2017 College Football Thread.

rico

I don't want OSU to get into the playoffs because I hate how hypocritical and two-faced their fans are when it comes to these discussions.

2014: "TCU didn't deserve to be in. That's what they get for not having a conference championship!" (Never mind that in the BCS days, OSU probably benefited more than anyone from not having to play a conference championship game)

2016: "We have one loss, PSU has two. Who cares if they won the Big Ten and beat us? We have one loss, they have two!"

2017: "If we win the Big Ten we should get in over Bama. Who cares if they only have one loss and we have two? We'd have won the Big Ten! You have to take conference champions!"

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

My question is, if you are a big time program, do you want to spend $$$ on a guy--Brohm who had mediocre success for one season?

I mean, I get it, Purdue is going bowling for the first time in several seasons. But they beat one B1G team with a winning record. Was the improvement Brohm, or was it more of an indictment of how bad his predecessor was? If I was the one with the hiring authority in this case, I'd have a hard time picking a guy with a one year track record against the big boys.

He was very highly regarded before taking the Purdue job and by any reasonable account overachieved in Year 1. I can absolutely see one of the SEC openings calling him. 

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It was most definitely this. Danny Hope coached there for 4 seasons. He went 3-1 against IU, and his last two seasons were bowl teams. They fired him because 6 win seasons were boring and most of their fans were still on a high from the Tiller years. Then along comes Hazel, 9 wins in 4 years, multiple last place finishes and 4 straight losses to IU. Not hard to see why Purdue fans are so ecstatic about being middle of the road right now.

I think it’s a combination of both. We clearly knew how bad Hazell was. But the job Brohm and his staff did this year with easily the least talented team in the conference outside of Illinois is unbelievable. To say otherwise is laughable. Nick Holt took our defense from averaging 42 PPG last year to half of that total this year. That’s outstanding work. This team had no depth, suffered several crucial injuries, and still overcame all of that to make a bowl game. Sure it’s only 6-6 but with this roster, that’s a win. If this team had talent like the Tiller years, yes 6-6 would be disappointing. But with this group, 6-6 is impressive. 

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

He was very highly regarded before taking the Purdue job and by any reasonable account overachieved in Year 1. I can absolutely see one of the SEC openings calling him. 

I agree that he absolutely overachieved. No one in their right mind would’ve predicted Purdue to a bowl game this year. 

The thing about an SEC job calling him, I don’t think it’s a guarantee he’d leave. Purdue would have to open the pocket book a bit but could make a compelling argument to keep him. Besides, the grass isn’t always greener (Bielema at Arkansas) and the SEC would come with higher demands, more scrutiny/stress, and might not be what Brohm is looking for. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree that he absolutely overachieved. No one in their right mind would’ve predicted Purdue to a bowl game this year. 

The thing about an SEC job calling him, I don’t think it’s a guarantee he’d leave. Purdue would have to open the pocket book a bit but could make a compelling argument to keep him. Besides, the grass isn’t always greener (Bielema at Arkansas) and the SEC would come with higher demands, more scrutiny/stress, and might not be what Brohm is looking for. 

You're correct, Brohm very well may be content to be at school he will never compete for anything more meaningful than the occasional Big Ten championship. Nothing wrong with having a less stressful job and still making good money.  

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes I understand that...and I also know that in the SEC, coaches who had much better resumes and were paid a bunch of money, have gotten fired this season. I think that eventually Brohm can be a candidate for one of these positions, but not after one season of Power 5 coaching. I would imagine that the SEC schools with openings this year are going to be extremely careful in their next hires. All of them could make the arguments that they just got burnt paying out large sums to coaches who, in their eyes, underperformed.  It would be surprising to me for any of them to offer an SEC type contract to a guy who went 6-6 in his first year in a major conference.

16 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Yes I understand that...and I also know that in the SEC, coaches who had much better resumes and were paid a bunch of money, have gotten fired this season. I think that eventually Brohm can be a candidate for one of these positions, but not after one season of Power 5 coaching. I would imagine that the SEC schools with openings this year are going to be extremely careful in their next hires. All of them could make the arguments that they just got burnt paying out large sums to coaches who, in their eyes, underperformed.  It would be surprising to me for any of them to offer an SEC type contract to a guy who went 6-6 in his first year in a major conference.

I disagree........where did Jim Tressel come from?

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I disagree........where did Jim Tressel come from?

Maybe so....but over 10 years, Tressel made in total $21.7 million at OSU. Of that, about $4.5 million was paid by Nike. So, the university paid him, on average, about $1.7 million a year.

Both Butch Jones and Bielema were paid $4.1 million this year by their respective schools. 

McElwain's salary at Florida was $4.45 million

Mullen's salary at Mississippi St. was $4.5 million, and I doubt if he took a haircut to hire on at Florida

Sumlin's salary at Texas A & M was $5 million....

My point being, were talking about significantly larger dollars now than back then. You can argue inflation, or the going rate or whatever. I just don't see one of these programs taking a chance on Brohm after one season. Tressel had been at Youngstown St. for something like 15 years, and won multiple national championships there. 

As I said, give Brohm some time, but not this year.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Maybe so....but over 10 years, Tressel made in total $21.7 million at OSU. Of that, about $4.5 million was paid by Nike. So, the university paid him, on average, about $1.7 million a year.

Both Butch Jones and Bielema were paid $4.1 million this year by their respective schools. 

McElwain's salary at Florida was $4.45 million

Mullen's salary at Mississippi St. was $4.5 million, and I doubt if he took a haircut to hire on at Florida

Sumlin's salary at Texas A & M was $5 million....

My point being, were talking about significantly larger dollars now than back then. You can argue inflation, or the going rate or whatever. I just don't see one of these programs taking a chance on Brohm after one season. Tressel had been at Youngstown St. for something like 15 years, and won multiple national championships there. 

As I said, give Brohm some time, but not this year.

My point being tOSU hired Tressel.  From Youngstown St.  And to be honest, I don't know what Brohm's aspirations are.

54 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I don't think a single SEC coach was fired who improved 4 games over last season? Oh, you meant in the vacuum of just this season to prove a point that isn't there? You don't actually believe any of those guys did a better job than Brohm this year do you?

Nope...meaning they had a better resume when they were hired than Brohm did.

Yes, Purdue improved this year. Yes, Brohm did a good job. 

Again, they beat one team from the conference that had a winning record. 

I am not trying to take away from Brohm's accomplishments this year. 

I am saying that it would be foolhardy for a major power to hire him with such a small sample size. He hasn't even proved that he can recruit at a Power 5 school yet.

Give him a couple of years to show that he can win consistently. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Nope...meaning they had a better resume when they were hired than Brohm did.

Yes, Purdue improved this year. Yes, Brohm did a good job. 

Again, they beat one team from the conference that had a winning record. 

I am not trying to take away from Brohm's accomplishments this year. 

I am saying that it would be foolhardy for a major power to hire him with such a small sample size. He hasn't even proved that he can recruit at a Power 5 school yet.

Give him a couple of years to show that he can win consistently. 

Incomplete list of coaches who hadn't proven they could recruit and win at the Power 5 level before getting current job:

Dabo Swinney (First head coaching gig was at Clemson)

Gus Malzahn (One season at Arkansas State before Auburn)

Kirby Smart (FIrst head coaching gig was at Georgia)

Lincoln Riley (First head coaching gig was at Oklahoma)

You'll notice all four of those guys control their own destiny to win a national title. 

Good for these guys. 

At least Riley and Smart walked into well established programs. 

If you want to defend Brohm, have at it. 

I just wouldn't spend such a large sum on a guy with one year of Power 5 coaching experience. Especially if I had just fired a coach who had been paid as much as the guys I mentioned were paid (which also didn't include any buyout figures).

Each their own. If I am in charge of the purse strings at one of these institutions, I am going to be a bit more conservative than maybe some others. 

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Incomplete list of coaches who hadn't proven they could recruit and win at the Power 5 level before getting current job:

Dabo Swinney (First head coaching gig was at Clemson)

Gus Malzahn (One season at Arkansas State before Auburn)

Kirby Smart (FIrst head coaching gig was at Georgia)

Lincoln Riley (First head coaching gig was at Oklahoma)

You'll notice all four of those guys control their own destiny to win a national title. 

Barry Alvarez took over UW without every being a HC and took them from laughing stock to a big time power program.

11 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Good for these guys. 

At least Riley and Smart walked into well established programs. 

If you want to defend Brohm, have at it. 

I just wouldn't spend such a large sum on a guy with one year of Power 5 coaching experience. Especially if I had just fired a coach who had been paid as much as the guys I mentioned were paid (which also didn't include any buyout figures).

Each their own. If I am in charge of the purse strings at one of these institutions, I am going to be a bit more conservative than maybe some others. 

Who would you get?  I think everyone would agree if you can get a homerun you do, but most (all) of these teams aren't going to get one.  

Charlie Strong was a mistake at Texas. He has built up recruiting ties in Florida and has coached in the spotlight. Florida should be looking hard at him.

Scott Frost seems to be the name du jour this year, but I somewhat liken him to Brohm. However, given that he is an alum, I would think Nebraska would look at him.

Todd Graham was pretty good at Arizona State, but was not a good match with the new AD. He was 6-3 in the PAC 12 South this year, and deserves to be considered.

Maybe Gary Patterson is happy at TCU, but if one of the SEC big boys threw enough $$$ his way, I would think he'd at least listen. A & M is right down the road.

A guy that I see as most similar to Brohm, but with a bit more experience and a bit better resume, is Matt Campbell from Iowa State. 4th in the conference this year, and beat both Oklahoma and TCU. Led Toledo to two MAC conference titles and 3 bowl games in the 4 full years he was there.

20 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Charlie Strong was a mistake at Texas. He has built up recruiting ties in Florida and has coached in the spotlight. Florida should be looking hard at him.

Scott Frost seems to be the name du jour this year, but I somewhat liken him to Brohm. However, given that he is an alum, I would think Nebraska would look at him.

Todd Graham was pretty good at Arizona State, but was not a good match with the new AD. He was 6-3 in the PAC 12 South this year, and deserves to be considered.

Maybe Gary Patterson is happy at TCU, but if one of the SEC big boys threw enough $$$ his way, I would think he'd at least listen. A & M is right down the road.

A guy that I see as most similar to Brohm, but with a bit more experience and a bit better resume, is Matt Campbell from Iowa State. 4th in the conference this year, and beat both Oklahoma and TCU. Led Toledo to two MAC conference titles and 3 bowl games in the 4 full years he was there.

Mullen already took the Florida job.

Looks like Jimbo to Texas A&M is maybe happening.  

Gary Patterson is already making $4.75M.  How much money are you talking?  Of the opening, I'd be surprised if anyone besides the two previously mentioned SEC jobs could give him a raise. 

Campbell is a good coach, but not as good a fit for the SEC as Brohm.  He has no ties to that area.  You don't see many SEC hires where someone doesn't have ties to the south.  

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Gary Patterson is already making $4.75M.  How much money are you talking?  Of the opening, I'd be surprised if anyone besides the two previously mentioned SEC jobs could give him a raise. 

Campbell is a good coach, but not as good a fit for the SEC as Brohm.  He has no ties to that area.  You don't see many SEC hires where someone doesn't have ties to the south.  

Although Saban coached at LSU several years prior to taking the Alabama job, he was not necessarily tied to the south.

Both Urban Meyer and Les Miles won National Championships at SEC schools without any previous coaching experience in the south.

It can be done is my point.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Although Saban coached at LSU several years prior to taking the Alabama job, he was not necessarily tied to the south.

Both Urban Meyer and Les Miles won National Championships at SEC schools without any previous coaching experience in the south.

Those guys were all proven, elite commodities when they were hired.  I already said you'd obviously take that over Brohm, but there aren't many guys like that out there willing to jump ship.  

And Saban coached at LSU two years prior to taking the Alabama gig, hardly several.  You could make the point about him coming from MSU with no ties to the south, but again, he was still a proven commodity.  

On 11/27/2017 at 2:28 PM, KoB2011 said:

On 11/27/2017 at 2:37 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

On 11/27/2017 at 2:40 PM, KoB2011 said:

Those guys were all proven, elite commodities when they were hired.  I already said you'd obviously take that over Brohm, but there aren't many guys like that out there willing to jump ship.  

And Saban coached at LSU two years prior to taking the Alabama gig, hardly several.  You could make the point about him coming from MSU with no ties to the south, but again, he was still a proven commodity.  

Ok, how long before we hear about Les Miles name entering the mix for coaches jobs? And there is no way Patterson would leave TCU to coach, you only have to coach one side of the ball in their conference and he makes over 4. 

57 minutes ago, Payday said:

Ok, how long before we hear about Les Miles name entering the mix for coaches jobs? And there is no way Patterson would leave TCU to coach, you only have to coach one side of the ball in their conference and he makes over 4. 

Les should come up at some point.  And Patterson isn't leaving, you're correct. 

Another guy whose name may come up, especially if Jimbo leaves FSU, is Willie Taggart. Just took the Oregon job but he's Florida born and bred and has excellent contacts there.

Archived