Trivia

rico

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Know this one as well....but I remember him more for planting a fastball in Andre Dawson's face and setting off a brawl. 

I did too, but wanted to give Reds fans a whack at it...

And, as unfortunate as his post baseball life was, I still despised him for the Dawson beaning...if I remember right, former Cub Larry Bowa was his manager...

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I did too, but wanted to give Reds fans a whack at it...

And, as unfortunate as his post baseball life was, I still despised him for the Dawson beaning...if I remember right, former Cub Larry Bowa was his manager...

Yep. Bowa did manager thing after the game. This was a pretty good article on whole incident. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-07-08-sp-2460-story.html

• Like 1

Two part question (different answers).

Since 1970, there have been 16 instances where a MLB pitcher lost 20 games in a season.

• After 1980, only one pitcher has achieved that dubious honor.  Name him.
  • One of the pitchers who lost 20 games since 1970 did it in a season where he threw 27 complete games.  Name him.

Edited by 5fouls

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Two part question (different answers).

Since 1970, there have been 16 instances where a MLB pitcher lost 20 games in a season.

• After 1980, only one pitcher has achieved that dubious honor.  Name him.
  • One of the pitchers who lost 20 games since 1970 did it in a season where he threw 27 complete games.  Name him.

The last player to do it I think played for Detroit. 

Phil Niekro won and lost 20 in a season so i will say he threw 27 CG's

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The last player to do it I think played for Detroit. 

Phil Niekro won and lost 20 in a season so i will say he threw 27 CG's

The last player to do it did play for Detroit.  I'll leave the question open for a while to see if someone can come up with the name.

Phil Niekro lost 20 games twice in the 1970's and had 20 or more complete games each time.  But he did NOT complete  27 games in either of those seasons.  He completed 23 & 20 in his two 20 loss years.

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The last player to do it did play for Detroit.  I'll leave the question open for a while to see if someone can come up with the name.

Phil Niekro lost 20 games twice in the 1970's and had 20 or more complete games each time.  But he did NOT complete  27 games in either of those seasons.  He completed 23 & 20 in his two 20 loss years.

That's all I got.  

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does the guy in the 2nd part happen to share the last name with a former power hitting Cubbie?

No.  Brian Kingman lost 20 games in 1980, but only completed 10 of them.

Hint:  The answer to the second question pitched for the same organization as the answer to the first question.

Edited by 5fouls

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No.  Brian Kingman lost 20 games in 1980, but only completed 10 of them.

Hint:  The answer to the second question pitched for the same organization as the answer to the first question.

Second one Wilbur Wood?