Media Day - What We Learned About This Team

From majestic post games, to which freshmen are the biggest "live wires" and students of the game, to who has developed the most -- after months of silence we learned a lot about the 2018-19 Hoosiers yesterday.  I found some of the comments to be perspective changing.

What I learned about this team is that I believe I love Archie Miller more and more each time I hear him speak. He has that no-nonsense, true basketball brain that we all remember fondly about RMK, but he doesn't seem to be the unwavering head case that we know RMK truly was/is. He's the perfect mix of old school coach with modern connection with players. LOVE IT! And he looks like he's about 28 years old. I know it is early in his career at IU, but I think we hit the jackpot with hiring him. He was hardly anyone's first choice, but I don't think I would trade him for anyone coaching right now. 

^^ One knock on CAM has been his teams' shooting and level of scoring. I am looking forward to seeing what he does with a balanced team that now includes high level outside shooting with guys who can slash along with interior play.

CAM talked about how he's more comfortable now after year 1, and how he has returning players who can pass along the system and don't have to learn along with the incoming players. He and IU have a real chance to shine this season. Lots of reasons for optimism, and reasons to watch how CAM leads this kind of team. Looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ One knock on CAM has been his teams' shooting and level of scoring. I am looking forward to seeing what he does with a balanced team that now includes high level outside shooting with guys who can slash along with interior play.

You can't help but think that shooting/scoring is going to improve measurably with the level of talent he's able to bring at a big name school vs. Dayton, but no question, that's something to keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

You can't help but think that shooting/scoring is going to improve measurably with the level of talent he's able to bring at a big name school vs. Dayton, but no question, that's something to keep an eye on.

This is what I'm sort of banking on. We had plenty of open shots last year that our guys just didn't hit. I don't think that had much to do with offensive scheme. Certainly hoping for improvement across the board, including FT shooting....yeesh.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:15 PM, The Daily Hoosier said:

I definitely sensed a reluctance to anoint him as 100 percent ready.

I like to think of it as a veiled challenge to Devonte .

Competitive is definitely the buzzword.   Devonte's potential is so obvious, he is likely being held to higher standards as a PG playing for once as has been said numerous times.  Plus there are both sides of the ball to factor in , and it's easy as fans to get into the habit of assuming it's Green's offense. However, since Rob often guarded the opponent's best backcourt scorer, Green is probably being asked to assume that role as well. A lot of what is said about Devonte is read into his offensive game, but we know the other side of the coin actually matters and factors heavy into who Archie plays the most. It's fair to expect that of him or any Junior who wants a serious chance to end up in the NBA too. That all-around urgency needs to kick in. That part could very well still be up in the air, even if he is improved quite a bit.

We know Juwan embraces the urgency. He seems really natural and kids who are having fun and pushing every player can get a lot of response. Juwan said a lot and it isn't likely to differ from Archie, but his body language is selling a pretty good impression of how things are looking right now in general for this team.  I feel good that someone will respond if it isn't Devonte, but Archie isn't going to assume too much until it happens against different jerseys .Good on him and it's good for the program and keeping his team in the here  and now day in day out. 

I can't wait too see some of these line-ups . 

Archived