2017 College Football Thread.

rico

First college football game was in the Orange Bowl in 1983. Needless to say I've always been a strong Canes supporter. Been looking forward to this one all year. Nobody listened when the schedules came out I said don't be shocked if Miami was there in the end. 

With that said. The Canes are a very young and good team. They'll be back when competing for titles every year and no...not the Coastal division. Should be a fun one though. Key to game to me is pretty simple. ND's Oline vs Miami's front 7. If ND can run the ball. Could be a long night for Miami. If Canes can get up early and cause ND to have to pass to win this one...could be a long and painful night for ND QB. Speed rushers on end will be teeing off if they know ND has to pass.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised that Canes beat ND. Just surprised how they dominated a good team. ND looked 2-3 gears slower than Miami. Huge win for Auburn too. Made Georgia look average. Maybe the SEC hype machine was hyping the wrong teams all year? Started the year with Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia but maybe they forgot about Auburn?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not surprised that Canes beat ND. Just surprised how they dominated a good team. ND looked 2-3 gears slower than Miami. Huge win for Auburn too. Made Georgia look average. Maybe the SEC hype machine was hyping the wrong teams all year? Started the year with Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia but maybe they forgot about Auburn?

And ND fans want to run Kelley out of South Bend!! He is a mediocre coach at best. Can't get his team ready to play in big games. I mean ND did beat the 'Canes last year. Is there that big of a turnaround in 1 year?

I find it funny how fan bases mirror one another. For example if Kelley goes 10-2, 11-3, fans are not happy. Most schools, like IU, would be ecstatic with those records. I remember many IU BBall fans were saying how TC was a mediocre coach, just wins enough to keep his job, until last year of coarse.

10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

And ND fans want to run Kelley out of South Bend!! He is a mediocre coach at best. Can't get his team ready to play in big games. I mean ND did beat the 'Canes last year. Is there that big of a turnaround in 1 year?

I find it funny how fan bases mirror one another. For example if Kelley goes 10-2, 11-3, fans are not happy. Most schools, like IU, would be ecstatic with those records. I remember many IU BBall fans were saying how TC was a mediocre coach, just wins enough to keep his job, until last year of coarse.

In a strange bit of irony ND fans can be like Georgia fans were/are. Georgia fans dumped Richt because they couldn't get over the hump. Georgia gets hammered last night. Maybe it wasn't just Richt?

ND fans should be careful. I'm no fan of them or their coach but 10 wins per year isn't always a bad thing. Look at Tennessee since firing Fulmer? LSU with Miles....list goes on and on.

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In a strange bit of irony ND fans can be like Georgia fans were/are. Georgia fans dumped Richt because they couldn't get over the hump. Georgia gets hammered last night. Maybe it wasn't just Richt?

ND fans should be careful. I'm no fan of them or their coach but 10 wins per year isn't always a bad thing. Look at Tennessee since firing Fulmer? LSU with Miles....list goes on and on.

I will have a tough time liking ND until they have numerous years where they don’t appear to be cherry picking their schedule. For years as an independent they have cherry picked and manipulated the rankings. When the national championship was voted on they were almost criminal at manipulating things. Being independent hurts them a little now that the playoff process is in place, but it still allows them to pick their schedule and become highly ranked and then get killed when they run into a team like Miami or one the half dozen big ten teams that would roll them. 

18 minutes ago, Payday said:

I will have a tough time liking ND until they have numerous years where they don’t appear to be cherry picking their schedule. For years as an independent they have cherry picked and manipulated the rankings. When the national championship was voted on they were almost criminal at manipulating things. Being independent hurts them a little now that the playoff process is in place, but it still allows them to pick their schedule and become highly ranked and then get killed when they run into a team like Miami or one the half dozen big ten teams that would roll them. 

Agree all day. And I won't be surprised if Stanford beats them on 11/25

Every few years ND does enough so that their fan base thinks they are relevant. And, they become obnoxiously in your face about it. Then, they play someone with athletes and they get exposed. So glad to see them get throttled 

7 hours ago, Payday said:

I just wanted to say a couple of things (all good),  and I hope you don’t mind.  

1.  I heard about what you did in your professional career.   I am very impressed and I give you the utmost respect.  Having guts in life is one of the most impressive traits, and you have it, sir.  I’m happy for you as to how it turned out.  I am being cryptic and I will delete this if you’d rather not this be said, although it’s all public.  

2.  I am sure you’re a proud papa and you have every right and reason to be.  

3.  I hope you stick around these parts after this year.  You’re a very good poster.  Best wishes.  

20 hours ago, Payday said:

I am gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  Notre Dame is a school based on tradition.  When they hooked their wagon to the ACC, a lot of the tradition went out the window.  

14 minutes ago, rico said:

3 big time openings.  Tennessee, Florida, and UCLA.  

I have never seen a coach fired so quick as after the embarrassing punt return by USC! Lol. He will always be know as the guy that was fired over a punt even if there were other reasons. Did you see that return? It is special. Whoever the USC special teams coach is needs a raise because they hey scouted UCLA very well, recognized their tendencies, and then trained his team exceptionally well.

2 minutes ago, Payday said:

I have never seen a coach fired so quick as after the embarrassing punt return by USC! Lol. He will always be know as the guy that was fired over a punt even if there were other reasons. Did you see that return? It is special. Whoever the USC special teams coach is needs a raise because they hey scouted UCLA very well, recognized their tendencies, and then trained his team exceptionally well.

Different tangent.  But to me UCLA is a very interesting job.  The recruiting base is there.  It is in a nice sunny place with plenty of things to do.  Why can't they win on a regular basis?  

57 minutes ago, rico said:

Different tangent.  But to me UCLA is a very interesting job.  The recruiting base is there.  It is in a nice sunny place with plenty of things to do.  Why can't they win on a regular basis?  

It will be a very good job for someone.

1 hour ago, rico said:

And it appears Texas A&M will become open.

That is the job from hell. They compete for players against UT, OU, Houston, and on. They play in the SEC where Bama rules and LSU takes players. If I were a young coach I would take the UCLA job and going enjoy the weather and recruiting advantage. But the Texas A&M job, as attractive as the big school and wealth of the program is, that would be a tough job to succeed in. And I am with you, I am stunned they released Mora that quick. The guy knows how to coach, I wonder of maybe he was just burned out at this point.

16 hours ago, Payday said:

That is the job from hell. They compete for players against UT, OU, Houston, and on. They play in the SEC where Bama rules and LSU takes players. If I were a young coach I would take the UCLA job and going enjoy the weather and recruiting advantage. But the Texas A&M job, as attractive as the big school and wealth of the program is, that would be a tough job to succeed in. And I am with you, I am stunned they released Mora that quick. The guy knows how to coach, I wonder of maybe he was just burned out at this point.

To be honest I think A&M would have been much better off staying in the Big 12 instead of joining the SEC.  

As far as Mora, I am still scratching my head.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

To be honest I think A&M would have been much better off staying in the Big 12 instead of joining the SEC.  

As far as Mora, I am still scratching my head.

You are 1000% correct. Their blindness created by their envy of Texas caused them to move. They exchanged recruiting against Texas in the big 12 with recruiting against LSU, Bama, and still losing players to Texas. They don’t play defense in the big 12 so at least if you put a decent defense on the field you are a top dog. The move made no sense to me. If I were a good defense coach I would pay someone in the big 12 to make me a head coach..

3 minutes ago, Payday said:

You are 1000% correct. Their blindness created by their envy of Texas caused them to move. They exchanged recruiting against Texas in the big 12 with recruiting against LSU, Bama, and still losing players to Texas. They don’t play defense in the big 12 so at least if you put a decent defense on the field you are a top dog. The move made no sense to me. If I were a good defense coach I would pay someone in the big 12 to make me a head coach..

I wonder if the move had anything to do with TV money?

Archived