Iowa Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said many times that IU should emulate Iowa and UW when building the football program.  You build your program up front on both sides of the ball and Iowa wins games in those two areas.  You need to be able control the line on offense and run the ball like Iowa is doing today.  On defense you need to get penetration from the DL which we can't do.  I am tired of watching the spread off offense and the up tempo style because when you don't have great talent this will not work.  We have a 3rd and 1 and we are in the shot gun with no backs and that is not the type of football I like seeing.

Can't get away from what worked on offense last drive either.Definitely need to forget the Iowa TD and move on mentally.Unfortunatrly the defense will have to do the same. Other than the pick, Im not seeing it out there so far. The D is running like they gained 10 lbs and need to take a dump.Just saying.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have said many times that IU should emulate Iowa and UW when building the football program.  You build your program up front on both sides of the ball and Iowa wins games in those two areas.  You need to be able control the line on offense and run the ball like Iowa is doing today.  On defense you need to get penetration from the DL which we can't do.  I am tired of watching the spread off offense and the up tempo style because when you don't have great talent this will not work.  We have a 3rd and 1 and we are in the shot gun with no backs and that is not the type of football I like seeing.

I agree, and this is why I felt Kevin Wilson was an awful fit for this program. He basically wanted to make us Oregon with a fraction of the talent and athletes. When you have inferior talent and athletes, which we do against most Big Ten teams, the last thing you want to do is make things more complicated and lengthen the game.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I like Ramsey stepping up in the pocket. Too often the pocket collapses and he runs to the outside. That was a nice 3rd down run.

Ramsey running when the pocket breaks down is a much better situation than designed runs on the read option.  He can run, but we try designed runs too much.

Archived