Jump to content

The Pale Blue Dot of IU Football


Recommended Posts

With the commitment and flip from OSU of Sampson James, I kind of came to a realization, and there was no good topic to post this in, so I thought it was fitting to start a new one.

I read pretty much all the IU message boards (though only really post here), and something I just can't get past is the incessant negativity towards our football program.  I'm sick of reading about how IU doesn't spend enough on football facilities or coaches salaries (gripes I don't really see here by the way), which are patently absurd arguments.  I'll be the first to admit, I can get down on some of the play-calling and coaching decisions here and there, but IU football is just a different animal now than when I was a kid or even when I was a student at IU .

I've been watching IU football my entire life (mid 30's), and I've seen us be really, REALLY bad, but we are past that now.  It's now an expectation to be winning 6 games.  Even just a few years ago, winning ANY games in a season was a good thing.  We have truly turned the corner.  I mean, honestly, it's still not out of the realm of possibility that IU could turn in an 8 win season, though that's not an expectation of mine at this point.

I have to give credit to Wilson for starting us on this path, but I think Allen is really going to bring IU football to success it's never seen, and, in my view, he's a coach that will be here for years.  With the way we responded on offense against OSU (a game we were never going to win) after somewhat of a second half debacle at Rutgers, the increased toughness and determination I see every season, and the recruiting that is only getting better and better, I think IU is going to be coming on REALLY strong in the next few years.

In short, though we may struggle a bit this year as our team is really young and we play in THE toughest division in the entirety of college football, the future has never been brighter for IU football.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are so many things I could add to this, but I will start with one that sticks out in my mind. Or four if you will.  Dave Schnell, Anthony Thompson, Chris Dittoe, and Vaughn Dunbar.  All 4 were highly sought after recruits that all went to IU in what I call my glory days of IU football.  All 4 were Indiana kids.  3 of those were from Northern Indiana.  IU needs to lock down the state.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our recruiting has really picked up under Allen.  He's already recruited a handful of highly rated guys, and he's without a doubt brought up our depth.  No more 2 star fill ins.  All the guys coming in can play.

I really think Allen will be the one to get us to where our expectations are 7 or 8+ wins every year with the occasional 9 or 10 win season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great post rogue.

Here's where I stand.  At least in terms of recruiting. It seems to me that no longer is IU a place where kids go when they can't go anywhere else.  Reflecting back to a kid I knew  from Dover, Ohio. With exceptions. of course. But rather, where talented kids want to come to IU to not only make a name for themselves, but also help raise the level of the program.

IU was just on national television, this past weekend.  And though IU lost, in my mind, acquitted themselves admirably against what may very well be the best team in the nation. Kids saw that. And some may be saying to themselves.... "I can make the difference, and go down in history for doing so. "

Many realize that IU plays in arguably the toughest division in all of college football. And they want to be a part of that. 

At least that's what I am thinking. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Great post rogue.

Here's where I stand.  At least in terms of recruiting. It seems to me that no longer is IU a place where kids go when they can't go anywhere else.  Reflecting back to a kid I knew (Incargnito) from Ohio. With exceptions. of course. But rather, where talented kids want to come to IU to not only make a name for themselves, but also help raise the level of the program.

IU was just on national television, this past weekend.  And though IU lost, in my mind, acquitted themselves admirably against what may very well be the best team in the nation. Kids saw that. And some may be saying to themselves.... "I can make the difference, and go down in history for doing so. "

Many realize that IU plays in arguably the toughest division in all of college football. And they want to be a part of that. 

At least that's what I am thinking. 

Great insight Mile! I have often wondered the same thing, but I am always the optimist. You have to think that a lot of these 4 and 5 star Indiana kids are really starting to take notice and be "the difference "!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Great insight Mile! I have often wondered the same thing, but I am always the optimist. You have to think that a lot of these 4 and 5 star Indiana kids are really starting to take notice and be "the difference "!

Thank you. For me... it's more than just Indiana kids.  Particularly, speed kids from Florida, and big bodies out of Ohio and Texas.  Tons of talent in those states. Other schools come to Indiana to poach our talent for BB.  And now, it is my belief, IU is becoming a legit option to and for out of state talent for FB.  Especially, when one considers the division IU plays in.  Who would not want to be a part of that ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you. For me... it's more than just Indiana kids.  Particularly, speed kids from Florida, and big bodies out of Ohio and Texas.  Tons of talent in those states. Other schools come to Indiana to poach our talent for BB.  And now, it is my belief, IU is becoming a legit option to and for out of state talent for FB.  Especially, when one considers the division IU plays in.  Who would not want to be a part of that ?

Put me in Coach!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

With the commitment and flip from OSU of Sampson James, I kind of came to a realization, and there was no good topic to post this in, so I thought it was fitting to start a new one.

I read pretty much all the IU message boards (though only really post here), and something I just can't get past is the incessant negativity towards our football program.  I'm sick of reading about how IU doesn't spend enough on football facilities or coaches salaries (gripes I don't really see here by the way), which are patently absurd arguments.  I'll be the first to admit, I can get down on some of the play-calling and coaching decisions here and there, but IU football is just a different animal now than when I was a kid or even when I was a student at IU .

I've been watching IU football my entire life (mid 30's), and I've seen us be really, REALLY bad, but we are past that now.  It's now an expectation to be winning 6 games.  Even just a few years ago, winning ANY games in a season was a good thing.  We have truly turned the corner.  I mean, honestly, it's still not out of the realm of possibility that IU could turn in an 8 win season, though that's not an expectation of mine at this point.

I have to give credit to Wilson for starting us on this path, but I think Allen is really going to bring IU football to success it's never seen, and, in my view, he's a coach that will be here for years.  With the way we responded on offense against OSU (a game we were never going to win) after somewhat of a second half debacle at Rutgers, the increased toughness and determination I see every season, and the recruiting that is only getting better and better, I think IU is going to be coming on REALLY strong in the next few years.

In short, though we may struggle a bit this year as our team is really young and we play in THE toughest division in the entirety of college football, the future has never been brighter for IU football.

I am in your age group (33 for now), and this post is spot on with how I feel the program is going.  I only have one word.....agreed. 

This is an IU program  that doesn't get their ass beat all over the field like we grew up with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Our recruiting has really picked up under Allen.  He's already recruited a handful of highly rated guys, and he's without a doubt brought up our depth.  No more 2 star fill ins.  All the guys coming in can play.

I really think Allen will be the one to get us to where our expectations are 7 or 8+ wins every year with the occasional 9 or 10 win season.

Couldn't have said better myself. I hope this plays out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that IU football is on the rise, I have attended games in the early 90's and have seen our Hoosiers play some very talented B1G teams. I loved watching Alex Smith and John Paci play hard and with heart but, those that have followed the team through the years can see our improvement in recruiting/Offense/Defense/player development (NFL players) and coaching even. We also understand as noted by others above, that our division has historically been very tough. The casual CFB fan and football fans in general dont really see how we improved, mostly just that we lost.....our overall FB perception is still very,very low. Recruits on the other hand seem to be more open to playing for the IUFB team, as we are a P5 team with amazing facilities / revenue stream & a high scoring/fast offense and a defense that gives you an opportunity to make an impact and actually play as a Fr/So.

For those familiar: ESPN has a fantasy game called "The Streak". each day they offer a variety of matchups where you pick 1 of 2 options, the goal is to have the longest streak of "wins" for each given month and win $25K with a chance to win more. Some are straight up picks and others at times are rather interesting, for example -> 

Saturday, "The Streak" had an option for the O$U vs. IU game:

        Who will score more points:   IU all game or tie  ----   O$U 1st half

                                                                    (26)                              (28)

It seems as if the pundits didnt think too highly of our Hoosiers coming in to that game, and as you can see we didnt "win" that streak matchup either.

It feels to me personally that, we are at the cusp of having a signature win against one or two of the B1G powerhouse teams and with that the recognition of rising from the cellar of the B1G to a team you have to gameplan against year after year. Does anyone else feels that if IU (with its basketball history and prestige) had a football team that annually won 8 (or more lol) games a year or possibly started producing consistent 1st- 2nd or 3rd round NFL draft picks,  could be one of only a handfull of universities that could dominate Sponsorships / revenue / TV and media coverages August through March each year with mentions during April-July with our new found recruiting prowess due to that success.

Wait, are these crimson colored glasses?   😎

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...