Team Captains

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

DobXyaMWsAE_clX.jpgTom Crean did not believe in team captains.

I do.  And I think these two are the right choices. Whether chosen by Coach Miller, or voted on by the players.

I don't guess I paid attention.  Crean had none?  Wonder what his reasoning was?

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't guess I paid attention.  Crean had none?  Wonder what his reasoning was?

Not saying Crean did not have team captains.... just that he did not believe in them. Crean named Yogi team captain in 2015. And as memory serves, Yogi was sole captain that year.  Overall, Crean preferred not to name a team captain, let alone two.  His reasoning was that he would prefer players to take charge on the court during a game, while they were in. 

Personally, I feel the rest of the team needs someone to look to, in certain situations.  Not guess who is leading them. 

On 10/5/2018 at 4:30 PM, milehiiu said:

Not saying Crean did not have team captains.... just that he did not believe in them. Crean named Yogi team captain in 2015. And as memory serves, Yogi was sole captain that year.  Overall, Crean preferred not to name a team captain, let alone two.  His reasoning was that he would prefer players to take charge on the court during a game, while they were in. 

Personally, I feel the rest of the team needs someone to look to, in certain situations.  Not guess who is leading them. 

Yeah, and now that I think about it, one of the things Crean’s squads almost always lacked was a sense of hierarchy, with the exception of whenever Yogi was on the floor, and even then, at times.

Imbuing a couple guys with that particular symbolic nobility is as old as organized team sport, it must be ritual for a reason, yeah? Methinks it was Crean being a contrarian in an area he believed in, but which he also must have thought was fairly benign.

21 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Yeah, and now that I think about it, one of the things Crean’s squads almost always lacked was a sense of hierarchy, with the exception of whenever Yogi was on the floor, and even then, at times.

Imbuing a couple guys with that particular symbolic nobility is as old as organized team sport, it must be ritual for a reason, yeah? Methinks it was Crean being a contrarian in an area be believed in, but which he also must have thought was fairly benign.

Now explain that to me in English!!!!!  LOL

3 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Crean wasn’t even going to allow Yogi to run the team his senior year.  Remember when he would play Yogi off the ball so Blackmon could get time at the point?  I’ve always thought that one of the main reasons we got so much better after Blackmon went down in 2015 was that it allowed the ball to always be in Yogi’s hands like it should have been in the first place.

54 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Crean wasn’t even going to allow Yogi to run the team his senior year.  Remember when he would play Yogi off the ball so Blackmon could get time at the point?  I’ve always thought that one of the main reasons we got so much better after Blackmon went down in 2015 was that it allowed the ball to always be in Yogi’s hands like it should have been in the first place.

Completely agree. I remember calling for Blackmon to be benched before his injury, partly because of his defense and turnovers, but mainly because of your point that it needed to be “Yogi’s team”, and for some reason Crean wanted it split. It was unfortunate for Blackmon, but his injury kind of forced Crean’s hand. 

Archived