Any CPA's in the group?

3Ballin

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

My wife has recently started her own business and I had a couple questions if anyone were willing to help me out.

Not a CPA, but my wife has her own business and we deal with a CPA for tax issues so I could possibly answer you question if it is something we have run into. 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My wife is self employed, though a sole proprietor. Not sure of your wife's status.  The one thing I reccomend looking in to is a SEP-IRA.  It is basically a self employed version of a 401k.

One thing I would suggest anyone looking at the particulars is the limitations that SEP-IRA's have vs personal 401k's. Cap on SEP's are % based. That could limit your contribution in bad years where with personal 401k it doesn't except with normal limits.

Regarding original post. I'm not a CPA (Dad is for 40 years) and I've owned my business for 20+.....plenty of mistakes made over the years finding the right benefits, retirement plan, setups, deductions,etc....so I might be able to steer you away from mistakes that I've made.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

One thing I would suggest anyone looking at the particulars is the limitations that SEP-IRA's have vs personal 401k's. Cap on SEP's are % based. That could limit your contribution in bad years where with personal 401k it doesn't except with normal limits.

Regarding original post. I'm not a CPA (Dad is for 40 years) and I've owned my business for 20+.....plenty of mistakes made over the years finding the right benefits, retirement plan, setups, deductions,etc....so I might be able to steer you away from mistakes that I've made.

I really only have 2 questions right now: 1. How does it work filing taxes?  She (i think) is going to file a long form and try to deduct everything. Do i file along with her or do we file seperate?  2. We (she) is going to be getting a new vehicle soon.  She uses her car for work, can we count that as a business expense?

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

I really only have 2 questions right now: 1. How does it work filing taxes?  She (i think) is going to file a long form and try to deduct everything. Do i file along with her or do we file seperate?  2. We (she) is going to be getting a new vehicle soon.  She uses her car for work, can we count that as a business expense?

I have a LLC and file my quarterly taxes (estimates). In terms of deductions I will say this. Self employed businesses who deduct any and everything are the biggest red flag in the world for an audit. Yes...deduct your normal business expenses...but don't get greedy on deducting the % of your mortgage that makes up the % of square feet your home office has....if working out of the home. 

Regarding car. Yes. I would suggest getting a mileage app for your phone and just have a system for documentation. When I first started I actually went to HR Block and they have a program/plan (I think it was $400 per year) where they do your quarterlies, annual taxes,etc....and can get you started on the right foot. Everyone makes their own decision. I like to third party my liability. If a mistake on any form or payment is made it's on them to correct. After a couple of years you can upgrade to either doing it yourself or hiring a more seasoned CPA or Tax Attorney. Sure there are costs with the latter....but when running your own business it feels good hitting the pillow when someone else is handling the tax/IRS stuff. Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

You can still file a joint return. Will need to pay taxes for her quarterly. Recommend Quickbooks to take care of all the payroll issues. 

You can definitely deduct mileage and other business expenses/ office supplies. I keep a mileage log. If she has any potential liability concerns, probably worth looking into a S corp or other entity especially if she will be doing this for awhile.

Agree with Seeking about the Solo 401k. It will be advantageous to use a Roth k if you are on the younger side. Here is a decent article that provides some more details- https://thecollegeinvestor.com/18174/comparing-the-most-popular-solo-401k-options/

Sounds like you  would benefit from a good financial advisor and accountant. Good luck!

Archived