Trivia

rico

What former Major Leaguer  from Indiana, when  in the Little League World Series, took just five swings at the ball in three games.... each one good for a homer on the first pitch.  And was intentionally walked the other five times he came to the plate ? 

Hint, he is from NWI, and played for Valpo University, before going into the majors. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

What former Major Leaguer  from Indiana, when  in the Little League World Series, took just five swings at the ball in three games.... each one good for a homer on the first pitch.  And was intentionally walked the other five times he came to the plate ? 

Hint, he is from NWI, and played for Valpo University, before going into the majors. 

Lloyd McClendon

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Damn you are on it.  That be correct.  The guy that shot him pleaded insanity and he won.  IIRC he spent about 20 months in an institution and then was free as a bird.  

I love watching Crime type documentaries and court stuff.  He played with the the Angels and was Gary I believe. I cant remember the name of the show that was on. I was just intrigued any time it happens in Indiana.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I love watching Crime type documentaries and court stuff.  He played with the the Angels and was Gary I believe. I cant remember the name of the show that was on. I was just intrigued any time it happens in Indiana.

He got his start with the Twins.  He got shot and killed in Gary.  He had family there.

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Who is the NFL player that fought Muhammad Ali in an exibition match?

Ooh, Ooh,  I know the answer, 'cause I was there !

Lyle Alzado, when he was a Denver Bronco.  Match was held outdoors at the old Mile High Stadium. 

A couple of years later, I met Ali. A very nice man.

ap_7907141159.jpg?itok=XerhJJoL

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I was a baseball obsessed kid of 13 when Bostock was killed.  I still cearly remember my dad teling me about it at breakfast the morning after it happened.

Yeah, it was just sad.  I often wonder what if?  The guy was a beast on the field.  What if he played an entire career?

I want to expand on Carl Erskine a tad.  I don't know how many years ago it was because I am getting old.  But I got called into the office to get a job assignment.  It was in Anderson and it was Erskine elementary school.  At first the name didn't register...but it didn't take long as I remember my Dad talking about Carl Erskine in my youth and what a great pitcher he was.  So I go down to Anderson to take a look at the job as my company was hired to do the siding on the school.  The school wasn't ready for us to start our job.......but the baseball field was done.  So I am standing outside looking and trying to figure out a time frame as to when I could get my crew there.  I was smoking a cigarette when I hear this voice..."Son, you need to give up that nasty habit".  I spun around and there is this old guy.  I said Sir this is a construction site do you have permission to be here?  He said I hope so this is my land or at least it was.  I asked why he had lost it.  He said he didn't, he had donated it to the Anderson community schools.  Then it all made sense to me.  I said Sir, are you Carl Erskine?  He said yes in the flesh.  To make a long story short, I have his autograph.  And he checked on our progression weekly as far as the siding always giving me hell about my smoking.  You can see the school from I-69 from the south bound lane.  Helluva a guy.  So if you see the school think of me putting siding on and meeting Carl Erskine.  BTW, he did throw 2 no-hitters.  An Indiana legend that doesn't get talked about nearly enough.

• Like 2