Trivia

rico

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Art Grove?

Bingo.  Robert Arthur "Art" Grove.  Hell of a player, but I was told he tore his son Jeff's junior high games apart so viciously that Jeff said the hell with it and never played a high school game.  Younger brother Sam "Slammin' Sammy" Grove was a starter on the 1978 Hatchet's team that coughed up a 10-point lead with two minutes to go against Terre Haute South in the semi-state finals. The guy that told me the story said Jeff was a lot better than Sam, and I thought Sam was a very good player.  John Brown from the 1978 WHS team still holds the single game field goal percentage at USI (then ISUE).  1979 Mr. Basketball Steve Bouchie was a junior on that team.  All they lacked in my opinion was a competent coach.

Art was a hell of a player.  In his soph year, he had an attack of appendicitis between the afternoon and night game and was unable to play the game Washington lost.  Washington won the state the next two years with Art running the team and thus, Art never lost a tournament game he played in.

https://hoopshall.com/inductees/robert-grove/

Edited by FKIM01

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Bingo.  Robert Arthur "Art" Grove.  Hell of a player, but I was told he tore his son Jeff's junior high games apart so viciously that Jeff said the hell with it and never played a high school game.  Younger brother Sam "Slammin' Sammy" Grove was a starter on the 1978 Hatchet's team that coughed up a 10-point lead with two minutes to go against Terre Haute South in the semi-state finals. The guy that told me the story said Jeff was a lot better than Sam, and I thought Sam was a very good player.  John Brown from the 1978 WHS team still holds the single game field goal percentage at USI (then ISUE).  1979 Mr. Basketball Steve Bouchie was a junior on that team.  All they lacked in my opinion was a competent coach.

Art was a hell of a player.  In his soph year, he had an attack of appendicitis between the afternoon and night game and was unable to play the game Washington lost.  Washington won the state the next two years with Art running the team and thus, Art never lost a tournament game he played in.

https://hoopshall.com/inductees/robert-grove/

Didn't John Brown transfer from Washington Catholic to play his senior year at WHS?

I went to First Baptist church with a guy named John Brown. Knew him pretty well. Could be a different John though this timeline fits

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't know the answer but I know some of you guys will. I need your help. Chris Taylor became the 2nd player ever to hit 3 hr in a playoff game and also hit a walk off in the playoffs that same year. Not sure who was the first I went through both lists and no one else is on both. Please help.

Does "playoff game" encompass the World Series?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nope,  unless my info is incorrect. My track record as of late it might be

Aha! Pete Rose! I had discounted him at first because I was only factoring in the 2 World Series Championships as a Red...Forgot he got one as a Phillie too...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Aha! Pete Rose! I had discounted him at first because I was only factoring in the 2 World Series Championships as a Red...Forgot he got one as a Phillie too...

You are correct. Not to mention 3 batting titles, 17 all star appearances (5 different positions) I believe he is the only person to start all star games at 5 different positions. 

• Like 1