IU football will be 4-8, guarantee it

hoosier8760

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I think that 8760 is simply saying that history is not on our side.  Yes, there are games that we can point to and say they're winnable...but they're also then "loseable", if that's even a word.  And we have more history and experience in that than we do in winning.

I still point to the Mallory years.  It ain't like it was pre WWII.  We can win.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rico said:

I still point to the Mallory years.  It ain't like it was pre WWII.  We can win.

Yep...haha...very true.  I think that we have a good chance of reaching 6 wins.  I'm just stirring the pot.  But I'm not nearly as certain as some folks here seem to be.  There are no easy wins for us.  LOL

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

Yep...haha...very true.  I think that we have a good chance of reaching 6 wins.  I'm just stirring the pot.  But I'm not nearly as certain as some folks here seem to be.  There are no easy wins for us.  LOL

I don't need any LOL's.  I woke up in a bad mood and I am even worse now.  History be damned.  We can win.  I have seen it.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I have been thinking about this alot.  Granted that history is not on our side.  Which can taint one's perspective.  And it was not just the Mallory years that we can point to for hope.  But even when I was a student.  During the 1967 season, IU faced four top ten regular season opponents, losing to only one. Mallory gave us hope.  But back in 1967 we could not believe what was happening, as IU lost only that one game prior to the Rose Bowl.  Talk about breaking a preconception that IU can't not win in football !

1967 Indiana Hoosiers football team

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I have been thinking about this alot.  Granted that history is not on our side.  Which can taint one's perspective.  And it was not just the Mallory years that we can point to for hope.  But even when I was a student.  During the 1967 season, IU faced four top ten regular season opponents, losing to only one. Mallory gave us hope.  But back in 1967 we could not believe what was happening, as IU lost only that one game prior to the Rose Bowl.  Talk about breaking a preconception that IU can't not win in football !

John Pont was the HC for that season.  But here is a interesting tid bit.  120 years of IU football.  Only twice have we been ranked in the AP preseason polls. Two consecutive seasons after that Rose Bowl appearance.

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Don't forget Mile...we didn't face either OSU or Michigan.

We totally sneaked up on everyone.

I'll gladly take even a 1 point IU win this Saturday, but unless/until it happens I'm living in the real world with my actual prediction if/when I make one.

I highly doubt they sleep on Indiana this weekend because Urbs has gained quite a bit of respect for Indiana Football thus far in his tenure at OSU. Plus, unless I missed something,  they still have Kevin Wilson likely reminding them not to overlook IU.  You never know though and kids are kids. They read and hear the stories of their greatness all week, and who knows maybe they sleep on IU anyway.

Not anything I would bet on happening personally, but I won't completely write off IU's chances to shock them and the CFB world either.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Ummmm......1967 we won in Ann Arbor.  And fwiw Purdue was ranked #3 when we beat them.

And.... neither Michigan or Ohio State were ranked all season in 1967

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Don't forget Mile...we didn't face either OSU or Michigan.

We totally sneaked up on everyone.

1967 NCAA University Division football rankings

7 hours ago, rico said:

Ummmm......1967 we won in Ann Arbor.  And fwiw Purdue was ranked #3 when we beat them.

Yep...my mistake.  Sorry.  Yep...the Purdue win was extraordinary.  The entire season was, no doubt.  Things went downhill until Mallory...outside of a bit of joy with Corso.  There's no reason to think it can't happen again...I guess.   😁

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I assume that Purdue team had hall of famer Bob Griese.  I wonder how the heck IU lost the recruiting battle for him from the southern part of the state (Evansville).

Nope. Mike Phipps was the starting qb. 

Purdue did have Leroy Keyes at running back. If he wasn't an All-American that year, he was in years to follow.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nope. Mike Phipps was the starting qb. 

Purdue did have Leroy Keyes at running back. If he wasn't an All-American that year, he was in years to follow.

And if my Dad is correct.....the Boilers beat the sh%t out of the Buckeyes in '67.  He says it was 41-6.  Pop talks about '67 fondly.  All three Indiana schools were tough.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 10:04 PM, hoosier8760 said:

We will squeak out one more win the rest of the year, and finish 4-8. You heard it here first. Why I let myself become emotionally invested in IU football I’ll never know. 

You, , my friend hit the nail right on the head. Another dismal year and with who we have on staff the future is not so bright. In my opinion it is time to go out and hire the right person for the job no matter what it cost. Allen needs to go back to high school and coach the freshman or j.v. teams. He is out of his league. 
Glas needs to be held accountable for his bonehead hire.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:40 PM, jv1972iu said:

Man...we have so much bad juju or mojo  to overcome...it's discouraging.  You can't blame guys for feeling this way.  How many winning football seasons has IU had since 1958?  ELEVEN!!!!  How many since they fired Mallory, the best fb coach IU ever had?  ONE!!!!We have zero fb tradition.  We have finally caught up in facilities.  Yeah, we have a true Hoosier for our coach and he has ties to Florida and he's evidently a good man...all helpful, great points.  But we have a huge negative ball and chain attached to this fb program in our losing, which is our tradition unfortunately.  The B1G also screws us by not realigning the two divisions.  But realistically....how big a change would it make?  Maybe a few more wins, which might get IU to a few more bowls.  Who knows?  But the program is fighting a long ugly history...and that is what causes some to feel 8760, in my opinion.

Yeah...we're still a bad football team.  And the beat goes on.  Or should I say...the beat down.  😝

Allen is Bill Lynch 2.0. An above average assistant who rode a decent head coach’s coattails to the job, should never have been hired, and is in way over his head. He will be dismissed and likely end up as the head coach of a middling D2 or D3 college football program, sounds like someone else I know.

Proud of the way the kids fought back, and I cannot believe or I should say I CAN believe that our piss poor coaching staff would call Gerry DiNardo style three runs up the gut and punt when we have a chance to win the game. Completely went away from what got us back in the game. but that’s Tom Allen and Mike deBoard and Company. I’m gonna throw Fred glass in there as well; his time has come and gone I would be totally fine if they gave him his walking papers.

Archived