Rutger Pregame Thread

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Schnell won big games.......that is what you originally asked wasn't it?

I was told we can't win big games with Ramsey as the QB. which is an outlandish opinion. 

If we can win some big games with those guys (sub-par QBs) we can absolutely win them with Ramsey. His comment was "we can't win the big games with Ramsey"... and all I said was we don't exactly have a huge history of beating big time teams. You bring up games from 40 years ago pretty well proves my point. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was told we can't win big games with Ramsey as the QB. which is an outlandish opinion. 

If we can win some big games with those guys (sub-par QBs) we can absolutely win them with Ramsey. His comment was "we can't win the big games with Ramsey"... and all I said was we don't exactly have a huge history of beating big time teams. You bring up games from 40 years ago pretty well proves my point. 

It's not an outlandish opinion, it's an informed opinion, meanwhile you have your bias toward DeBord and Ramsey which there is clearly no reason to try to argue against even in the face of their winless record against the B1G as a tandem.

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

It's not an outlandish opinion, it's an informed opinion, meanwhile you have your bias toward DeBord and Ramsey which there is clearly no reason to try to argue against even in the face of their winless record against the B1G as a tandem.

Informed..  he threw for 272 yards and 2Tds and completed 70% of his passes. The one INT was a tipped ball when he was getting sacked. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Informed..  he threw for 272 yards and 2Tds and completed 70% of his passes. The one INT was a tipped ball when he was getting sacked. 

How much of that yardage came after the catch thanks to Philyor? Ramsey has the third least yards per attempt in the B1G, I don't care about his completion percentage. I'm so glad he can dink and dunk in DeBord's crappy offense and have a nice completion rate. Of course you give him a pass on the pick six. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

How much of that yardage came after the catch thanks to Philyor? Ramsey has the third least yards per attempt in the B1G, I don't care about his completion percentage. I'm so glad he can dink and dunk in DeBord's crappy offense and have a nice completion rate. Of course you give him a pass on the pick six. 

You are saying the pick six is his fault???? This is gold man. 

34 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Of course you give him a pass on the pick six. 

There is much to that play.  To me, it came to define last week's game.  The O-line not maintaining their assignments resulting in another collapsing pocket.  The throw, off balanced, even ill-advised, fading away.  The attempted catch, in the flat, tipped nearly strait up.  I disagreed with the play call as well.  Top down, everything IU could have done wrong, they did, in one play.  Let's not just look at IU either.  MSU played incredibly, the effort, the will.  They played like the team some projected them to be.  In that play and in much of the game, they did their best to impose their will.  They did not destroy us like a B1G title contender might have after imposing their will.

As far as giving Ramsey a free pass.  I won't, but that loss isn't on him.  A small portion, sure.  We win the big game when everyone performs.  Coaches, the trenches or line of scrimmage (o and d line), special teams and on.  That will be when we win the big game.  I really believe Ramsey can be a part of that.

18 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

There is much to that play.  To me, it came to define last week's game.  The O-line not maintaining their assignments resulting in another collapsing pocket.  The throw, off balanced, even ill-advised, fading away.  The attempted catch, in the flat, tipped nearly strait up.  I disagreed with the play call as well.  Top down, everything IU could have done wrong, they did, in one play.  Let's not just look at IU either.  MSU played incredibly, the effort, the will.  They played like the team some projected them to be.  In that play and in much of the game, they did their best to impose their will.  They did not destroy us like a B1G title contender might have after imposing their will.

As far as giving Ramsey a free pass.  I won't, but that loss isn't on him.  A small portion, sure.  We win the big game when everyone performs.  Coaches, the trenches or line of scrimmage (o and d line), special teams and on.  That will be when we win the big game.  I really believe Ramsey can be a part of that.

A well-reasoned, objective stance. Completely agree that fault doesn't 100% lie with Ramsey, but trying to absolve him of blame is just silly (which you didn't do). The O-line has to be better, and they probably won't face a better D-line all season, which will help. Ramsey can be a part of a team that has success, but it will be as a game manager, not as a QB that you can count on to go out and win you the game. We will win games when we can establish the run, our defense does what they are capable of, and Ramsey doesn't throw the game away. And of course this would all have to be in spite of DeBord's bad playcalling. Here's to hoping that happens at least 3 more times this season.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

btown do you have a crush on Ramsey?  

I just love solid QB play. Kid is tough. It's going to be like his 9th start this coming weekend. You all act like he's bad. Hes thrown 17 TDs and 9 INTs in like 10 full games, basically. What is there not to like? The complaining about the playcalling is soooo annoying. Tell me what plays we should be running instead of what we ran... tell me how we can run the ball better when we cant block someone...why do we think we had to throw so many short passes? 

I think Ramsey is a decent QB but I like Penix better due to his potential.  Will Ramsey ever be able to show the ability to throw the deep ball? I think he's more of a game manager than someone who can go win a game for you like DJ mentioned above.  Here's my question to everyone here: how many other teams in the B1G would Ramsey start for? 1 or 2 maybe?

38 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Ramsey is a decent QB but I like Penix better due to his potential.  Will Ramsey ever be able to show the ability to throw the deep ball? I think he's more of a game manager than someone who can go win a game for you like DJ mentioned above.  Here's my question to everyone here: how many other teams in the B1G would Ramsey start for? 1 or 2 maybe?

Neb, Rutgers, Maryland... not sure of the QB situation is at Minnesota but what in the world does that have to do with anything?

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Neb, Rutgers, Maryland... not sure of the QB situation is at Minnesota but what in the world does that have to do with anything?

Not sure if he'd start over Martinez at Nebraska but agree on Rutgers and possibly Maryland.  Just was curious to hear what people thought in terms of how he would be viewed across the league.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree with you as I think he's basically a game manager right now.

The B1G announcers for MSU game liked him.

What happened to the Cards?  Couldn't beat the Brew Crew even  1x  at home for the Cubs!

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Good question. Not many. Rutgers may be the only sure bet.

20 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I agree with you as I think he's basically a game manager right now.

The B1G announcers for MSU game liked him.

What happened to the Cards?  Couldn't beat the Brew Crew even  1x  at home for the Cubs!

They fell flat on their face (literally). Just not enough talent and it’s a shock that they even had a chance at the playoffs since they were dead in the water at the all-star break. Cards need a legit middle of the order bat. 

Archived