2017 College Football Thread.

rico

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

The thing that bothers me is how two-faced OSU fans are about the whole thing.

2016: They can't take a two-loss conference champion over a one-loss team. Two losses is two losses!

2017: They can't take a one-loss team over a two-loss conference champion. Conference titles matter!

I'm interested to see how the goalposts are moved to accommodate the Buckeyes next year.

42 minutes ago, rico said:

And UCF says hello.

There is no excuse for not expanding to eight teams. The “playoff” experiment has worked but will lose credibility unless you expand it. Rico was joking, but teams like UCF deserve a shot. It would be a body bag game, but the current format is losing credibility each year there is a team like UCF that does not make it through the door.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Payday said:

There is no excuse for not expanding to eight teams. The “playoff” experiment has worked but will lose credibility unless you expand it. Rico was joking, but teams like UCF deserve a shot. It would be a body bag game, but the current format is losing credibility each year there is a team like UCF that does not make it through the door.

I would love to see it expand to 8 teams.  Even though they don't play in a big conference, I hate seeing a team go undefeated and not have a shot at the national championship.  It's the only sport I know of where that could ever happen.  At 8 teams, an undefeated UCF could at least have a shot at it.

A lot of people thought Boise State in 2007 didn't stand a chance against Oklahoma (7.5 point underdogs), but they came away with a victory.  I'd love to see more teams have a chance at the playoff.

My apologies up front, but living here in Georgia I'm going to go on a rant!

First I'm just a mild IU football fan. There was a time when I tried to be an IU fan even watching the coaches show after yet again another loss. That's actually when I stopped trying. It was when the idiot Coach Lee Corso campaigned for Quinn Buckner to quit basketball and focus on football! (dating myself)

Back to my rant, tomorrow I will have to bear with unending better than everybody in football discussion about the SEC! The Georgia fans will be gloating, the Auburn fans will be saying it doesn't matter because they already beat both GA and Bama this year. The Bama fans will still be declaring themselves the hands down best team. I want to puke! 

I HOPE THE SEC GOES 0-8 IN THERE BOWL GAMES!!! my HTD impersonation.

Thanks for letting me vent

41 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My apologies up front, but living here in Georgia I'm going to go on a rant!

First I'm just a mild IU football fan. There was a time when I tried to be an IU fan even watching the coaches show after yet again another loss. That's actually when I stopped trying. It was when the idiot Coach Lee Corso campaigned for Quinn Buckner to quit basketball and focus on football! (dating myself)

Back to my rant, tomorrow I will have to bear with unending better than everybody in football discussion about the SEC! The Georgia fans will be gloating, the Auburn fans will be saying it doesn't matter because they already beat both GA and Bama this year. The Bama fans will still be declaring themselves the hands down best team. I want to puke! 

I HOPE THE SEC GOES 0-8 IN THERE BOWL GAMES!!! my HTD impersonation.

Thanks for letting me vent

You only have to endure it for short while. I have a very close friend whose family was a huge booster at Georgia. Everything in their sports life is Bulldog. If they weren’t such good friends it would be unbearable. However, they seem to always put a good product on the field, the school offers a very good education, so I guess we endure for a while. One of my kids played at LSU and I had to endure their craziness for four years and wonder if a graduate could earn a living outside of the state so you have it made comparatively. Put your ear plugs in and endure.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I will admit.... I am easy to mess with.... just ask my family.  LOL

Just want to add what a great member you have been.  We all (the moderators) appreciate what you bring to the board, each and every day. 

Thanks for the kind words.

13 hours ago, Payday said:

UCF deserved a shot.  People can bitch about their schedule, but they can't help what conference they play in.  And OOC, maybe just maybe, none of the big boys want to play them save Ga Tech(which was cancelled btw).  

It looks like Tenn made a solid hire, albeit one being unproven.   His pedigree looks good though. 

On the playoff, I think most of us would agree that eight is the right number.  No matter what the cutoff is, there will be complaining at the margins.  But, if you have an eight team tourney, you’re bound to get the consensus best five or six teams unless the committee defies all logic.  That’s the key to me.  If teams 7-8 may not be selected correctly, at least we have legitimately the top 5-6.  

In the eight, I’d take the power five conference champs and three at larges.  Make winning your league mean something.   

Watch me be wrong, but this doesn’t seem like a vintage Alabama team.  I mean, they’re trying to make a victory over hapless FSU mean something.  Bama didn’t even win their division let alone their conference.  Conference results should mean something.  

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It looks like Tenn made a solid hire, albeit one being unproven.   His pedigree looks good though. 

On the playoff, I think most of us would agree that eight is the right number.  No matter what the cutoff is, there will be complaining at the margins.  But, if you have an eight team tourney, you’re bound to get the consensus best five or six teams unless the committee defies all logic.  That’s the key to me.  If teams 7-8 may not be selected correctly, at least we have legitimately the top 5-6.  

In the eight, I’d take the power five conference champs and three at larges.  Make winning your league mean something.   

Watch me be wrong, but this doesn’t seem like a vintage Alabama team.  I mean, they’re trying to make a victory over hapless FSU mean something.  Bama didn’t even win their division let alone their conference.  Conference results should mean something.  

It seems very unproven but everyone starts somewhere. They could not afford to make a “reach” offer after they way they bungled things. Leach, or someone like him, would have been a gamble and heads would have rolled if the production was not there. At least they can say he came from a strong background.

I think you are right about the conferences and at large, and yes there will always be complaining. But four is just too restrictive and you have to let a team like UCF have their shot. If they lay an egg, fine, but they deserve a chance.

As for Alabama, I will say that I think they have been under producing the last four years when you consider the players they get. I am not sure their style of offense is not too plain and predicatable and a top team can neutralize it with lesser athletes. They just have not had the same feel the last several years but they are also continually picked over for their coaching talent.

People forget that Clemson got destroyed the first time they played Alabama, I think it was four or five years ago. But Clemson built their team the way I think Indiana should, they knew they could not compete head to head against the likes of Alabama recruiting so they went after the under muscle big frames with speed and quickness. Guys top tier teams pass on because they aren’t five star because they don’t have the muscle. The first time they played Alabama they were thrown around. I told my son that it might be the quickest college team I had ever seen. A year later they had more muscle and they were ready. The long winded point is that if a good coach takes the right approach, does not try to over reach, develops players, you can compete with Alabama and maybe it is not so much Alabama has fallen off as much as other programs have figured out how to play them. I have said over and over that the recruiting “star” noise is for the fans only. If a program knows what it is doing the star rank means nothing after the sophomore year.

I agree 100% with your frame argument about recruiting.   We’ve seen it work with a guy like Jason Springs.  He was around 6’6 250 his senior year of high school but was a tight end and athletic.  Coach Wilson saw a left tackle.  He started there as a true freshman at probably 275-280 lb but with good feet.   I remember predicting he’d be a first round pick after I saw him on the field as a true freshman. I wasn’t too far off as he ended up a second rounder with the Packers.  

I think you’re spot on.  

On 12/8/2017 at 8:28 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree 100% with your frame argument about recruiting.   We’ve seen it work with a guy like Jason Springs.  He was around 6’6 250 his senior year of high school but was a tight end and athletic.  Coach Wilson saw a left tackle.  He started there as a true freshman at probably 275-280 lb but with good feet.   I remember predicting he’d be a first round pick after I saw him on the field as a true freshman. I wasn’t too far off as he ended up a second rounder with the Packers.  

I think you’re spot on.  

Bob,

I think that in the last 15 years, as money has poured in and programs have rushed to win and put a different product on the field, we have seen a huge void open concerning the development of players and actual teaching of proper technique. Now, the technique is a failure from peewee and up, it has to be addressed or we are watching the golden age of Football. That, in my opinion, is a very serious threat to the sport because so many programs, including pro, have spent heavily and have debts to justify and need fans. The other void, the development of players, has emerged in part due to a rush to win and take already developed players. The problem is that coaching falls off because basically coaches are just hoarding athletes and using already developed, or close, guys to play a football version of the fast break. If a program went back to the basics it they could beat everyone. Put muscles on big frames and teach them your system is the way to build a program. It has the added benefit that because you are developing players you are likely to suffer fewer early defections to the nfl. 

I realize this is all just talk, nobody is going to listen and we are just talking, but you write it down. In the next few years you will see a program go back to the basics, quit worrying about the star ranking of a player and start developing physically and as a team, and the program will emerge and everyone will wonder how. Clemson did it, it will happen again. It would be nice if it were Indiana, it is damn sure well positioned, but it takes an AD with a long term vision and the ability to hire and replace coaches who will buy in and follow the program. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well Purdoo beats Arizona 38-35 last night to finish their turnaround season on a positive note, and with a new coach.

Kinda surprised StlBoiler hasn't been here to do some "chest thumping".........

Lol, it's in another thread. He was on this board at 2:30 in the morning getting hot and bothered by my opinion like always.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes sir and yes sir!

I'm not usually one of these conference pride guys. With that said (even as a big Canes fan) the Big 10 is really looking good and depending on how things shake out next year you could have as many as 5 teams (Ohio St, Michigan, Sparty, Penn St, and Wisconsin) in top 10. That's pretty darn impressive. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not usually one of these conference pride guys. With that said (even as a big Canes fan) the Big 10 is really looking good and depending on how things shake out next year you could have as many as 5 teams (Ohio St, Michigan, Sparty, Penn St, and Wisconsin) in top 10. That's pretty darn impressive. 

I just want the B1G to do really well.  If anything to shut up SEC mouths.

Meanwhile, the only undefeated team in college football has no chance to play for the championship.

Can't wait until college football is over.

This game ranks behind Butler-Nova, Bengals-Ravens and Rangers-Sabres as far as entertainment value this weekend 

36 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Meanwhile, the only undefeated team in college football has no chance to play for the championship.

Can't wait until college football is over.

This game ranks behind Butler-Nova, Bengals-Ravens and Rangers-Sabres as far as entertainment value this weekend 

That's too bad.  You're missing a hell of a game.

Archived