Romeo lays down the guantlet to Juwan, after Thursday's practice.

Iron sharpens iron. Another very encouraging  comment by Langford underscoring his reported competitive desire.Same with his prior commentt about playing to a win champioship.Thanks for the share!

I agree with those who also feel Juwan is the "right" kid to handle a challenge in a way that brings growth and positive results for all..I feel the same confidence in Juwan's guidance and attitude  even in a potential position of ceding  on court primacy to yr. 1 Romeo.

Oh........

Romeo- Grant Hill .Got that comparison supported with points thrown at me today in a thorough manner making me believe it came from some recruiting article. .You might have heard/read that out there but it's new to me?

Been taking in a bit of info from all of the various public sources.Tried to lurk a few threads here to see if I could dig that up, but my mobile is awful from the park.Anyone else read/heard Romeo - Grant Hill compaisons?

14 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Iron sharpens iron. Another very encouraging  comment by Langford underscoring his reported competitive desire.Same with his prior commentt about playing to a win champioship.Thanks for the share!

I agree with those who also feel Juwan is the "right" kid to handle a challenge in a way that brings growth and positive results for all..I feel the same confidence in Juwan's guidance and attitude  even in a potential position of ceding  on court primacy to yr. 1 Romeo.

Oh........

Romeo- Grant Hill .Got that comparison supported with points thrown at me today in a thorough manner making me believe it came from some recruiting article. .You might have heard/read that out there but it's new to me?

Been taking in a bit of info from all of the various public sources.Tried to lurk a few threads here to see if I could dig that up, but my mobile is awful from the park.Anyone else read/heard Romeo - Grant Hill compaisons?

Haven't heard that one before. I think in the long run he can certainly be that caliber player. As freshman and on the teams they were on...Grant wasn't asked to do a ton of scoring and his defense was great. Romeo will be much more a scorer and I can't see him having the defensive impact that Grant had....but both are talented and should be able to distribute the ball. I also didn't see Grant as having a really good 3pt threat...he could knock it down but certainly not his strength....I just think Romeo's overall scoring is superior and Grant's defense and passing/offensive IQ might be higher....but similar builds and elite players with incredible attributes for sure....and playing on two very distinct teams.....one for a back to back NC caliber squad and Romeo on a team trying to battle for a conference title...much more will be asked and expected of Romeo.

15 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Oh........

Don't want to ever hear the term iron sharpens iron ever again because Chuck Pagano would always use that term. Also I don't want to hear trust the process either

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't want to ever hear the term iron sharpens iron ever again because Chuck Pagano would always use that term. Also I don't want to hear trust the process either

LOL...Chuck wasn't the first to use that.

I personally don't care for the Grant Hill comparisons as I think that limits Romeo.  He's a better prospect than Grant Hill, IMO.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I personally don't care for the Grant Hill comparisons as I think that limits Romeo.  He's a better prospect than Grant Hill, IMO.

If it means he'll throw a full court pass with two seconds left in the game to someone who hits a turnaround jumper to beat UK with a trip to the Final Four on the line.......I'll take it.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...Chuck wasn't the first to use that.

Wondering what you mean in regards to Hill? It limits Langford in terms of his freshmen year expectations compared to Hill’s, or for his entire career?

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Hill was pretty highly regarded. Romeo will be good, but he’s yet to play a college game folks

Not that FK was doing this, but people also forget just how great Hill was in the NBA before the ankle injuries. People forget, he was a 7-time All-Star, and if not for the injuries he would have been the bridge as the best perimeter player in the NBA between Jordan and Kobe. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wondering what you mean in regards to Hill? It limits Langford in terms of his freshmen year expectations compared to Hill’s, or for his entire career?

I'm looking at a career 32% shooter from 3 who had a lengthy but unspectacular NBA career.  I've got high hopes for this kid.  I'm not ready to limit him by comparing him to a good but not great (and frankly, kind of boring) player.  He may fall short, but I'm not ready to box him in and limit him just yet.

Added after I saw your post: Hey, it's obvious you like Grant a lot more than I did. Maybe it's due to him being slowed by injuries, but Hill never inspired me like some of the other greats.  I don't remember a fanbase embracing Hill like Indiana has embraced Vic.  Maybe a Grant Hill type career is all Romeo is capable of.  Maybe he's not even capable of that.  I like comparisons that push a player to reach them. I'm not yet convinced that comparison pushes Romeo.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm looking at a career 32% shooter from 3 who had a lengthy but unspectacular NBA career.  I've got high hopes for this kid.  I'm not ready to limit him by comparing him to a good but not great (and frankly, kind of boring) player.  He may fall short, but I'm not ready to box him in and limit him just yet.

Added after I saw your post: Hey, it's obvious you like Grant a lot more than I did. Maybe it's due to him being slowed by injuries, but Hill never inspired me like some of the other greats.  I don't remember a fanbase embracing Hill like Indiana has embraced Vic.  Maybe a Grant Hill type career is all Romeo is capable of.  Maybe he's not even capable of that.  I like comparisons that push a player to reach them. I'm not yet convinced that comparison pushes Romeo.

I don’t think you’re remembering pre-injury Grant Hill. Dude was a 7-time All-Star before he got injured and would have been a 10-12 time All-Star and slam dunk first ballot HOF’er if not for the ankle injuries. I would say Duke fans love Hill plenty. 

I’m super excited about Langford, as we all are, but to say comparing him to a 7-time NBA All-Star is limiting him, is kind of letting the hype train get off the rails. 

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

When you have some time, I’d ask you to read this article. 

https://ca.nba.com/news/2018-hall-of-fame-ceremony-how-good-was-grant-hill-injury/1gpcgsnbclfg91m9yd3yegap4k

Some excerpts from include Hill having 24 triple doubles his first three years in the league, with Jason Kidd coming in second over that span with six, Hill’s numbers in his first 6 years in the NBA being almost identical LeBron (except lower in scoring), and his peak season, from an analytics perspective, being better than Kobe’s peak season. 

The guy would be viewed in the Kobe, Wade, etc. level of player of not for his ankles. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think you’re remembering pre-injury Grant Hill. Dude was a 7-time All-Star before he got injured and would have been a 10-12 time All-Star and slam dunk first ballot HOF’er if not for the ankle injuries. I would say Duke fans love Hill plenty. 

I’m super excited about Langford, as we all are, but to say comparing him to a 7-time NBA All-Star is limiting him, is kind of letting the hype train get off the rails. 

I'm sure I'm remembering the back half of his career better than the early part, I'll give you that. What I remember was a good player really didn't stand out on the floor as someone who could take over a game.

Maybe I'm too high on this kid.  I'm bound to be wrong as often as I'm right.  I just have a feeling about this kid, kind of like I had a feeling about the Pacers trade for Vic last year.  It's really hard for me to compare the best players to other players when I see holes in their game.  For Hill, the hole I see was outside shooting.  I'll allow he did a lot of other things pretty well, but I still see that one flaw and I just want to see Romeo be the best player he can be without boxing him in.

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

When you have some time, I’d ask you to read this article. 

https://ca.nba.com/news/2018-hall-of-fame-ceremony-how-good-was-grant-hill-injury/1gpcgsnbclfg91m9yd3yegap4k

Some excerpts from include Hill having 24 triple doubles his first three years in the league, with Jason Kidd coming in second over that span with six, Hill’s numbers in his first 6 years in the NBA being almost identical LeBron (except lower in scoring), and his peak season, from an analytics perspective, being better than Kobe’s peak season. 

The guy would be viewed in the Kobe, Wade, etc. level of player of not for his ankles. 

I understand your argument.  Is it fair to want Romeo to have a better outside shot and to not have any career-altering injuries?

No question, my opinion is colored by what Hill did post-injury.  I'm just not ready to put any limits on Romeo just yet.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:25 AM, jblaz13 said:

Oh........

I have watched Romeo for the past four years here at New Albany and Grant Hill is the player I compare him to.  Romeo is hard to compare other players to but I do think Grant is the closest.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I understand your argument.  Is it fair to want Romeo to have a better outside shot and to not have any career-altering injuries?

No question, my opinion is colored by what Hill did post-injury.  I'm just not ready to put any limits on Romeo just yet.

Did you get a chance to read the article? 

Absolutely, I would never want anyone to have injuries, and Hill’s injuries impact how he’s viewed for sure. I wish Hill hadn’t gotten injured, because we lost out on seeing the peak prime of one of the all-time greats. Yes, it’s definitely fair to want Langford to be a better 3-pt shooter, but if he turns out as good of an all-around player as Hill was pre-injury then that is a massive accomplishment. 

I get what you’re saying too, that the injuries are a part of Hill’s story, but at the same time if Hill hadn’t gotten injured he would be considered a better player historically than guys like Ray Allen, Paul Pierce (you know I’m Celtics homer), Reggie Miller, McGrady, Vince Carter, etc., and would be in the Kobe conversation. 

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Grant Hill was on the cusp of becoming the game's best player (or one of), he was that good. His injuries absolutely killed the great player he was becoming, but he still carved out a respectable NBA career. They only way you can say a comparison to Hill is unfavorable is to look at HIll's post-injury career.

36 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Grant Hill was on the cusp of becoming the game's best player (or one of), he was that good. His injuries absolutely killed the great player he was becoming, but he still carved out a respectable NBA career. They only way you can say a comparison to Hill is unfavorable is to look at HIll's post-injury career.

I agree with that and will add that most people that followed the NBA at that time(me included) considered him to be the heir to MJ.  That is how good Grant was.  

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You might want to look back at his stats because his first 6 years were great

1st 19.9 6.4  5.0

2nd 20.2 9.8 6.9

3rd 21.4  9.0 7.3

4th 21.2  7.7  6.8

5th 21.1  7.1  6.0

6th 25.8  6.6  5.2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Did you get a chance to read the article? 

Absolutely, I would never want anyone to have injuries, and Hill’s injuries impact how he’s viewed for sure. I wish Hill hadn’t gotten injured, because we lost out on seeing the peak prime of one of the all-time greats. Yes, it’s definitely fair to want Langford to be a better 3-pt shooter, but if he turns out as good of an all-around player as Hill was pre-injury then that is a massive accomplishment. 

I get what you’re saying too, that the injuries are a part of Hill’s story, but at the same time if Hill hadn’t gotten injured he would be considered a better player historically than guys like Ray Allen, Paul Pierce (you know I’m Celtics homer), Reggie Miller, McGrady, Vince Carter, etc., and would be in the Kobe conversation. 

I did read it and he's likely better than my memory credits him for.  The injuries do make you wonder what might have been.  I've struggled to find a close comparison to Romeo and you all may be right.  I don't see it at least yet because Romeo seems so effortless and unique.  The clip of Juwan's reaction at media day to Romeo's sick move in a clip from last year was priceless.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how he translates because thus far, he just seems like s special player and I include personality/mindset in that assessment.

I'm still not ready to limit Romeo with such a comparison, but I understand where everyone is coming from.

If Romeo averages 19.9 his first year in the league, I would say he is doing good. He will only be one year out of high school when he is playing his first year though. Hill played at Duke for 4 years. I think Romeo could get back to back championships if he stayed all 4, sounds worth trying to me!

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I did read it and he's likely better than my memory credits him for.  The injuries do make you wonder what might have been.  I've struggled to find a close comparison to Romeo and you all may be right.  I don't see it at least yet because Romeo seems so effortless and unique.  The clip of Juwan's reaction at media day to Romeo's sick move in a clip from last year was priceless.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how he translates because thus far, he just seems like s special player and I include personality/mindset in that assessment.

I'm still not ready to limit Romeo with such a comparison, but I understand where everyone is coming from.

I agree it’s not a great comparison, in terms of style of play, Hill was a 6’8” point forward, where Langford is more of a straight shooting guard/perimeter player. Hill had a more all-around floor game, distributing, etc., and was a legit high level defender. Langford is definitely more of a pure, natural scorer at this point. 

I do disagree big time that it’s some how a limiting comparison for Langford. If Langford has equaled Hill’s accomplishments through 7 NBA seasons, then I’d consider Langford a phenomenal success who has not only matched but surpassed the hype. 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You  mean effortless like tis Grant Hill dunk against UNLV

• 2 weeks later...

Archived