Your Other Starting 5

WH671

Pick 5 plus 2 of any IU players post 1970.

My picks:

George McGinnis - 6'8" power forward - was the first sophomore to lead the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding,

Bobby Wilkerson - 6'6" guard/forward - "Spider Man" Bob Knight declared “Bobby Wilkerson was the most valuable player I ever coached. He could guard anyone.”

Isiah Thomas - 6'1" point guard - cat quick and a tremendous leader, Knight made Thomas captain and told him to run the show on the floor. 

Alan Henderson - 6'9" forward/center - Led the team in rebounding all four years. Currently, he is the only Indiana University player to rank in the school's top five in scoring, rebounding, blocked shots and steals,  

Calbert Cheaney - 6'7" shooting guard/small forward - With 2,613 career points, he is the all-time leading scorer of both Indiana and the Big Ten.

Mike Woodson - 6'5" guard/forward - According to Woodson, playing in Indiana meant "you had to be able to pass, and shoot, and dribble, and play without the basketball, you know, the motion offense. 

Keith Smart - 6'1" guard - another cat quick guy - he made the "Smart Shot"

Your turn.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw McGinnis play, so while he is an obvious choice, I'm going to leave him off.  

PF - Henderson

SF - Cheaney

C - Haston (could spread floor)

2G - Oladipo

PG - I. Thomas

Bench - Damon Bailey

Bench - Landon Turner

I left off Smart, who is one of my all time favorites, but Oladipo an Bailey are more versatile.  

I chose Turner based on what I think he would have been if not for the accident.  

I needed Haston over Zeller or Benson because of his ability to shoot the 3, which is not a strength of my backcourt

37 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

no matter how much most of this board seems to hate him, i don't see how Alford could be left off pretty much any IU bball list.  

Ya, he is like our version of JJ Redik.  Outstanding player, top notch shooter....great hair; still waiting to see if JJ turns into an uber-douche, but coming from Duke I'd say its a good possibility.

39 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

no matter how much most of this board seems to hate him, i don't see how Alford could be left off pretty much any IU bball list.  

Alford was a one dimensional player.  Great shooter and scorer.  Talking all-time starting teams there would be a lot of guys that I would put over him at the 2G.  Vic and Damon being the obvious ones in my head.  Woody could play that position as well.  And then there is Wittman.  Those 4 brought more to the table than Stevie did.

I have been an avid IU fan since the days of Lou Watson. I have personally seen 4 of the 5 National Championship teams "all but 1 play" in Assembly Hall. There are so many EXCELLENT players that will not be included in a pick 7.

I did not pick Alford because of hate but because his defense is less than what others bring to the floor. His time at IU was something to behold. "Socks, shorts, 1-2-3, Swish" For those that might not know what that last is about. His routine at the free throw stripe.

11 hours ago, WH671 said:

Pick 5 plus 2 of any IU players post 1970.

My picks:

George McGinnis - 6'8" power forward - was the first sophomore to lead the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding,

Bobby Wilkerson - 6'6" guard/forward - "Spider Man" Bob Knight declared “Bobby Wilkerson was the most valuable player I ever coached. He could guard anyone.”

Isiah Thomas - 6'1" point guard - cat quick and a tremendous leader, Knight made Thomas captain and told him to run the show on the floor. 

Alan Henderson - 6'9" forward/center - Led the team in rebounding all four years. Currently, he is the only Indiana University player to rank in the school's top five in scoring, rebounding, blocked shots and steals,  

Calbert Cheaney - 6'7" shooting guard/small forward - With 2,613 career points, he is the all-time leading scorer of both Indiana and the Big Ten.

Mike Woodson - 6'5" guard/forward - According to Woodson, playing in Indiana meant "you had to be able to pass, and shoot, and dribble, and play without the basketball, you know, the motion offense. 

Keith Smart - 6'1" guard - another cat quick guy - he made the "Smart Shot"

Your turn.

McGinnis

Cheaney

IT

Alford

May

Benson

Buckner

i like talking about all-time teams, etc.  of course with college players it depends on if you're talking about what they did in college or after.  for instance - what Alford did in college is heads and shoulders above Vic.  clearly Vic's NBA career makes it easy to say he'd be over Alford.  then of course the age old question of trying to compare players of different eras.  1987 was much different than 2018.  still say it's hard to imagine not putting Alford on a top 5-7 team.  BTW - i never missed a game back then and you can't tell me The General let Alford get away with not playing D.  he wasn't physically gifted, but he played hard, tough, smart D.  

Completely agree with all the statements made in defense of Alford. Yes, leaving Alford alone almost always cost the other team. You would be hard pressed to find someone who yelled louder than I did in support of Alford. My list is simply different.

I did not make myself clear in the beginning, I am only talking about college.

Comparing different eras, styles, coaching, etc. is incredibly subjective. I do not disagree with any other list. We have had many players to be proud of.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Vic won some National Player of the Year awards.  Hard tp leave him off the Top 7.  

I am voting for players who won big for IU and to me Vic did not win enough.  Also he only had one great year where the others I picked had more than one great year except fr McGinnis but he had such a great season to leave him off the list.

5 hours ago, WH671 said:

I did not pick Alford because of hate but because his defense is less than what others bring to the floor. His time at IU was something to behold. "Socks, shorts, 1-2-3, Swish" For those that might not know what that last is about. His routine at the free throw stripe.

I feel much the same...I loved Steve as a player.  I do think he's been a disappointment as a coach though.  Looking back, I can say objectively that he was a tremendous shooter and a real weapon when the 3-point line was introduced.  Steve was great at using screens to rub off defenders and when he was open, he was deadly.  Defensively, he tried but was too physically limited to be a great defender, so no way can I put him even in my top 7.  I'd have to go with:

Cheaney

Isaiah

Oladipo

McGinnis

Gordon

Bailey

Henderson

OK.  If the range included pre-1970 than Walt Bellamy and Jimmy Rayl among others would get a great deal of consideration.

However, since it is for 1970 forward:

C-Kent Benson

PF-Alan Henderson

SF-Calbert Cheaney

SG-Victor Olidipo

PG-Isiah Thomas

I left McGinnis off because he hardly spent any time with IU.  There are several others, such as Gordon, Guyton, Jeffries, Buckner and Wilkerson, who could also possibly make this list.  Hell, you could just take the 1975 and 1976 teams and put them down and you would do OK.  Anyway, the above is my best guess.

Like was stated earlier in the thread. I have been fortunate to see the players in the time frame I stated. The fact that others have not brings different and interesting opinions to the board. 75/76  was my sophomore year at IU I freely admit it is my measuring stick. 

4 hours ago, IUguy said:

OK.  If the range included pre-1970 than Walt Bellamy and Jimmy Rayl among others would get a great deal of consideration.

C-Kent Benson

PF-Alan Henderson

SF-Calbert Cheaney

SG-Victor Olidipo

PG-Isiah Thomas

I left McGinnis off because he hardly spent any time with IU.  There are several others, such as Gordon, Guyton, Jeffries, Buckner and Wilkerson, who could also possibly make this list.  Hell, you could jusAt take the 1975 and 1976 teams and put them down and you would do OK.  Anyway, the above is my best guess.

One  thing stands out to me -- a Vic / IT back court would literally kill the other teams. I LOVE that back court. Just imagine the in-your-face aggressive attacking and D. 

1 hour ago, WH671 said:

Like was stated earlier in the thread. I have been fortunate to see the players in the time frame I stated. The fact that others have not brings different and interesting opinions to the board. 75/76  was my sophomore year at IU I freely admit it is my measuring stick. 

I was a kid in '76 but also saw the '76, '81 and '87 championship teams. I was a junior at IU in '87. Doesn't get any better than being in college at IU when we win the NC. What an amazing group of players. It is simply impossible to compare teams and players separated by decades, too much change in the game, change in athleticism and weight training, change in the rules, etc. But it's still fun to pick our best, completely and unapologetically subjective. 

19 hours ago, IUguy said:

C-Kent Benson

PF-Alan Henderson

SF-Calbert Cheaney

SG-Victor Olidipo

PG-Isiah Thomas

I left McGinnis off because he hardly spent any time with IU.  There are several others, such as Gordon, Guyton, Jeffries, Buckner and Wilkerson, who could also possibly make this list.  Hell, you could just take the 1975 and 1976 teams and put them down and you would do OK.  Anyway, the above is my best guess.

I love what Victor did at IU but I just don't see how anyone would put him in the top 7 players to play at IU from 1970.  He was good his first two years and great his junior year but his teams never won much

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I love what Victor did at IU but I just don't see how anyone would put him in the top 7 players to play at IU from 1970.  He was good his first two years and great his junior year but his teams never won much

It's all about how you're evaluating it. You seem to take career accomplishment into consideration in a large way which is fine, others are looking more at it from a talent/how good was this guy perspective. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

It's all about how you're evaluating it. You seem to take career accomplishment into consideration in a large way which is fine, others are looking more at it from a talent/how good was this guy perspective. 

I take it as who played the best for IU during their college years and don't look to what they did once they went to the NBA.

Archived