Trivia

rico

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

IIRC Morgan captured Corydon and made his march north to Vernon  and Johnson captured Newburgh in early 1862. 

Prior to Morgan's raid was Hines raid.  A group of confederates went to Paoli posing as Union Soldiers to meet with a leader of a group called The Knights of the Golden Circle who promised to raise a force of 10,000 and capture the state. But they were discovered while in Paoli and escape back across the Ohio.  

Indiana has some Interesting civil war history. 

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Since we're on the Civil War...

Who was the only U.S. President to serve in the Confederacy during the Civil War?

Took me a bit because I was stuck on military service.  

John Tyler was elected to the Confederate house of representatives. 

Was William Henry Harrisons vice president and became president when Harrison died. 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Took me a bit because I was stuck on military service.  

John Tyler was elected to the Confederate house of representatives. 

Was William Henry Harrisons vice president and became president when Harrison died. 

Yes indeed...he helped set up the Confederacy, but died in 1862 after serving in the Confederate Congress...

Staying on topic who was the only Confederate soldier to be charged and convicted of crimes of war ?

In 8th grade US History we end with the Civil War and in 11th grade pick up with Reconstruction.  On the last day for 8th graders I asked that same question for 20 bonus points. The catch they cannot answer it until 1st day of 11th grade US history.  One year I asked the question and 1 student walked up to my large bookcase pulled the corner away from the wall and grabbed a piece of paper that he had taped there when he was an 8th grader with the correct answer on it. He taped it there right after class 3 years of earlier. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Staying on topic who was the only Confederate soldier to be charged and convicted of crimes of war ?

In 8th grade US History we end with the Civil War and in 11th grade pick up with Reconstruction.  On the last day for 8th graders I asked that same question for 20 bonus points. The catch they cannot answer it until 1st day of 11th grade US history.  One year I asked the question and 1 student walked up to my large bookcase pulled the corner away from the wall and grabbed a piece of paper that he had taped there when he was an 8th grader with the correct answer on it. He taped it there right after class 3 years of earlier. 

Ok, I cant remember the name but pretty sure he had something to do with Andersonville.

Sounds like a clever student. Did he get his bonus points?

36 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Mantle and the infamous Rose? Just trying to think of the best switch hitters I could think of

Pete Rose? 500 HRs?

Mantle one time said of Rose, "If I'd have played my career hitting singles like Pete, I'd have worn a dress."

He also, along with Whitey Ford, gave Rose the nickname " Charlie Hustle" and it wasn't a compliment...

Apparently The Mick was not a fan...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Pete Rose? 500 HRs?

Mantle one time said of Rose, "If I'd have played my career hitting singles like Pete, I'd have worn a dress."

He also, along with Whitey Ford, gave Rose the nickname " Charlie Hustle" and it wasn't a compliment...

Nicknamed at the All star game correct?

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nicknamed at the All star game correct?

Found 2 good takes on it...

"The most commonly held story is that he gave Pete Rose the nickname after Rose drew a walk in a spring training game, but instead of jogging up the line, he sprinted.

However, according to Mickey Mantle, that wasn’t the first time Ford called him that.  Rather, it was in a spring training game where Mickey Mantle hit a home run way out of the ballpark; rather than just watch it sail overhead, Rose ran to the wall and jumped as high as he could to try to catch the ball that was long gone.  Mantle stated that when he got back to the dugout, Ford said “Did you see Charlie Hustle out there?”

We played the New York Yankees in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. And I did a couple of things in that game and Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford were talking to the New York press after the game and Mickey said to Whitey—or Whitey said to Mickey—‘Did you see that? Charlie Hustle beat us today!’

“And the next day in the New York paper it said, ‘Charlie Hustle Beats Yanks.’

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd always heard it was spring training when Rose walked then, in Pete Rose fashion, sprinted to first...but could have been at an AS game...

Getting old my memory is fuzzy. Soon as you said Spring Training I knew you were correct.  It was meant as an insult but Pete wore it with pride

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Pete Rose? 500 HRs?

Yeah I should of known that, he was more a contact hitter than power hitter

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Easy trivia today . 

Name the only 2 members of the 500 homerun club that were switch hitters?

Damn. I actually would have known these two. Mick because I stared at his baseball card I had for years and Eddie Murray because of well....he was Eddie Murray. 

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Here is an underhand pitch especially for all the Reds fans on board. 

Who was the pitcher that gave up hit number 4192 and what team did he play for? Life did not go well for him after that night.

Know this one as well....but I remember him more for planting a fastball in Andre Dawson's face and setting off a brawl.