Trivia

rico

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The shame about Ryan is, during some of his prime years with the Angels, they had a terrible team that was rarely, if ever, on National TV (which was about all you had for the American League at the time...the NL had WGN and TBS carrying most of the Cubs and Braves games).

Not only affected The Express's win total, but kept the viewing public from seeing a baseball marvel.

The guy was throwing 100+ when only one or two people could get it up there like that...

We all got to see him beat up Robin Ventura though

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The shame about Ryan is, during some of his prime years with the Angels, they had a terrible team that was rarely, if ever, on National TV (which was about all you had for the American League at the time...the NL had WGN and TBS carrying most of the Cubs and Braves games).

Not only affected The Express's win total, but kept the viewing public from seeing a baseball marvel.

The guy was throwing 100+ when only one or two people could get it up there like that...

Meh, Ryan's mistake, win total wise, was signing with the Astros.  Nolan should have just stayed in the AL.  And I would also add that Ryan's BBs didn't help him when it came to losing close games.  Can't remember what year it was but he averaged 5 1/2 walks per start.  Got him in trouble a lot.

Loved him to death.  He was must see TV when I was growing up.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Meh, Ryan's mistake, win total wise, was signing with the Astros.  Nolan should have just stayed in the AL.  And I would also add that Ryan's BBs didn't help him when it came to losing close games.  Can't remember what year it was but he averaged 5 1/2 walks per start.  Got him in trouble a lot.

Loved him to death.  He was must see TV when I was growing up.

I don't know...I looked at 1973, the year he struck out 383 batters and in 14 games, all losses, he received 2 or less runs in support...and he lost 18 games overall that year...

25 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Win total wise? Perhaps.  But it's hard to turn down a cool million a year from your hometown team in 1979, which is 20% higher than anyone else was making at the time.

Nothing wrong with what he did and at the time the Stros were highly competitive.  

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I love reading about the Ryan Express...dude gave a new meaning to throwing heat.

Thing with Ryan wasn't just his heater.  His curve was nasty...borderline unnatural, and his fastball made it that much more effective. 

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ryan and Randy Johnson have got to be on the Mount Rushmore of power pitchers.

Ryan, Randy Johnson, Walter Johnson, Bob Feller

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Thing with Ryan wasn't just his heater.  His curve was nasty...borderline unnatural, and his fastball made it that much more effective. 

Ryan, Randy Johnson, Walter Johnson, Bob Feller

Always have a honorary mention for Steve Dalkowski 

"Earl Weaver, who saw the likes of Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, and Sam McDowell, concurred, saying, “Dalko threw harder than all of ‘em.”

"In 1970, Sports Illustrated’s Pat Jordan (himself a control-challenged former minor league pitcher) told the story of Williams stepping into the cage when Dalkowski was throwing batting practice:

After a few minutes Williams picked up a bat and stepped into the cage. Reporters and players moved quickly closer to see this classic confrontation. Williams took three level, disciplined practice swings, cocked his bat, and motioned with his head for Dalkowski to deliver the ball. Dalkowski went into his spare pump, his right leg rising a few inches off the ground, his left arm pulling back and then flicking out from the side of his body like an attacking cobra. The ball did not rip through the air like most fastballs, but seemed to appear suddenly and silently in the catcher’s glove.

The catcher held the ball for a few seconds a few inches under Williams’ chin. Williams looked back at it, then at Dalkowski, squinting at him from the mound, and then he dropped his bat and stepped out of the cage. The writers immediately asked Williams how fast Steve Dalkowski really was. Williams, whose eyes were said to be so sharp that he could count the stitches on a baseball as it rotated toward the plate, told them he had not seen the pitch, that Steve Dalkowski was the fastest pitcher he ever faced and that he would be damned if he would ever face him again if he could help it."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

I don't think Cy Young was on the same team his whole career, so I'll put him out there...

And I think Grover Cleveland Alexander won over 100 with the Cubs after he'd won well over 100 with the Phillies (funny that his iconic moment in baseball came as a Cardinal in the 1926 World Series striking out the Yankees Tony Lazzari with the bases loaded in the 7th holding a one run lead through the 8th and 9th).

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think Cy Young was on the same team his whole career, so I'll put him out there...

And I think Grover Cleveland Alexander won over 100 with the Cubs after he'd won well over 100 with the Phillies (funny that his iconic moment in baseball came as a Cardinal in the 1926 World Series striking out the Yankees Tony Lazzari with the bases loaded in the 7th holding a one run lead through the 8th and 9th).

Bingo...Alexander is one.  And perhaps the hardest one to get.

4 down 4 to go.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mussina is only 1 I can think of that might be close but not sure he got to a 100 with the Yanks. Outside of him no one comes to mind. Great question 

Another one.  Mussina did get over 100 with the Yanks to go with 100+ with the O's.

5 down...3 to go.