Flash vs Substance

Drroogh

I wonder if these impressionable teenage 5 star players are really persuaded by the Hollywood recruiting like Memphis brining in perhaps the most star studded entertainment ever for their Midnight Madness? https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/rumors-of-justin-timberlake-drake-appearance-could-give-memphis-most-star-studded-midnight-madness-lineup-ever

or are they more persuaded by the fan turnout and interaction and play of a Hoosier Hysteria? I suspect, that when it comes time to making a decision substance over glamor wins?

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

If a kid is persuaded by that stuff, I would have concerns about the kids mentality. Short term, it may get them excited. But when they sit and really plan their future, I have to think that stuff plays no role. 

Particularly if the kids parents are involved in the process. 

If the kid loves BASKETBALL then I have to beleive a passionate fanbase showing up at HH would carry even more weight than some star that sings a song and then leaves?

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I wonder if these impressionable teenage 5 star players are really persuaded by the Hollywood recruiting like Memphis brining in perhaps the most star studded entertainment ever for their Midnight Madness? https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/rumors-of-justin-timberlake-drake-appearance-could-give-memphis-most-star-studded-midnight-madness-lineup-ever

or are they more persuaded by the fan turnout and interaction and play of a Hoosier Hysteria? I suspect, that when it comes time to making a decision substance over glamor wins?

I would be more interested in playing for a fanbase that does not need a concert from a music superstar as a reason to show up.  At Indiana, Justin Timberlake does not need to show up and be an attraction because the players already are that.

1 hour ago, hoosierdaddy said:

If you went during Tubby or Pastner's tenure you did not witness actual Memphis basketball.  They, while misguided, are just as rabid and intense as Hoosier fans.

Explain to me what actual Memphis basketball is?  They do have a history of cheating.

2 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

If you went during Tubby or Pastner's tenure you did not witness actual Memphis basketball.  They, while misguided, are just as rabid and intense as Hoosier fans.

Actually she cheered during Calipari’s tenure. And the atmosphere, surrounding environment, fan knowledge, excitement did not compare to IU basketball. Memphis is a big city that has numerous other things to do, which pulls from the excitement unlike the college atmosphere of Bloomington. Just not remotely close IMO.

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Was curious about this so I looked it up and was shocked to see that they were top ten in attendance in 2013-14

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2017/08/09/memphis-tigers-basketball-attendance-hits-35-year-low/552772001/

Fair weather fans though.  46th in 2017 when they went 19-13 and no where on the list last year with an avg attendance of 6,225 in an 18K+ capacity arena.

They play at Fedex Forum, they have huge athletic resources and will be a major competitor with us, if they aren't already.  Similar to us, Memphis has alot to prove this season and next on the court.  I don't have the data but I'd bet money that Memphis was top-15 attendance every year of Calipari.

5 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

They play at Fedex Forum, they have huge athletic resources and will be a major competitor with us, if they aren't already.  Similar to us, Memphis has alot to prove this season and next on the court.  I don't have the data but I'd bet money that Memphis was top-15 attendance every year of Calipari.

Nah.  48th in ‘05

15 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

They joining the SEC soon?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Andre Turner

On Youtube I watched a game from the  84 tournament between Memphis St and Houston and there were plenty of big time players in that game.  Clyde Drexler took off from middle of the lane and totally went over Turner and dunked on him.  I was 13 that year and remember those teams well but it was nice to go back and watch them again.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On Youtube I watched a game from the  84 tournament between Memphis St and Houston and there were plenty of big time players in that game.  Clyde Drexler took off from middle of the lane and totally went over Turner and dunked on him.  I was 13 that year and remember those teams well but it was nice to go back and watch them again.

Bedford

7 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

No, but that's to their advantage.  Run the AAC on an annual basis and recruit kids that can't get into the blue-bloods academically.

I only asked because Memphis has been in so many conferences I can't remember them all.  😉

Archived