Michigan State Game Thread

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Plays that shaped the game:

- Pick six (if IU scored a touchdown on that drive, this alone is mostly the difference in the game)

- Fake field goal

- Official letting a clear push off go uncalled on MSU touchdown

- Officials calling back IU touchdown on a "pick" that rarely ever gets called

(Honorable mention: Debord's refusal to scrap the run game in the face of overwhelming evidence that it wasn't working)

IU can only control those first two.  It seems in this league, in close games, the officials generally give the benefit of the doubt to the traditional powers and err on the side of giving them the 50/50 calls.  After years of watching IU and Big Ten football, I've come to understand that it's just the reality of the situation.

If we want to break through, we have to win in a convincing enough fashion so those 50/50 calls are not a deciding factor.

Also add the targeting call against Ball and missed twice against MSU

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny that the announcers talked about how good of a QB Ramsey is.

Ok, i know they were praising his ability to stretch the defense sideline to sideline but have we taken a shot deep all year?  We had the long td on the post last night, but that was only about a 15 yd throw.  Even if Ramsey doesnt have a real strong arm, youd think we would try to push the ball up the field every now n then.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My only real complain about last night is this. I just didn't think we would win going into the game because we never win those games. No time though for history lessons. Rutgers is a must win before life in the East smacks us in the face.

Eleven winning seasons since 1958.  That's IU football and it's tradition.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny that the announcers talked about how good of a QB Ramsey is.

He had a QBR of 28 last night and can’t complete a pass more then 20 yards down the field. How they can say he’s a good QB with a straight face is mind boggling. I wish the kid was good but he isn’t. 

Geesh people step back from the ledge. Yea we’re not 4-0 like everyone wants us to be but I knew it was gonna be an even tougher game with Michigan state having an extra week of rest after coming off a loss. Stack that on top of them knowing the last time they visited we smacked em. 

I thought Ramsey played ok. Definitely room for improvement but he gives us the best chance to win. He seems to hold on to the ball to long when he should just throw it away and yes we need to take more shots down field. Michigan state plays you man to man on the outside 90% of the time. Your gonna have to take more shots on the outside and quit trying to run the ball into the teeth of the defense. A couple times we tried we got a flag and the other time he was open but Ramsey’s just over threw Reece on a wheel route. Debord has got to take more shots down the field with his calling. Whoop was a real bright spot.

I still love where Tom Allen has this team going. The quality of football continues to get better. Or we can go back to giving up 60 points a game and getting absolutely destroyed by teams like Michigan state. Gesh that was awful. Let’s realize We are half ways to a bowl game. Make a bowl in Allen 2nd year and continue to recruit Florida mixed in with state kids and will get there. People have to remember this isn’t basketball this is football and we have been one of the worst programs in history it’s going to take time! Also it kills us playing in the best division in football. Almost automatically chalk up 4 losses before season even starts. Conference really needs to be re aligned. 

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Geesh people step back from the ledge. Yea we’re not 4-0 like everyone wants us to be but I knew it was gonna be an even tougher game with Michigan state having an extra week of rest after coming off a loss. Stack that on top of them knowing the last time they visited we smacked em. 

I thought Ramsey played ok. Definitely room for improvement but he gives us the best chance to win. He seems to hold on to the ball to long when he should just throw it away and yes we need to take more shots down field. Michigan state plays you man to man on the outside 90% of the time. Your gonna have to take more shots on the outside and quit trying to run the ball into the teeth of the defense. A couple times we tried we got a flag and the other time he was open but Ramsey’s just over threw Reece on a wheel route. Debord has got to take more shots down the field with his calling. Whoop was a real bright spot.

I still love where Tom Allen has this team going. The quality of football continues to get better. Or we can go back to giving up 60 points a game and getting absolutely destroyed by teams like Michigan state. Gesh that was awful. Let’s realize We are half ways to a bowl game. Make a bowl in Allen 2nd year and continue to recruit Florida mixed in with state kids and will get there. People have to remember this isn’t basketball this is football and we have been one of the worst programs in history it’s going to take time! Also it kills us playing in the best division in football. Almost automatically chalk up 4 losses before season even starts. Conference really needs to be re aligned. 

Ramsey gives them the best chance to win using this gameplan that is built around his own limitations. 

However , for the kind of playcalling needed to keep high level B1G teams honest on defense that is not such a strong clear cut thing to call him IU's best chance to win. At least it's too absolute for me after last night. However until IU has an OC with a playbook that fits the description of my context I still think which gives IU the best chance to win  is debatable at best.

Sometimes there is no difference at all between being the better arm and the better QB for the match up. Last night appeared to be one of those nights. 

Archived