2018-19 Player Preview: Rob Phinisee

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I expect him to get more minutes than people think.  In fact, I can see a scenario later in the year whete both Phinisee and Durham are getting more minutes thsn Green.

That wouldn't surprise me.  Green will get first crack though.  But if the dumb play continues he'll ride pine.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Durham is a better and more reliable player than Green right now, and given time Phinisee will be too.  We have a better chance at succeeding if those two step up and seize the opportunity.

I reluctantly agree. We'll see what happens. One thing Archie won't stand for is dumb play at point, and that's not a knock on Green. 

58 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I reluctantly agree. We'll see what happens. One thing Archie won't stand for is dumb play at point, and that's not a knock on Green. 

I think sometimes we mistake 'explosiveness' for good play.  Green can certainly be more explosive than the other two, but I think Durham and Phinisee will be better contributers to team success.  Look no farther than Hanner Perea to see what explosiveness without discipline gets you.

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think sometimes we mistake 'explosiveness' for good play.  Green can certainly be more explosive than the other two, but I think Durham and Phinisee will be better contributers to team success.  Look no farther than Hanner Perea to see what explosiveness without discipline gets you.

Based on what we’ve seen thus far, Durham isn’t even close to Green as a shooter and scorer, and Green has far better court vision.  Green is probably the better defender of the two as well.  And I’m also going to assume that Green is currently a much better all around player than a freshman Phinisee, who’s never played at the college level.  You can knock the inconsistency and bonehead turnovers, but “explosiveness” isn’t the only thing Green has over those two.  There’s a reason Green was asked to do much more than Durham was last year.

Archived