Where is Grant Gelon ????

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess what ? Trinity International is in the same conference as my ALMA MATER , Calumet College of St. Joseph's !! What a small [censured ] world ,vbg !  CCSJ did not start a basketball program until I was a student there ~ CCSJ played all of their home games in the former Hammond [Indiana] Tech High School gymnasium !! A  few years ago , CCSJ built their own Basketball Arena. Unfortunately , I have been unable to visit the new Arena ! The coach for CCSJ while I was a student ther was a former player at Northwestern ! Unfortunately , I don't recall his name ! I attended CCSJ from 1991 to 1996 , earning a Degree in Accounting  and another in Business Management !! Then , I became disabled and was unable to use the knowledge I had learned at CCSJ !! Oh well, that is life !! P.S. The School nickname for CCSJ sports is :CRIMSON WAVE " !! I'm LOVING IT !! VBG !!

• 2 months later...

Grant is still pictured and listed on the Trinity roster as of Oct. 31.

DSC_0087_1_.JPG?width=1600

As many  moves like Luke Recker after their stints at IU.

Gelon :  IU to State Fair, to Missouri State for a drink of water, to Trinity.

Recker : IU to Arizona for a drink of water, to Iowa.

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Grant is still pictured and listed on the Trinity roster as of Oct. 31.

DSC_0087_1_.JPG?width=1600

As many  moves like Luke Recker after their stints at IU.

Gelon :  IU to State Fair, to Missouri State for a drink of water, to Trinity.

Recker : IU to Arizona for a drink of water, to Iowa.

I think Matt Carlino is the all time winner.

58 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just in case you missed this story out of the Hammond TImes.  And yes, I still call it the Hammond Times, just as I refer to AH as Assembly Hall.

Crown Point's Grant Gelon unhappy about treatment at Indiana University | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball | nwitimes.com

Wow, I am sorry. IMO the family is the one that comes out looking bad here.

Coach was honest about something everybody knew. Grant just is not the caliber of player to get any playing time at IU. That may be hard to hear, but in life you have to know the truth.

It seems nobody at IU ever told the kid he was not allowed to remain on the team, some AAU coach texted it.

If Grant was told he is welcome to stay, but understand you simply are not going to get any minutes, then what the heck else can a family ask for?

Tell them what to expect and allow them to make their decision. IU did not kick Grant off the team. They honestly evaluated him, communicated their thoughts and Grant asked for the release.

I get it. I would defend my kid at all costs. But to me, they have their feelings hurt by honest facts  IU/Archie did not mistreat him.

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Wow, I am sorry. IMO the family is the one that comes out looking bad here.

Coach was honest about something everybody knew. Grant just is not the caliber of player to get any playing time at IU. That may be hard to hear, but in life you have to know the truth.

It seems nobody at IU ever told the kid he was not allowed to remain on the team, some AAU coach texted it.

If Grant was told he is welcome to stay, but understand you simply are not going to get any minutes, then what the heck else can a family ask for?

Tell them what to expect and allow them to make their decision. IU did not kick Grant off the team. They honestly evaluated him, communicated their thoughts and Grant asked for the release.

I get it. I would defend my kid at all costs. But to me, they have their feelings hurt by honest facts  IU/Archie did not mistreat him.

Blue.  I have no problem what so ever with your post.  I did the link for people's information. 

Nor, like you, do I not have a problem with Archie's evaluation.

What I do have a problem with is Coach Crean's shot gun approach to offers, and even more so.... his evaluation of talent.  I will admit, this is upon reflection, and not when he was coaching IU. 

Archie pledged to locking up the state.  Thank goodness he did not mean that as an offer to every kid playing BB in Indiana. Unlike Crean.

Conversely.. I have to admit to feeling badly for Grant.  After all, what Indiana kid with some BB talent would not take an offer from IU ?  Grant could shoot the trey.  Obviously, that is all Crean saw, but thank goodness, not Archie.  It's really a shame that Archie had to clean up a mess that Crean created.  And looking in the rear view mirror, perhaps Grant should have taken advantage of IU's Student Bill of RIghts.  At least he would have come out of this mess with a degree from IU.  Now, what's he got to show for it ?

In the end.... the question still remains.......Where is Grant Gelon ?  

18 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

No offense, but not sure why it matters at this point? LOL I don't think I've ever seen more discussion over a guy who played 8 total minutes in his IU career. Funny

In fairness, we have a 3 page thread over in the bb recruiting section for a kid who's best offer is Bradley. When the football team is this bad and basketball season hasn't started yet odd topics get a lot of attention. 

Archived