Rutger Game Thread

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I know PoHoosier doesn’t suffer a win, but this is a win we should absolutely suffer. 

It's IU football.  Yeah...I was happy at the half...no reason not to be as I saw it.  But I got beat up for saying "negative" things during the MSU loss, so I figured as long as IU is winning everything is good.  Guess not.  LOL. 

Here's looking at the bright side.  IU has had a game like this the last few seasons, but we've lost most of them.  Today, we did just enough to not lose.  Hopefully we've gotten it out of the way for the year.

Also, Debord HAS to get better with the play calling.  We were really aggressive in the first half, and we were dominating.  Then...we come out and run it up the middle three times, and every possession after that was overly conservative.  We cannot win that way.

Always love the W. 

Just my observations:

1. OL still not perfom to level we need.  Should have dominated Rutgers if our lineman are as good as advertised.  

2.  DL did not pressure QB enough.  

3.  PR is a smart, tough QB.  Still unsure of his ability with long ball.  Seems we threw a few more passes more than 20 yd today.  Hope he's capable when called upon.  

7 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Here's looking at the bright side.  IU has had a game like this the last few seasons, but we've lost most of them.  Today, we did just enough to not lose.  Hopefully we've gotten it out of the way for the year.

Also, Debord HAS to get better with the play calling.  We were really aggressive in the first half, and we were dominating.  Then...we come out and run it up the middle three times, and every possession after that was overly conservative.  We cannot win that way.

Appreciate what you are saying here.  But my question is...... who called the play to draw RU offsides, which worked .... but allowed IU to get the big pass play ?  I don't know, but that play locked the game at the end. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Appreciate what you are saying here.  But my question is...... who called the play to draw RU offsides, which worked .... but allowed IU to get the big pass play ?  I don't know, but that play locked the game at the end. 

According to CTA they were going to run the ball.  PR stated he saw the flag and audibled to the pass as he's been coached.  Gutsy of CTA and smart of PR.  We are still a work in progress and I don't see us losing out.  Bowl still possible!

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

We try to draw the other team offsides with the hard count on every other play.  It was a nice twist to add the motion on the hard call.

While that was one good play call that worked, we shouldn't have had to rely on that to win the game.

7 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I don't think we lose out, definitely some winnable games, but have to be better than today. 

If we play like this next week it will be ugly. 

I'm expecting ugly...I mean it's at Columbus...and we simply can't match their talents.  Just my opinion.  For those folks that hold more positive viewpoints...I apologize in advance.  

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

Haven't been able to watch today, just listening to Fisch and Buck.  

Just feels like the whole second half has been "not to lose" instead of trying to put a bad team away.

Same here, I was driving and had the game on the radio. I can tell you the guys on the radio was questioning why IU was playing conservatively. Plus the 4th and 9 in FG territory and you go for it and come away with nothing? I don't know if that was a "gutsy" call by Allen or just plain dumb.

Another team I watch is ND, and Kelley is notorious for playing conservative, drives me nuts!

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Same here, I was driving and had the game on the radio. I can tell you the guys on the radio was questioning why IU was playing conservatively. Plus the 4th and 9 in FG territory and you go for it and come away with nothing? I don't know if that was a "gutsy" call by Allen or just plain dumb.

Another team I watch is ND, and Kelley is notorious for playing conservative, drives me nuts!

The worst part of that 4th down attempt is that IU took a shot into the endzone on both third and fourth down.  If Allen thought they'd be going for it on 4th down, they should have been going for the first down, not taking shots at the endzone.

Archived