Should IU Fans Be Concerned About Corruption Trial

34 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Haha, okay.  Pretty weak response here, but you’ve kind of backed yourself into a corner.  I said earlier in this thread that I’m not at all concerned, as IU doesnt appear likely to be implicated in anything major, and even if they were, nothing would be done about it.  But it’s your prerogative if you want to continue to stick your head in the sand about how college basketball works.

Are you serious? Good grief, you really think what you linked means ANYTHING?? If you really want me to walk through that clap trap I will.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would be very interested in knowing how the fanbases of the schools implicated will react.  Do Creighton fans get all high and mighty and demand changes because their university's image has been stained.  Or, are they secretly okay with it because they feel like they have climbed a long-hard hill to compete in big time athletics and need an extra edge to sustain success.

Looking at it from that view, let's take FW Hoosier's perspective and throw a random number out there like 90% of big time college basketball programs are cheating to some degree, because it's necessary to compete.  As a fan base, are we, IU fans, okay with being in the 90% if it brings success  Or, would we hold steady and demand full compliance even if it meant we would forever more be a 2nd tier program.

When in Rome do as the Romans do?

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Are you serious? Good grief, you really think what you linked means ANYTHING?? If you really want me to walk through that clap trap I will.

Lol please don’t, as I already know everything you’re going to say.  Like I said, you can argue that the evidence is unconvincing to you, but you can’t argue that it doesn’t exist.  

For me personally, knowing everything we now know about how college basketball recruiting works, and having talked with multiple people directly involved with college basketball programs including IU, I’m very confident IU was engaging in “dirty” recruiting under Crean.  Definitely to a lesser extent than other schools, which explains some of his misses on high profile guys, but dirty nonetheless.  I just don’t understand how you could come to a different conclusion looking at all the facts.  But everyone is going to have different opinions.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I would be very interested in knowing how the fanbases of the schools implicated will react.  Do Creighton fans get all high and mighty and demand changes because their university's image has been stained.  Or, are they secretly okay with it because they feel like they have climbed a long-hard hill to compete in big time athletics and need an extra edge to compete.

Looking at it from that perspective, let's take FW Hoosier's perspective and throw a random number out there like 90% of big time college basketball programs are cheating to some degree, because it's necessary to compete.  As a fan base, are we, IU fans, okay with being in the 90% if it brings success  Or, would we hold steady and demand full compliance even if it meant we would forever more be a 2nd tier program.

I look at it this way...as long as there is a serious effort to enforce the rules, I don't want to be in the 90%.

If, on the other hand, the NCAA appears disinterested in enforcing the rules to the point that literally, no one is being held accountable, I'd throw up my hands and say, OK...let's pay players too.  What are rules if no one is enforcing them?  Worthless is my opinion.

For the record, while it's obviously significant, I don't believe it's anywhere near 90% so I would want my school to do things the right way as long as there is some indication that the rules are going to be enforced for the most part and that cheaters are punished to the point that it's not worth it for them to cheat.  I'm naive enough to thing that this investigation is a wake up call and that going forward, there's going to be less cheating and I really struggle with the idea of rooting for a school I know is cheating even if I have a strong suspicion that the "best" programs are.

I'm to the point where I don't want IU ever to be involved with the agents like some schools are. At the same time if we can use our considerable resources and connections and maximize the gray area I'm fine with it. The clean world has never been around. Wooden perfected the art of cheating so this isn't something that just happened.

Trust me if I ever won one of these huge lotteries....at my check acceptance I would say IU start building one of those Wildcat Lounges for the players. And my helping wouldn't stop there.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Well we have Cuban???????  

True.  And while I would never want to denigrate what Cuban has done for IU sports.... it has been more subdued than others.  Cuban has publicly admitted he could do much, much more.... but refuses to do so, because he has a "hard on" for the NCAA.

Not only could Cuban do more for IU,  like Pickens has done for OSU.... Cuban has the ability to raise IU to the level that Knight has done at Oregon.

Nike co-founder and Oregon alum Phil Knight on giving back: 'Without Oregon and Stanford there... 

Lastly.  Let me please clarify one thing.  It is one thing to be a benefactor which is totally acceptable, and a creep working behind the scene for their own benefit which is not acceptable. 

Cuban could do more.  But chooses not to do so. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would be very interested in knowing how the fanbases of the schools implicated will react.  Do Creighton fans get all high and mighty and demand changes because their university's image has been stained.  Or, are they secretly okay with it because they feel like they have climbed a long-hard hill to compete in big time athletics and need an extra edge to sustain success.

Looking at it from that view, let's take FW Hoosier's perspective and throw a random number out there like 90% of big time college basketball programs are cheating to some degree, because it's necessary to compete.  As a fan base, are we, IU fans, okay with being in the 90% if it brings success  Or, would we hold steady and demand full compliance even if it meant we would forever more be a 2nd tier program.

Nope, I would rather never win another championship than be caught up with this scandal

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I try not to be naive, and I am sure that underhanded things have been done pretty much everywhere.  If we are going to dive into the gutter because “everyone” is doing it and we have do it in order to compete, then I will simply walk away.  If we do not strive to operate with integrity, I’m out.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Here is a question......"What if the NCAA all of the sudden changes their rules?"  Because of this FBI probe and trial.

In my opinion, you abide by the rules that are currently in place.

If new rules are enacted that provide for more flexibility/leniency, whatever you want to call it, then you adjust to them.

In saying that, you can't use the new rules to try to justify previous behavior. If you were doing something that was illegal under old rules and is now legal, you are still guilty. 

It would be the same situation that we faced with Sampson. The NCAA changed the rules on phone contacts but at the time he was in charge, his staff was breaking the current rules 

Archived