Rutger Pregame Thread

When: Saturday 9/29 at 12pm ET on BTN

S&P+: 90% chance of IU victory

ESPN: 82% chance of IU victory

Vegas: IU -16.5

Rutgers is 1-3, having defeated Texas State 35-7 and then losing in blowout fashion to OSU, Kansas and Buffalo.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

image.png.98299520dd2d2efe9857469256163ea2.png

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2018/team/

In Sagarin, IU is #54 and Rutgers is #145

Simply put, this game is a must win. And would be an absolutely inexcusable loss.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a game IU SHOULD win unlike the MSU game. We should make a Bowl if we handle the games we SHOULD win along with a few we CAN win.  A loss to Rutgers should raise some eyebrows unlike the loss to MSU.  We need to keep the season and current status of IUFB in perspective.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Wait, wait. Even their home site calls it Rutgers.

Rutgers University | The State University of New Jersey

That's kind of like calling Indiana Uniiversity, the "University of Indiana'" "   LOL

Winnable game.  Can't cast shade on them like that. 

Crimson Quarry a couple years ago started calling them Rutger, they needed to earn the  "s" back.  I think it's pretty funny, a buddy and I always call them Rutger now.  

I think DJ did it on purpose and it made me chuckle. 

43 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Crimson Quarry a couple ago started calling them Rutger, they needed to earn the  "s" back.  I think it's pretty funny, a buddy and I always call them Rutger now.  

I think DJ did it on purpose and it made me chuckle. 

I guess I don't understand.  IIRC it is named after a Revolutionary War hero by the last name of Rutgers.

50 minutes ago, rico said:

I guess I don't understand.  IIRC it is named after a Revolutionary War hero by the last name of Rutgers.

One of the many things I love about Hoosier Sports Nation, is the things I have learned over the years.  I did know that Rutgers is considered to be the birthplace of football. However, I did not know, till now the origin of the name. 

History of Rutgers University 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

One of the many things I love about Hoosier Sports Nation, is the things I have learned over the years.  I did know that Rutgers is considered to be the birthplace of football. However, I did not know, till now the origin of the name. 

History of Rutgers University 

To be honest I found this out about 30 years ago.  It wasn't from the net, it was from a guy who along with his family moved to my small little town.  They were from Jersey.  In the course of drinking beer and teaching him how to play euchre he talked a lot about his beloved Rutgers.  This is one of the little tid bits I paid attention to.

This is the type of game where we normally have 4-5 turnovers, miss a 20 yard field goal, get a punt blocked, commit pass interference on 3rd and 30, and are the victims of a play where the broadcaster says "I don't think I've ever seen that before."

IU is never a lock to win any football game, period.

2 hours ago, rico said:

To be honest I found this out about 30 years ago.  It wasn't from the net, it was from a guy who along with his family moved to my small little town.  They were from Jersey.  In the course of drinking beer and teaching him how to play euchre he talked a lot about his beloved Rutgers.  This is one of the little tid bits I paid attention to.

Did you tell him to call it up on left, 9, 10 and an off ace?

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Did you tell him to call it up on left, 9, 10 and an off ace?

He never got the game.  Nobody wanted him as a partner after about a year.  And yes I did.  That off ace is usually good for one trick!  Suck trump out with the nine.  And count on your partner for one.  

Archived