Indiana Loses First Big Test -- What we Learned

Agree with TDH assessment.  Not sure if bad offensive game plan or inability/refusal on OC to adjust after game started and obvious MSU was loading the box and daring IU to throw.  I'm just unimpressed with Deboard thus far.  Either way, I still see an improving IUFB team.  Defense especially.  My concern now is that the OL was so easily dominated.   I thought they were our strength.  I don't think we yet know if PR has the arm strength.  Spread it out and then we may find out for sure.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How soon would a change be made at OC if Debord isn’t the answer?

That's the biggest question I've been asking myself. If this uninspired offense continues to -not inspire- for the rest of the season, then I'd guess they'd ask him to retire at the end of the year. I don't see a midseason firing, unless we become a dumpster fire. He's close with a lot of the staff and I'm not sure how I feel about the message a midseason firing sends.

The next question is, who replaces him? I want to keep Mike Hart (our RB coach/assistant head coach) but I'm not sure how long he'll stay without a promotion if Debord leaves. 

29 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

That's the biggest question I've been asking myself. If this uninspired offense continues to not inspire for the rest of the season, then I'd guess they'd ask him to retire at the end of the year. I don't see a midseason firing, unless we become a dumpster fire. He's close with a lot of the staff and I'm not sure how I feel about the message a midseason firing sends.

The next question is, who replaces him? I want to keep Mike Hart (our RB coach/assistant head coach) but I'm not sure how long he'll stay without a promotion, if Debord leaves. 

I agree.  Can't imagine they'd fire him midseason unless things get really, really bad.  Reports were he was planning on retiring before we hired him, so an end of the year retirement would make it an easy parting.

I thought about Hart too.  He seems to be doing a good job recruiting and developing Scott.  My main requirement would be that it is an up and coming coach.  Not some retread like Debord who has bounce around from place to place and always had people ready for him to leave.  I can't imagine we'd be able to get a big name OC, so I'd much rather take a shot on an up and comer.  If we hit big on that hire, oh my.  The B1G better watch out.

Except for Debord, Allen has made some really good hires, so I'd be really excited about a change on that side of the ball.

Archived