Starting 5

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Fitzner is a senior.  I doubt he'll have the kind of learning curve the team did last year.  It's a delicate balancing act between offense and defense and I'd personally like to see a little more offense out of McBob if he gets starter minutes.  As I said elsewhere, if he can average a couple of made 3's, I'd have no problem with him getting starter minutes, but if he keeps passing up open shots, I'd be in favor of bringing him off the bench when the team needs a defensive boost.

Have to add that Fitzner is a very good all-around player, and we brought him in largely because of his ability to space the floor which was so lacking last season. Whether or not he starts, he's going to get good minutes, and as I've said before, it's just as if not more important who finishes. Will be interested to see who is finishing our tight games.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fitzner did not even start for St Mary's lasr season.  He'll come off the bench and help spread the floor.

I'll be honest, I've wondered about that even though St. Mary's was a very good team.  Then I remembered how Michigan did Max Bielfeldt.

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fitzner did not even start for St Mary's lasr season.  He'll come off the bench and help spread the floor.

St. Mary’s didn’t play Fitzner and Lockdale at the same time and Lockdale is their best player, otherwise Fitzner would have been a starter. 

Doesn't St Mary's play a form of the pack-line defense? I don't think it's going to be a tough transition for Fitzner on defense. I personally like what Fitzner brings for spacing the floor and McRoberts should be a defensive spark plug off the bench. With that said, I love what McRoberts brings to the table every night with his hustle and defense. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm looking forward to seeing if/to what extent he has developed / is developing a jumper to go along with his athletic rim attacks

You know, recently I was talking to a friend about how I thought Smith was already a pretty good shooter last year.  Then I went back and looked at the stats, and saw that he was only 3/10 on the entire season.  That honestly surprised me... For whatever reason, I think he has the potential to be a very solid jump shooter.  Must have been the game against Minnesota where he went 2/2 sticking out in my mind.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You know, recently I was talking to a friend about how I thought Smith was already a pretty good shooter last year.  Then I went back and looked at the stats, and saw that he was only 3/10 on the entire season.  That honestly surprised me... For whatever reason, I think he has the potential to be a very solid jump shooter.  Must have been the game against Minnesota where he went 2/2 sticking out in my mind.

He has a very solid shooting stroke but hesitated a lot leading to him not taking a lot of shots he should have taken. If he is more assertive I think he will show he’s a very good shooter from all over the court

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree FW, his mechanics are fine, think it’s just a matter of developing it and putting in the work. We’ll see this season, I think 

23 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Expected starting five for the secret scrimmage:

Green

Romeo

McBob

Smith

Juwan

Top guys expected off the bench:

Al

Fitzner

Phin

Hunter

Not shocked at all by this. That's probably our best five...I hope this means Green is better than Al and not that he just gets first crack at it. 

Found this interesting regarding Smith-

"He’ll likely spend more time on the wing this year, defending more perimeter-oriented players and clearing more room in the frontcourt for Indiana’s bundle of forwards."

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/10/23/2018-2019-player-profile-justin-smith/

Coach SS said he did well vs Loyola. Looks like he is solidly a starter. 

Archived