2018-19 Player Preview: Damezi Anderson

He's an interesting player for sure. I hope he has the patience to stick around as I think this year minutes will be sparse for him. Depending on early departures/returnees/development, he could be coming off the bench in limited minutes again next year and it may be his Junior year before he could see significant minutes.

Excited to see his growth.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

He's an interesting player for sure. I hope he has the patience to stick around as I think this year minutes will be sparse for him. Depending on early departures/returnees/development, he could be coming off the bench in limited minutes again next year and it may be his Junior year before he could see significant minutes.

I think he starts at the 2 in 19. If he can continue to work on his quickness and defense I don't see why he couldn't be our starting 2 guard. I don't see Romeo staying and his vacancy means we will need shooting at that spot. I think Damezi is the perfect fit to slide into that spot. If he can guard the position he could swing back and forth between the 2 and 3...I think he is a natural wing. I'm sure if we land Keion they both would compete for the spot but with a year experience I think Anderson can lock down solid playing time....but maybe others that are more familiar with his game can let me know if he couldn't play the two.

And as always a big THANK YOU to @The Daily Hoosier for his information!

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

Posts like this is what makes me "Grumpy".  We are excited we got him.  Comes from an area that we don't recruit well in.  And now you "hope he has the patience to stick around"?  And then you make prediction that he will not see significant minutes until his junior year?  JSMH.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Posts like this is what makes me "Grumpy".  We are excited we got him.  Comes from an area that we don't recruit well in.  And now you "hope he has the patience to stick around"?  And then you make prediction that he will not see significant minutes until his junior year?  JSMH.

LOL...that Dakich avatar is fitting...

Just the same, I'm glad you're here, Rico...we need variety!

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...that Dakich avatar is fitting...

Just the same, I'm glad you're here, Rico...we need variety!

Ya know, I could have picked the avvy with me holding a gun and a squirrel.  I loved KoB's for me as I am a beer drinker, ice fish, and have one of those Russian hats.  "You want the truth"?  LOL  But there is a story behind the DD avvy.  A fellow member lifted me up when I was feeling down.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Man, you sure seem grumpy!   🤣

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think he starts at the 2 in 19. If he can continue to work on his quickness and defense I don't see why he couldn't be our starting 2 guard. I don't see Romeo staying and his vacancy means we will need shooting at that spot. I think Damezi is the perfect fit to slide into that spot. If he can guard the position he could swing back and forth between the 2 and 3...I think he is a natural wing. I'm sure if we land Keion they both would compete for the spot but with a year experience I think Anderson can lock down solid playing time....but maybe others that are more familiar with his game can let me know if he couldn't play the two.

And as always a big THANK YOU to @The Daily Hoosier for his information!

We'll see how his game is coming along, but IMO he hasn't shown the handles to play the 2 historically.  I agree though, there should be an opening for a shooter there.

20 hours ago, IUaic said:

IMO, I don’t see how he doesn’t get minutes this year.  People complain that we don’t have outside shooting, and yet one of the kids who brings that skill set isn’t going to get minutes?!  He’s not going to start, but I think he’ll get more minutes than you and others think, just based on his ability to shoot the ball.

4 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

IMO, I don’t see how he doesn’t get minutes this year.  People complain that we don’t have outside shooting, and yet one of the kids who brings that skill set isn’t going to get minutes?!  He’s not going to start, but I think he’ll get more minutes than you and others think, just based on his ability to shoot the ball.

I don't see him completely left out of the minutes either since things like foul trouble seem likely force him into some amount of action sooner or later. He shouldn't feel much pressure to shine  right away which is good if what Mile added is the case right now.   In the early season games he figures to surely get opportunities in , Anderson needs to do what the feature explains. 

To consider the argument I disagree with that he might not play so much this year, it is logicial although not very savory to me rooting for Damezi to have a great year and career. .  ,  DA does not seem as likely(IMO) as a kid like Hunter is to force Archie's hand for extended time.

Forrester's personality could also literally make IU a different team when he sees time, and in a similar body  type, Jake offers a huge contrast to Anderson's more mellow nature . Although Archie is subtle in how he outwardly expresses it himself., Jake arguably embodies Archie's own mean streak and competitiveness the most as players on this roster go. 

Plus there is the possibility the backcourt increasingly becomes a strength which could shift Miller to Smaller line-ups,  with either more talent or more experience than DA coming off the bench first on the wing. Then there  is mention of improved shooting by Smith, Morgan, and McRoberts. . Fitz shooting lights out and Davis's size potentially factoring in down the road if his conditioning improves adequately. One or more of the current returnees and/ or Freshmen could very well become obscured in the mix and  likely will. . 

Even at worst case with his own playing time, barring some serious discord arising within the team , I think Anderson neither packs up and leaves over it ever, nor fails to warrant higher usage as he progresses in Miller's system.  Slim to no chance he goes anywhere if the team is winning and he feels he is developing at a rate suitable to his liking.. Anderson is a winner first and foremost, and he was viewed as one of the harder commits IU got out of this class as earlier kids typically are..  Even if prospects like TJD and Brooks both commit, and DA doesn't have a steady year, he is coachable and experience will move to being on his side, so I'm not counting him out before he plays when he is on IU's roster and the others are not guarantees yet. .  No concern at all that he won;t succeed at IU before his days playing for Miller are all said and done.  

It might not be major minutes this year but if he learns to play the defense necessary and keep his man in front of him...he shoots way way too good not to play a lot by his sophomore year. Robert will do most of the facilitating and ball handling letting DA run off screens and face up. Plus he can punish smaller guards down low.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:02 PM, rico said:

I count this as a win.

You think he is playing in front of Romeo this year or Hunter next year? I don't and that was the point.

Archived