2017 College Football Thread.

rico

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Auburn puttin' it to Alabama to really mess things up.....  26-14

I don't think it messed anything up.  Auburn just took Bama's place.  Apparently, it was Auburn's biggest win since 1969 over Alabama which is pretty special to me as my dad was a "famous" fan at that game. 

To me it would be an absolute shame if Bama were to get in. Regardless of who does what next weekend. Honestly I have a hard time taking any 2 loss team too (Auburn and Ohio St) but if they both win at least they will have conference title next to name. 

Hopefully most can agree if Oklahoma wins and Wisconsin wins they are both in. Pretty safe to say same for Clemson/Miami winner too. After that is when it gets tricky. Auburn and Ohio St will make their case as to why they should get in. Here's a tricky scenario. Let's say Miami beats Clemson in a close game. Clemson would have 2 losses. Same as Auburn. Of course one of Auburn's losses was vs Clemson earlier this year? How much will head to head determine Final 4?

My prediction. Oklahoma, Auburn, Ohio St and Miami all win next weekend. If that happens I think that will be final 4. 

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To me it would be an absolute shame if Bama were to get in. Regardless of who does what next weekend. Honestly I have a hard time taking any 2 loss team too (Auburn and Ohio St) but if they both win at least they will have conference title next to name. 

Hopefully most can agree if Oklahoma wins and Wisconsin wins they are both in. Pretty safe to say same for Clemson/Miami winner too. After that is when it gets tricky. Auburn and Ohio St will make their case as to why they should get in. Here's a tricky scenario. Let's say Miami beats Clemson in a close game. Clemson would have 2 losses. Same as Auburn. Of course one of Auburn's losses was vs Clemson earlier this year? How much will head to head determine Final 4?

My prediction. Oklahoma, Auburn, Ohio St and Miami all win next weekend. If that happens I think that will be final 4. 

Can't argue with any of that.......but one thing I would point out is that tOSU  has a terrible loss.  Auburn's two losses were at Clemson(close one) and at LSU(close one).

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Can't argue with any of that.......but one thing I would point out is that tOSU  has a terrible loss.  Auburn's two losses were at Clemson(close one) and at LSU(close one).

Will be interesting to see how deep the committee digs into losses. Yes Auburn lost a close one at LSU but LSU also lost at home to Troy? Bama's best win was vs Miss St who will probably be unranked by Monday. Bama has all the recognition/history,etc...but name only shouldn't get them in. Bases on what I saw yesterday I would put them around 7th.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Will be interesting to see how deep the committee digs into losses. Yes Auburn lost a close one at LSU but LSU also lost at home to Troy? Bama's best win was vs Miss St who will probably be unranked by Monday. Bama has all the recognition/history,etc...but name only shouldn't get them in. Bases on what I saw yesterday I would put them around 7th.

And to be honest, Miss St should have won that game.  

Yeah Alabama's schedule is so weak I'd really have a hard time putting them in there. Gotta beat someone - if you're going to put 1 loss Alabama in, why not undefeated UCF (whose best win, Memphis, is basically the same as Alabama's!).*

*I don't think either should be in.... but Alabama is riding on reputation alone.

24 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Yeah Alabama's schedule is so weak I'd really have a hard time putting them in there. Gotta beat someone - if you're going to put 1 loss Alabama in, why not undefeated UCF (whose best win, Memphis, is basically the same as Alabama's!).*

*I don't think either should be in.... but Alabama is riding on reputation alone.

Actually UCF has to play Memphis again.  If they win. Their resume would look better than Bama's.  

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Auburn will get in without question if they win next weekend and they should.  They'll have 3 top 5 wins in a four-game stretch with their only losses being one score road games at Clemson and at LSU.  Ohio State will not even have an argument of getting in over Auburn nor would a two-loss Clemson if they loss to Miami. 

Number of losses shouldn't be (and isn't) a more important factor than than quality of wins, quality of losses, SOS and a few other things.

I do agree, Bama should and probably will have a hard time getting in.  I'd take a two-loss OSU over them because OSU will have wins against PSU, MSU and Wisconsin.  Those three wins are all better than anything Bama had and it's fair to say Bama only has less losses because they didn't play a team like Oklahoma non-conference.  

IMO, the winner of the SEC, B1G, ACC and Big 12 should all be in which makes next weekend the start of the playoffs  That's a beautiful thing. 

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Auburn will get in without question if they win next weekend and they should.  They'll have 3 top 5 wins in a four-game stretch with their only losses being one score road games at Clemson and at LSU.  Ohio State will not even have an argument of getting in over Auburn nor would a two-loss Clemson if they loss to Miami. 

Number of losses shouldn't be (and isn't) a more important factor than than quality of wins, quality of losses, SOS and a few other things.

I do agree, Bama should and probably will have a hard time getting in.  I'd take a two-loss OSU over them because OSU will have wins against PSU, MSU and Wisconsin.  Those three wins are all better than anything Bama had and it's fair to say Bama only has less losses because they didn't play a team like Oklahoma non-conference.  

IMO, the winner of the SEC, B1G, ACC and Big 12 should all be in which makes next weekend the start of the playoffs  That's a beautiful thing. 

Agree. I just hope the committee has the juice to look at Bama's schedule and say no way (if everyone wins that should). Looking forward to Saturday as well. Long day. IU starts at 1230 and it's go time from there.....

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I bet he winds up at Purdue. 

Does Purdue have an opening? I know Allen has mentioned the possibility of taking on a DC to relinquish the defensive play calling duties. I certainly wouldn’t mind hiring Sumlin as a DC/AHC. Would be a great defensive coach and recruiter 

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Does Purdue have an opening? I know Allen has mentioned the possibility of taking on a DC to relinquish the defensive play calling duties. I certainly wouldn’t mind hiring Sumlin as a DC/AHC. Would be a great defensive coach and recruiter 

I'm just hoping Brohm gets hired. 

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No. It's not even close to that, if another school wants him and he wants to be there he will go. 

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No. It's not even close to that, if another school wants him and he wants to be there he will go. 

You’re right. It’s about to be only $4M plus the remainder of his previous loan buyout which is less than a million. 

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2017/06/15/bonuses-buyout-details-revealed-jeff-brohms-purdue-contract/400475001/

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You’re right. It’s about to be only $4M plus the remainder of his previous loan buyout which is less than a million. 

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2017/06/15/bonuses-buyout-details-revealed-jeff-brohms-purdue-contract/400475001/

Texas A&M has boosters who would pay off his contract in a single check without hesitating. And he would be an interesting fit for them. But if you are a first year coach do you really bail on the program that put you on a big stage? And, if you are a young coach in your first year and have a chance to double your salary or more, do you really tell your family you are passing up on the opportunity? This is a simple issue, Purdue has to decide if they want to keep him and inhance his contract and long term benefits. After the fit Harbaugh made about their facilities, just how cheap can they afford to be publicly? Can they really afford to let him leave? Lol, I would not want to be the Purdue AD right now. He is damned either way he goes.

Just now, Payday said:

Texas A&M has boosters who would pay off his contract in a single check without hesitating. And he would be an interesting fit for them. But if you are a first year coach do you really bail on the program that put you on a big stage? And, if you are a young coach in your first year and have a chance to double your salary or more, do you really tell your family you are passing up on the opportunity? This is a simple issue, Purdue has to decide if they want to keep him and inhance his contract and long term benefits. After the fit Harbaugh made about their facilities, just how cheap can they afford to be publicly? Can they really afford to let him leave? Lol, I would not want to be the Purdue AD right now. He is damned either way he goes.

Texas A&M is getting Jimbo. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Texas A&M is getting Jimbo. 

Lol, I am sorry, I had not heard that. Let me just say that Jimbo in College station is a disaster made in hell. Lol. He has no idea who he will be dealing with and the character they expect. To put things in perspective.......Sumlin had his own use of a private helicopter provided to him to fly around recruiting. The money they spend is enormous. And they still have to use the same football and same size field and can’t win. Putting jimbo in the mix is a sure fire way to end up on probation.

2 minutes ago, Payday said:

Lol, I am sorry, I had not heard that. Let me just say that Jimbo in College station is a disaster made in hell. Lol. He has no idea who he will be dealing with and the character they expect.

I think it was as much about him being ready to leave Tallahassee as anything. You don't divorce the guy who built the programs daughter then stay there long term. 

I think he will find life at A&M in that division a little harder than at FSU. He goes from the second best coach in his conference to the fourth best in his division. 

13 minutes ago, Payday said:

My question is, if you are a big time program, do you want to spend $$$ on a guy--Brohm who had mediocre success for one season?

I mean, I get it, Purdue is going bowling for the first time in several seasons. But they beat one B1G team with a winning record. Was the improvement Brohm, or was it more of an indictment of how bad his predecessor was? If I was the one with the hiring authority in this case, I'd have a hard time picking a guy with a one year track record against the big boys.

6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

My question is, if you are a big time program, do you want to spend $$$ on a guy--Brohm who had mediocre success for one season?

I mean, I get it, Purdue is going bowling for the first time in several seasons. But they beat one B1G team with a winning record. Was the improvement Brohm, or was it more of an indictment of how bad his predecessor was? If I was the one with the hiring authority in this case, I'd have a hard time picking a guy with a one year track record against the big boys.

It was most definitely this. Danny Hope coached there for 4 seasons. He went 3-1 against IU, and his last two seasons were bowl teams. They fired him because 6 win seasons were boring and most of their fans were still on a high from the Tiller years. Then along comes Hazel, 9 wins in 4 years, multiple last place finishes and 4 straight losses to IU. Not hard to see why Purdue fans are so ecstatic about being middle of the road right now.

Archived