IU football will be 4-8, guarantee it

hoosier8760

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game came down to a couple of plays  (and calls).

Rutger is a complete dumpster fire.  Minnesota,  Maryland,  and Purdue are all very winnable.  I think we get 3 of 4.

Iowa, Michigan and, PSU will be tough, and OSU is unlikely.   That gives us a real chance at 6-6.

Ya know, I came into this season with my eyes wide shut.  As an IU fan I really don't expect a lot from the football program.  But some of my fondest memories of IU have come with what transpired on the gridiron.  1987 is oh so special.  1979 seems like it happened yesterday.  I don't need any "negative Nancys" rocking my boat.  Yes, I am let down by my team losing.  Always have been and always will.  We ARE turning a corner.  I sense it and smell it.  We have pieces.  The foundation has been laid.  So we lost at home to a ranked team?  In my heart I realize we had no shot at being in the CFB play-offs.  I didn't expect us to be in the B1G championship game either.  All I want is to go to a bowl.  I like that, and it makes my heart warm and fuzzy.

Disclaimer:  I am drunk!!!!

3 hours ago, rico said:

Ya know, I came into this season with my eyes wide shut.  As an IU fan I really don't expect a lot from the football program.  But some of my fondest memories of IU have come with what transpired on the gridiron.  1987 is oh so special.  1979 seems like it happened yesterday.  I don't need any "negative Nancys" rocking my boat.  Yes, I am let down by my team losing.  Always have been and always will.  We ARE turning a corner.  I sense it and smell it.  We have pieces.  The foundation has been laid.  So we lost at home to a ranked team?  In my heart I realize we had no shot at being in the CFB play-offs.  I didn't expect us to be in the B1G championship game either.  All I want is to go to a bowl.  I like that, and it makes my heart warm and fuzzy.

Disclaimer:  I am drunk!!!!

Man...we have so much bad juju or mojo  to overcome...it's discouraging.  You can't blame guys for feeling this way.  How many winning football seasons has IU had since 1958?  ELEVEN!!!!  How many since they fired Mallory, the best fb coach IU ever had?  ONE!!!!We have zero fb tradition.  We have finally caught up in facilities.  Yeah, we have a true Hoosier for our coach and he has ties to Florida and he's evidently a good man...all helpful, great points.  But we have a huge negative ball and chain attached to this fb program in our losing, which is our tradition unfortunately.  The B1G also screws us by not realigning the two divisions.  But realistically....how big a change would it make?  Maybe a few more wins, which might get IU to a few more bowls.  Who knows?  But the program is fighting a long ugly history...and that is what causes some to feel 8760, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Man...we have so much bad juju or mojo  to overcome...it's discouraging.  You can't blame guys for feeling this way.  How many winning football seasons has IU had since 1958?  ELEVEN!!!!  How many since they fired Mallory, the best fb coach IU ever had?  ONE!!!!We have zero fb tradition.  We have finally caught up in facilities.  Yeah, we have a true Hoosier for our coach and he has ties to Florida and he's evidently a good man...all helpful, great points.  But we have a huge negative ball and chain attached to this fb program in our losing, which is our tradition unfortunately.  The B1G also screws us by not realigning the two divisions.  But realistically....how big a change would it make?  Maybe a few more wins, which might get IU to a few more bowls.  Who knows?  But the program is fighting a long ugly history...and that is what causes some to feel 8760, in my opinion.

Yeah, the loss sucks. And yeah, the tradition at IU sucks. Things need to change. But that defeatist attitude isn't just a result of that losing culture. It contributes to it, too.  

Players and coaches recognize it and as long as that's a part of the culture, no player or coach will see us as anything more than a stepping stone to other opportunities. I think Tom Allen is different in that regard, so to me that means I need to do my part and get over being so pessimistic about our team.

Yeah, I agree that things need to change.  And I'm very willing to give Tom Allen all the time he needs, especially since he's bringing Florida kids to Bloomington.  We need the football speed and talent found there.  But we also need something miraculous...like an upset to break the IU fb doldrums.  History hangs around the program's neck...and you need to break that chain somehow.  But it's a seemingly slow process, which is why folks still carry what you call a defeatist attitude.  They see it as the same old realistic outlook that is IU fb.  Some see half full and others half empty.  But no need to go on here.  I understand your point...and it's reasonable.

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, I agree that things need to change.  And I'm very willing to give Tom Allen all the time he needs, especially since he's bringing Florida kids to Bloomington.  We need the football speed and talent found there.  But we also need something miraculous...like an upset to break the IU fb doldrums.  History hangs around the program's neck...and you need to break that chain somehow.  But it's a seemingly slow process, which is why folks still carry what you call a defeatist attitude.  They see it as the same old realistic outlook that is IU fb.  Some see half full and others half empty.  But no need to go on here.  I understand your point...and it's reasonable.

Mallory is the only coach in my lifetime that the administration gave time to.  Why?  Well he was a proven winner at his previous 3 stops but after going winless in his first year in Bloomington, and took us to a bowl in his third.  He recruited well in a football poor state.  But there in lies the recipe.  What are all the ingredients, I have no idea.  But give a coach some time.  After all, we aren't talking the basketball team where we are used to winning and have a rich tradition.  We need to give it time on the football side.  For 50 years now I have longed for us just to be decent year in and year out.  We get to that point and maybe, just maybe we can step up a notch.  History has shown that other programs have done it, with the right guy at the helm.

Rico, I'm right there with you.  I remember 1967.  Fifty years is a long time...and the business of college sports has changed drastically.  I hope that Tom Allen learned something about being a head coach at the college level while he was working in Florida.  I hope he's another Bill Mallory.  

22 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Rico, I'm right there with you.  I remember 1967.  Fifty years is a long time...and the business of college sports has changed drastically.  I hope that Tom Allen learned something about being a head coach at the college level while he was working in Florida.  I hope he's another Bill Mallory.  

I hope so too.

IU has had some good coaches.  They were impatient with some, and others left under different issues.  Hoeppner and Wyche always come to mind in the "what if" scenarios.  As does Cameron IMO.  We need a Bill Snyder(K-State) and here is to hoping and praying Allen is that guy.

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Rico, is that Cousin Eddie, lol?

I'm not going to predict anything for this year, but going forward, IU has a TON of young and athletic talent.  We are just scratching the surface on watching it bubble up.  

Why yes it is!!!!!!!!

And I completely agree with the second part.

15 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I get it. I'm not saying the defeatist attitude isn't justified or at least understandable. (I've felt that way often over the years, how could anyone not feel that way after the tragic loss of Hoeppner?)

Multiple things need to change and a lot of those things are related to the culture.  I think Tom Allen is absolutely trying his best to turn that culture around, and of course winning games, especially against ranked opponents, will help. But when we have a coach like that, I feel us fans need to do our part in supporting the guy even when he loses, because not many people would would be enthusiastic about taking over a program with a culture like ours.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel I need to do my part, as a fan, and make a change that helps turn the culture around. So that means I need to ditch that defeatist attitude, regardless of how justified its existence it is.

Well, with only 5 games under our belt, we are just  two games from becoming bowl eligible.  Gotta say, OP, I am more optimistic about our final record at this point than you were.  Though based on our FB history, I can understand your feelings.  However for me, I say :  GO HOOSIERS !

7 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

So with your calculations we will lose the next 7 games,heard it here first

It wouldn’t be unheard of. Look, I hope we finish better. Over the next few weeks our chances of winning a game are slim to none. I bought tix for the Iowa game and will be there cheering as loud as anyone. But I’m not getting my hopes up. We look like a “traditional” IU football team on the field and if anyone thinks we have one game left on the schedule that will be as easy as any of our 4 wins you’re delusional.

2 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

It wouldn’t be unheard of. Look, I hope we finish better. Over the next few weeks our chances of winning a game are slim to none. I bought tix for the Iowa game and will be there cheering as loud as anyone. But I’m not getting my hopes up. We look like a “traditional” IU football team on the field and if anyone thinks we have one game left on the schedule that will be as easy as any of our 4 wins you’re delusional.

Ok,well we will see how the rest of the season goes,I think there are 3-4 winnable games left that would put them around 7 wins..maybe I am delusional but I will be checking back to see how your prediction goes,I don't think a bowl game is out of the question at this point in the season

43 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Ok,well we will see how the rest of the season goes,I think there are 3-4 winnable games left that would put them around 7 wins..maybe I am delusional but I will be checking back to see how your prediction goes,I don't think a bowl game is out of the question at this point in the season

I think that 8760 is simply saying that history is not on our side.  Yes, there are games that we can point to and say they're winnable...but they're also then "loseable", if that's even a word.  And we have more history and experience in that than we do in winning.

Archived