to find.  Look for the positive, it too can be found.  Sure these things may not deal directly with stress, but these methods seem to drop the stress as a byproduct.

There is a saying, seek happiness over meaning, you will have neither.  However, if we seek meaning over happiness, we shall have both.  Zeroing in on the areas that give your life meaning will only enhance all that you do and feel.

Going to send you a message.

You’re a classy guy Po. I made a mistake of visiting that politics thread after a few drinks! Vowed to stay away. Saw you gave me a lengthy response but I had to make a judgement call and kill it there so I haven’t read it. Sorry for poking the bear. I’d like to maybe get you a drink or two before a game and possibly catch a game together sometime this season if you make it to many and if my schedule allows it.

Edited by ADegenerate
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

You’re a classy guy Po. I made a mistake of visiting that politics thread after a few drinks! Vowed to stay away. Saw you gave me a lengthy response but I had to make a judgement call and kill it there so I haven’t read it. Sorry for poking the bear. I’d like to maybe get you a drink or two before a game and possibly catch a game together sometime this season if you make it to many and if my schedule allows it.

Poke the bear, get me out of my comfort zone.  It's the only way my slow mind will work or grow.  Challenge me I say.  Hopefully, I come to understand others better while refining my own beliefs and values.  Cheers!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Poke the bear, get me out of my comfort zone.  It's the only way my slow mind will work or grow.  Challenge me I say.  Hopefully, I come to understand others better while refining my own beliefs and values.  Cheers!

Challenge you?  Who are the only two guys to play play in college b-ball's Final Four and to have also played in MLB's World Series?  

Edited by rico
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

That is a challenge, allow me a few days for my slow mind.

It’s not slow at all. You’re being overly polite. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for your kindness and empathy as I felt like a real outcast. You’re also an intelligent + informative poster.

Keep it up and maybe even contribute more. We’ll catch a game together at some point I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rico said:

Challenge you?  Who are the only two guys to play play in college b-ball's Final Four and to have also played in MLB's World Series?  

Good trivia question. I could only think of one before having to look it up....but I could only find the one I thought of. I'll give it a couple of days but maybe give me the other one besides KL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. How did I forget about him. He pitched for my guys in 84. Darn....great trivia question!

Kind of curious as why Mile didn't chime in on it!!!!!  He had to know the answer.  Kenny Lofton(Arizona and Cleveland Indians) and Tim Stoddard(NC State and Baltimore Orioles).  Ironically not only are they both Indiana boys but they attended the same HS.  East Chicago Washington.

And I have completely derailed the thread!  My apologies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Kind of curious as why Mile didn't chime in on it!!!!!  He had to know the answer.  Kenny Lofton(Arizona and Cleveland Indians) and Tim Stoddard(NC State and Baltimore Orioles).  Ironically not only are they both Indiana boys but they attended the same HS.  East Chicago Washington.

And I have completely derailed the thread!  My apologies.

Oh yes.  I do/did know the answer.  But was too stressed out to reply.... LOL

If I may.... Stoddard and Lofton were just two members of what arguably is considered to be the greatest Indiana High School team ever.  The 1971 East Chicago Washington team went 29-0, winning the state,  and seven of their members went on to star in college.   Some of which played in the NCAAT.  Couple other guys like Pete Trgovich, and Junior Bridgeman. But names, many of our members are too young to know. 

By the way.  Love Seeking6's ways of dealing with stress. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Oh yes.  I do/did know the answer.  But was too stressed out to reply.... LOL

If I may.... Stoddard and Lofton were just two members of what arguably is considered to be the greatest Indiana High School team ever.  The 1971 East Chicago Washington team went 29-0, winning the state,  and seven of their members went on to star in college.   Some of which played in the NCAAT.  Couple other guys like Pete Trgovich, and Junior Bridgeman. But names, many of our members are too young to know. 

By the way.  Love Seeking6's ways of dealing with stress. 

Lofton wasn't on that team.  Now you are stressing me out!!!!!!  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a lawyer and litigation partner stress is part of the job description. Everything I do, really everything, has repurcussions. Multi-million bank transactions and cases, daily. 

Life’s too short to worry about it! Best thing for me to deal with stress is just to have/find the right mindset. I give everything my best, I put in the work - once you’ve done that, that’s all you can do. 

Also work to live not live to work - I put my phone down, spend time with the fam, play a little hoops, work out, swim, play video games,

and take as many cheap pot shots at Fouls as I can 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2018 at 8:18 AM, rico said:

Kind of curious as why Mile didn't chime in on it!!!!!  He had to know the answer.  Kenny Lofton(Arizona and Cleveland Indians) and Tim Stoddard(NC State and Baltimore Orioles).  Ironically not only are they both Indiana boys but they attended the same HS.  East Chicago Washington.

And I have completely derailed the thread!  My apologies.

I always say i am full of worthless trivia but you my friend are on a whole different level in a very good way.

I always dreamed of going on Jeopardy but never did anything about it

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, mrflynn03 said:

If you are familiar with the movie The Big Lebowski the you will know who The Dude is. So when I get stressed I just channel my inner Dude, inhale/exhale deeply a few times and relax myself.

Sounds silly but it really works for me.

The dude abides!! By the way Mr Flynn you are out of your element. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I always say i am full of worthless trivia but you my friend are on a whole different level in a very good way.

I always dreamed of going on Jeopardy but never did anything about it

I hope you know something about 19th century opera.....because I sure as hell don't!  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...