Team Captains

Hard to imagine a starting lineup with McBob if he is named team captain.  That might mean Justin Smith is coming off the bench at the beginning of the year.  The first set of subs off the bench will not miss a beat and will give instant energy. I wish this season would get here already!

31 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

Hard to imagine a starting lineup with McBob if he is named team captain.  That might mean Justin Smith is coming off the bench at the beginning of the year.  The first set of subs off the bench will not miss a beat and will give instant energy. I wish this season would get here already!

Wasn’t Hartman a captain last year? Not saying McRoberts won’t start, but I don’t think being a captain locks him in as one.

7 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

Wasn’t Hartman a captain last year? Not saying McRoberts won’t start, but I don’t think being a captain locks him in as one.

I think you're right.  I guess I am just trying to justify how Justin Smith wouldn't be starting.  Haha.  I am fine with whomever CAM chooses (not that it matters to anyone if it pleases me or not)  because either one is going to be solid off the bench.  Sometimes as a coach you have find out who plays better as a starter vs off the bench, even if it means the best talent isn't on the floor at the beginning.

11 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

I see no reason why a captain can't come off the bench and lead a second unit.  Don't the players have some say in this?  I imagine Zach has their respect coming in and doing what he's doing off scholarship.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

I think you're right.  I guess I am just trying to justify how Justin Smith wouldn't be starting.  Haha.  I am fine with whomever CAM chooses (not that it matters to anyone if it pleases me or not)  because either one is going to be solid off the bench.  Sometimes as a coach you have find out who plays better as a starter vs off the bench, even if it means the best talent isn't on the floor at the beginning.

Yes and it's also 1) who plays better with who and 2) who finishes.

There's always so much focus on the starters when, really, who finishes is often more important.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes and it's also 1) who plays better with who and 2) who finishes.

There's always so much focus on the starters when, really, who finishes is often more important.

I agree and disagree a little. I think starting is important but like you said who fits better together but the real determination in my opinion is the amount of minutes in quality time. Not mop up time etc.. Not necessarily who is finishing but at the end of the year look to see who was getting the minutes when the game was close. On most teams my 6th man seemed to be at the top in minutes played each year. Maybe that is why I am a former coach😀

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I agree and disagree a little. I think starting is important but like you said who fits better together but the real determination in my opinion is the amount of minutes in quality time. Not mop up time etc.. Not necessarily who is finishing but at the end of the year look to see who was getting the minutes when the game was close. On most teams my 6th man seemed to be at the top in minutes played each year. Maybe that is why I am a former coach😀

Agree that minutes when game is close is a good barometer, but that's a pretty hard stat to track. By who finishes I'm not talking about "mop up" minutes, I'm talking about close games at the end (and that's easier to track). Starters set the tone and generally play significant minutes at least in the first half, yes, they're important and not trying to suggest otherwise, but the guys who are called on to finish games are just as if not more important. Who can win the game when it's a battle down the stretch? That's often more important than who starts the game off.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree that minutes when game is close is a good barometer, but that's a pretty hard stat to track. By who finishes I'm not talking about "mop up" minutes, I'm talking about close games at the end (and that's easier to track). Starters set the tone and generally play significant minutes at least in the first half, yes, they're important and not trying to suggest otherwise, but the guys who are called on to finish games are just as if not more important. Who can win the game when it's a battle down the stretch? That's often more important than who starts the game off.

Agree 100%. I was never big on the +- rating until I got a very good manager that understood how to do it correctly same as the minutes. That became part of the training we did for our managers after that. Players can get their own water bottle and towel give me a person on an ipad that can keep stats etc and have them printed out for me at any time that is what we were looking for.

54 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Agree 100%. I was never big on the +- rating until I got a very good manager that understood how to do it correctly same as the minutes. That became part of the training we did for our managers after that. Players can get their own water bottle and towel give me a person on an ipad that can keep stats etc and have them printed out for me at any time that is what we were looking for.

Could be fun to track who CAM plays in crunch time games down the stretch this season, including on whether that changes during the season, or in relation to certain matchups. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Could be fun to track who CAM plays in crunch time games down the stretch this season, including on whether that changes during the season, or in relation to certain matchups. 

Yes it would.  I think it will be hard to keep McBob of the court in crunch time. He does all the little things u need to win

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I see no reason why a captain can't come off the bench and lead a second unit.  Don't the players have some say in this?  I imagine Zach has their respect coming in and doing what he's doing off scholarship.

I was just saying that it is possible for a captain to come off the bench. Wasn't saying or implying anything about who's more deserving or likely to start. 

5 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

I was just saying that it is possible for a captain to come off the bench. Wasn't saying or implying anything about who more deserving or likely to start. 

Oh I get it...was actually agreeing with you there. McBob may start early, but I expect someone to eventually pass him on the depth chart this season.

9 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

Because he plays a different position than McRoberts and Fitzner starts over Smith. 

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Because he plays a different position than McRoberts and Fitzner starts over Smith. 

I won't argue who is starting over Smith, there will be 5 of those. I think you will see Smith in the game with Morgan and another forward (possibly Thompson). If he is pinholed into just a 4, that is going to be troubling for Thompson, Forrester, Moore, and Davis.  If you include Morgan and Fitzner, there would be 7 players for two spots.  Out of those players, I can see him elevating his game to be able to guard 3-5 more so than any of the other 6.  

4 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

I won't argue who is starting over Smith, there will be 5 of those. I think you will see Smith in the game with Morgan and another forward (possibly Thompson). If he is pinholed into just a 4, that is going to be troubling for Thompson, Forrester, Moore, and Davis.  If you include Morgan and Fitzner, there would be 7 players for two spots.  Out of those players, I can see him elevating his game to be able to guard 3-5 more so than any of the other 6.  

I agree he is most likely of that group to get time at the 3, and he could do it, but I also dont think three of those guys will play much (Davis, Moore and Forrester).

It is so interesting to see all the different thoughts about who will be playing and who won't be.  I am really high on Thompson, but during the scrimmage Moore and Forrester held their own.  There are not enough minutes to go around.  "Sacrifice" was the word Coach Miller used, which means he is high on a lot of them, too. There is going to be so much competition at every spot, except Langford and Morgan.  I just can't wait to see CAM put it together and start winning some dang games.  

11 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

It is so interesting to see all the different thoughts about who will be playing and who won't be.  I am really high on Thompson, but during the scrimmage Moore and Forrester held their own.  There are not enough minutes to go around.  "Sacrifice" was the word Coach Miller used, which means he is high on a lot of them, too. There is going to be so much competition at every spot, except Langford and Morgan.  I just can't wait to see CAM put it together and start winning some dang games.  

Glad you started posting! :)

Archived