Unofficial Big Ten Preseason Media Poll

Just saw this.  Some guys at The Athletic (this is a free article) complied votes from 28 B1G beat writers to make this poll.  All the votes can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS-Jc8yJkJFbKzcnmGKcOWDBV5LQwdyGII5GDVThJP43IYpeeFY_B8aXoX_uRWlajplnUkj1Ui64IW0/pubhtml

Poll Results:

1. Michigan State (386)
2. Michigan (360)
3. Indiana (305)
4. Nebraska (293)
5. Purdue (269)
6. Wisconsin (263)
7. Maryland (240)
8. Ohio State (177)
9. Minnesota (168)
10. Iowa (154)
11. Penn State (134)
12. Northwestern (95)
13. Illinois (65)
14. Rutgers (31)

First Team All Big Ten:

Carsen Edwards, Purdue (28)
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin (28)
James Palmer Jr., Nebraska (23)
Cassius Winston, Michigan State (16)
Juwan Morgan, Indiana (12)

Player of the Year Voting:

Carsen Edwards, Purdue (23)
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin (4)
Charles Matthews, Michigan (1)

Freshman of the Year Voting:

Romeo Langford, Indiana (28)

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Agreed it's just speculation.  But I highly doubt many on this board if any would trade Romeo for Carson Edwards if they were being completely honest.

I'll withhold judgment until I see Romeo on the court for a few games this year in meaningful college games, but Carson is already a proven star who can take over games. I like Romeo a ton even before watching him play in college because he helps us as a program so much, but just on court production between the two id say there's valid arguments either way on who's better this year. Both will likely have huge years.

14 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Romeo not on the 1st team lol

Not a good bet to pick a freshman to make  the first team, even one as highly touted as Romeo.  In the past decade, the only freshmen to make the first team have been Jared Sullinger, D’Angelo Russell, and Melo Trimble (and Trimble only made the media team, not the coaches’ team).

7 hours ago, Inequality said:

Carson isn’t on the same level as Romeo. Ask any NBA scout. 

It has nothing to do with NBA stock but who right now is the better college player.  I will take Romeo but Carsen right now is the better college player until we see Romeo consistently put up numbers in the college game.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not a good bet to pick a freshman to make  the first team, even one as highly touted as Romeo.  In the past decade, the only freshmen to make the first team have been Jared Sullinger, D’Angelo Russell, and Melo Trimble (and Trimble only made the media team, not the coaches’ team).

How many top 10 recruits didn't make 1st team B1G as a frosh?

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was going to ask about Eric Gordon, but he was probably just outside of the past decade.

28 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I was going to ask about Eric Gordon, but he was probably just outside of the past decade.

EJ was on the coaches and media all-conference first team.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

How many top 10 recruits didn't make 1st team B1G as a frosh?

2017: Jaren Jackson (#8)

2016: Miles Bridges (#12)

2015: Diamond Stone (#6)

2013: Noah Vonleh (#11)

2012: Sam Dekker (#12)

2011: Cody Zeller (#10)

2008: BJ Mullens (#2)

15 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I'll withhold judgment until I see Romeo on the court for a few games this year in meaningful college games, but Carson is already a proven star who can take over games. I like Romeo a ton even before watching him play in college because he helps us as a program so much, but just on court production between the two id say there's valid arguments either way on who's better this year. Both will likely have huge years.

Not saying you're wrong about Carson, but I'm in the wait and see category. He had big time help (pun intended) that's missing now. Let's see how he handles it on this PU team, it's a different animal.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

EJ was on the coaches and media all-conference first team.

2017: Jaren Jackson (#8)

2016: Miles Bridges (#12)

2015: Diamond Stone (#6)

2013: Noah Vonleh (#11)

2012: Sam Dekker (#12)

2011: Cody Zeller (#10)

2008: BJ Mullens (#2)

IMO the only 2 freshman the B1G has had in recent memory who were nearly as good as Romeo were Oden and EJ.  Oden nearly brought OSU a title in his one season and EJ was by far the best player in the league before his wrist injury and Sampsongate.  We'll see what happens.

Archived