2017 College Football Thread.

rico

I figured I would start this to talk about everything that is going on in College Football.

My biggest takes so far are:

1-Georgia looks to be the real deal.

2-LSU and Tennessee's coaches are on very hot seats.

3-The B1G East is going to be a very interesting race.

4-NC State is surprising.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that bears watching in the coming months is the jockeying for big jobs next year.  There could be quite a bit of movement this offseason.  Butch Jones at Tennessee hasn’t worked out.  Ed Orgeron was never a good hire at LSU.  Brian Kelly at ND is not my cup of tea.  Who knows if he lasts another year there, on personality dysfunction alone.  There’s some buzz here in Chicago about Jimmy Harbaugh coming to coach the Bears, the franchise that drafted him.  There are some people locally who also think the Harbaugh the Bears are really after is former IU assistant John Harbaugh.  The thinking there is John is not 100% happy in Baltimore.  

You have to figure that Chip Kelly will be at the top of lists, particularly Tennessee and LSU.  If ND makes a move, they ought to hand over a boatload to Jon Gruden.  I think he’d be phenomenal at ND and a great mutual fit.  PJ Fleck from Minnesota and Brohm from Purdue will receive interest as well.  It’s a matter of time for those two.  

57 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One thing that bears watching in the coming months is the jockeying for big jobs next year.  There could be quite a bit of movement this offseason.  Butch Jones at Tennessee hasn’t worked out.  Ed Orgeron was never a good hire at LSU.  Brian Kelly at ND is not my cup of tea.  Who knows if he lasts another year there, on personality dysfunction alone.  There’s some buzz here in Chicago about Jimmy Harbaugh coming to coach the Bears, the franchise that drafted him.  There are some people locally who also think the Harbaugh the Bears are really after is former IU assistant John Harbaugh.  The thinking there is John is not 100% happy in Baltimore.  

You have to figure that Chip Kelly will be at the top of lists, particularly Tennessee and LSU.  If ND makes a move, they ought to hand over a boatload to Jon Gruden.  I think he’d be phenomenal at ND and a great mutual fit.  PJ Fleck from Minnesota and Brohm from Purdue will receive interest as well.  It’s a matter of time for those two.  

A lot of Colts fans would like to see Harbaugh coaching the Colts his second team he played for.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Harbaugh in Indy reuniting with Luck would be a great story.  I’m going to guess he’s going to give Michigan at least five years though, unless he just really prefers the pros. 

The last couple of off seasons it seems like Irsay have been trying to lure the big name to the Colts like Harbaugh, Saban and Gruden. If Ballard their new GM has a say it might be the special teams coordinator of the Chiefs

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of Colts fans would like to see Harbaugh coaching the Colts his second team he played for.

Harbaugh is shrewd, if he thinks the shine is dimming on his talent while at Michigan, I do not think he will hesitate to move on. He does not have a record of longevity in one place and his fire brand of coaching tends to wear thin at a place filled with tradition, unless he is winning it all. College sports have put guys like Harbaugh in a precarious position. If they want to win it all they have to compete against less ethical coaches with “win at all cost” mentality or they can move to the pros where the tables are balanced with known factors. With the NCAA refusing to give death penalties to places like Penn State, Miami, NC basketball, Baylor, and now Louisville, I’m not sure they haven’t lost their oversight ability and teams take their penalty and go on. That makes it very tough on any coach who is concerned with reputation. I think Harbaugh moves sooner than later. 

4 hours ago, Payday said:

Harbaugh is shrewd, if he thinks the shine is dimming on his talent while at Michigan, I do not think he will hesitate to move on. He does not have a record of longevity in one place and his fire brand of coaching tends to wear thin at a place filled with tradition, unless he is winning it all. College sports have put guys like Harbaugh in a precarious position. If they want to win it all they have to compete against less ethical coaches with “win at all cost” mentality or they can move to the pros where the tables are balanced with known factors. With the NCAA refusing to give death penalties to places like Penn State, Miami, NC basketball, Baylor, and now Louisville, I’m not sure they haven’t lost their oversight ability and teams take their penalty and go on. That makes it very tough on any coach who is concerned with reputation. I think Harbaugh moves sooner than later. 

Harbaugh in college is palatable because the audience changes every 3-4 years. The criticism of him in San Francisco was that the players had tuned him out after hearing the same schtick over and over again. That's the concern that I would have in bringing him in to coach the Colts. His deal might last a few years, but I can't see him as a long term solution for any NFL team 

4 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Harbaugh in college is palatable because the audience changes every 3-4 years. The criticism of him in San Francisco was that the players had tuned him out after hearing the same schtick over and over again. That's the concern that I would have in bringing him in to coach the Colts. His deal might last a few years, but I can't see him as a long term solution for any NFL team 

Good analysis. His issue will be self made if he allows his combative personality to get on the wrong side of school admin. But you are dead on, in my opinion. One thing that’s bothered me about his San Fran run was that he basically won with a defense that Mike Singletary put on the field. I guess I wanted to see if he could pull it together himself.

Biggest takeaways from yesterday. Unbelievable upset for Iowa St in Norman.  Canes ending at Florida St. Sparty holding on vs Michivan.....I would think Oklahoma loss  hurts Ohio St numbers as well even if they run the table. Bama/Clemson/Georgia appear to be top 3 with multiple teams (TCU, Miami, Penn St) a chance to make a surprise run.

One other thing of note. Virginia beat a quality Duke team. Makes our win there very solid now. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Should find out everything about ND over next 4. Home with USC, NC State, Wake followed by at Miami. Obviously their close loss to Georgia and 20 point win at Sparty look pretty good!

I agree.......but the schedule and opponents are there for the Irish to have a say.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Irish being #3 in the top 4 power rankings!

Would appear Kelley has turned things around?

I don't know.  But he was on the hot seat.  Maybe he took a new approach?  I dunno.  But the Irish control their own destiny.  They win out and they are in.  

I just read an article on Notre Dame.  I was trying to post it but I couldn't.  Anyway it was about a worst case scenario for the Power 5 conferences if the Irish win out.  If they do win out they would played the toughest schedule in the country.  Add to it their lone loss was by 1 point to UGA.  That aside.  It very well could be that no team emerges from the PAC-12 or BIG-12 with fewer than two losses.  Wisconsin is in a strange situation, yes they are undefeated but their SoS sucks.  They have to go undefeated......period to make it.  

Archived