Iowa Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Coaching is an issue. They need to bench Ramsey, he's not a starting Big Ten QB. Team is getting worse as the year continues. They have decent talent and aren't using it on offense. Westbrook and Hale are good. Where are they?? 

The line is much improved, as should be expected as green as they were, and there are good receivers. Losing the back early this year hurts because he is physical and Jones is a future star if he keeps his head and builds muscle but it is incredibly tough for a young back in the big ten because the hits add up.

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Coaching is an issue. They need to bench Ramsey, he's not a starting Big Ten QB. Team is getting worse as the year continues. They have decent talent and aren't using it on offense. Westbrook and Hale are good. Where are they?? 

But his completion percentage is the best in the league so he must be good, right?

29 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What do you say as a coach after that showing? Penn St. will kill us. I'm not sure we will win 6 playing like this. This entire team and the coaches need a trip  to the WOODSHED!!!

I would be surprised if we win another game this year.  I hope Sampson won't change his mind after seeing this game and if we lose the rest of the games this year.

30 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

We have no intermediate passing game wat so ever.  it is either those little dink and dunk asses or just throw up a long pass hoping our WR goes up and catches it.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I am calmed down now.  Fire DeBord and change the QB.  Don't waste the season......which it appears is what they are doing.

I actually agree. If Allen wants to be the head coach in the Big Ten, he has to get rid of DeBad and bench Ramsey. Toughness isn't enough, which Ramsey is. He doesn't have the arm for the type of team they are putting on the field. If they had a dominating run game, sure, but they don't. 

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Agreed on DeBord and Ramsey. If next year's offense is Ramsey under center and DeBord calling plays, Allen might be on the hot seat.

They might be able to get by with Ramsey if they have a real offensive coordinator, but I'm tired of just getting by. Penix needs to be under center game 1 next year.

I want Penix behind center ASAP.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I am calmed down now.  Fire DeBord and change the QB.  Don't waste the season......which it appears is what they are doing.

Disagree.  

Finish the year with PR and DeBoard.  Unfortunately, I now do not see another win for the rest of the season.  No chance of a Bowl bid either after today's total and complete humiliation.  From the coaching to the execution simply one complete Cluster F@*k in every phase of the game.

I believe Penix can play 2 more games without losing his redshirt.  Hold him back and let him start the last 2 games Mich and Purdue.  At end season, reassess ENTIRE program from top to bottom.  Need to decide offensive philosophy and recruit OC to fit that philosophy.  Needs to determine if CTA should be both HC and DC.  Defense didn't impress today either.

We definitely have improved our skill players.  Wins begin in the trenches.  Nothing gets better for any OC or DC until their respective line play is consistant. That has to be our priority going forward.  

3 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Disagree.  

Finish the year with PR and DeBoard.  Unfortunately, I now do not see another win for the rest of the season.  No chance of a Bowl bid either after today's total and complete humiliation.  From the coaching to the execution simply one complete Cluster F@*k in every phase of the game.

I believe Penix can play 2 more games without losing his redshirt.  Hold him back and let him start the last 2 games Mich and Purdue.  At end season, reassess ENTIRE program from top to bottom.  Need to decide offensive philosophy and recruit OC to fit that philosophy.  Needs to determine if CTA should be both HC and DC.  Defense didn't impress today either.

We definitely have improved our skill players.  Wins begin in the trenches.  Nothing gets better for any OC or DC until their respective line play is consistant. That has to be our priority going forward.  

You do something to TRY to salvage the season.

It’s not just Debord.  Hiller as offensive line coach is not effective.  There’s been a demonstrable drop off since we irresponsibly allowed Frey to leave for more money.  We need a better coach who can recruit the big uglies and develop them.  

If you want to play good D and run the ball, the offensive line needs to be a central piece.  

I frankly expected more on the field this year and wonder how some of the younger guys (Caleb Jones, Nworah and others) are developing.  

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s not just Debord.  Hiller as offensive line coach is not effective.  There’s been a demonstrable drop off since we irresponsibly allowed Frey to leave for more money.  We need a better coach who can recruit the big uglies and develop them.  

If you want to play good D and run the ball, the offensive line needs to be a central piece.  

I frankly expected more on the field this year and wonder how some of the younger guys (Caleb Jones, Nworah and others) are developing.  

Everyone knew at the beginning of the season that if we did not have a strong run game it would be ugly. Ramsey can not stretch a field unless it is a jump ball and anytime he throws an out the defense sees pick six. But that was a known from the start so you have to be able to run. So you have to play dink ball and you have to run. The line is better on pass blocking, but that didn’t take much. What is concerning is the development of the run game, or lack thereof. I just don’t believe this group of coaches know how to evaluate talent that can work together and beat big programs. These players are always going to leave it on the field and if you see them not, it is because they will have lost faith in their coaching. As for coaching, Glass didn’t even make an effort to interview a head coach. This isn’t all Allen, it isn’t all the players, this is a low expectation from the top in the way Glass handled the hiring and the message he sent, you have to demand excellence. Almost like he didn’t think it would be a coveted job for a young exciting coach. It is the big ten for goodness sakes. There are dozens of coaches who are exciting and young who would love the challenge and would excite the recruits and program. That said, there are plenty of games left that are winnable. At least three games that we have the talent to win. It is depressing to see talent wasted, but the program needs the wins. Frankly, if they win six or seven I would still force Glass to look for a new coach! There needs to be an attitude that just being average is not enough and that starts at the top. The goal should not and can not be to simply qualify for a chump bowl game.

We get Maryland (coaching issues and all) at home, Purdue at home, and Minnesota is still not consistent like they will be with that coach. The team can have a decent finish.

Talk of Allen being on the hot seat is premature I think. He's been here for a year and a half and we're 4-3 this year and still have a chance to make a bowl.  He'll be fine as long as he has the balls to get rid of the people he needs to get rid of this off-season.

DeBord, Hiller, Inge all have to go. They've all been terrible at their position. I can live with Inge staying, but if DeBord and Hiller return I'll start doubting Allen.

Today was terrible. No ifs, ands or buts. All facets were terrible. Having said that, the defense hadn't been terrible this year and we basically only lose Crawford next year. We have tons of young talent on defense. We have tons of young talent on offense too, but I don't think we have the coaches in place to take advantage of it. Get the right coaches and we can take off.

I would imagine the defense is starting to get tired of watching our crappy conservative offense and is tired of getting thrown back on the field after quick offensive series. Take next week's whoopin and survive healthy, get ready for Minnesota, and then have a much needed bye week to prepare for the last few games. It ain't over yet!

1 hour ago, Payday said:

Everyone knew at the beginning of the season that if we did not have a strong run game it would be ugly. Ramsey can not stretch a field unless it is a jump ball and anytime he throws an out the defense sees pick six. But that was a known from the start so you have to be able to run. So you have to play dink ball and you have to run. The line is better on pass blocking, but that didn’t take much. What is concerning is the development of the run game, or lack thereof. I just don’t believe this group of coaches know how to evaluate talent that can work together and beat big programs. These players are always going to leave it on the field and if you see them not, it is because they will have lost faith in their coaching. As for coaching, Glass didn’t even make an effort to interview a head coach. This isn’t all Allen, it isn’t all the players, this is a low expectation from the top in the way Glass handled the hiring and the message he sent, you have to demand excellence. Almost like he didn’t think it would be a coveted job for a young exciting coach. It is the big ten for goodness sakes. There are dozens of coaches who are exciting and young who would love the challenge and would excite the recruits and program. That said, there are plenty of games left that are winnable. At least three games that we have the talent to win. It is depressing to see talent wasted, but the program needs the wins. Frankly, if they win six or seven I would still force Glass to look for a new coach! There needs to be an attitude that just being average is not enough and that starts at the top. The goal should not and can not be to simply qualify for a chump bowl game.

We get Maryland (coaching issues and all) at home, Purdue at home, and Minnesota is still not consistent like they will be with that coach. The team can have a decent finish.

Payday, as always find your perspective interesting.

Glass has already made the HC hire in CTA.  I think the coaching staff has made some inroads on the recruiting front.  I still think the program will not move forward until the OL and DL play improves and becomes consistent.  We know CTA is a new HC.  He is still learning on the job.  However, he needs to understand he has moved from VP to the CEO role.  I don't think he has yet established his vision of the offense that he wants IU to run but rather has delegated that entirely to DeBoard.  We are now in year 2.  It is time that he makes a decision and holds his OC accountable to produce/recruit or be replaced.  Same thing holds for the Line coaches for O and D.  

On D, he has to decide if it is wise for him to continue to wear 2 hats as HC and DC or to hire someone to again institute his philosophy.  

We are still in learning and growing phase with both the coaching staff and the players/recruits.  I don't think Hoosiernation is going to be patient beyond next year.  CTA is going to determine his fate and I don't think he has more than 1-2yr to get it done.  I still hold out hope he can do it but progress needs to be seen soon.  

I was at the game; worst game bar none of Allen's tenure.  What made it sting the worst is the defense was the worst part of the performance today. 

I still think this team can make a bowl; in reality, today was aberrant vs. a trend.

I didn't have a problem with some of the sideline penalties.  I liken it somewhat to getting a technical to fire up your team, but you can't keep doing it throughout the game.

Refs were atrocious first half; with fair officiating, IU is up or at least tied at halftime.

Ramsey is more than capable of making those intermediate throws, but he did miss a good number of open receivers downfield opting for the checkdown.  If Debord is calling those plays intending it to get thrown downfield, and we aren't, it's time to bring in Penix, but I don't really think that's the issue.

One last thing; listening to the radio postgame show, someone called in saying that at the end of the game when the stadium was largely empty, he could hear the Iowa coaches yelling out plays to the defense after IU signaled the play with the boards.  I was kind of wondering if Iowa somehow knew what we were running on offense and defense all game; they always seemed to have the perfect play called.  If somehow Iowa figured out our playcalling signalling, It would in part explain the abberant performance from IU today, particularly on defense.  Iowa's third down conversion rate was far above what IU has been allowing this year.  I think this is also an inherent weakness of hurry-up offense; you can't read play calls when a guy is sent to the huddle with the play.

Regardless, IU just completely phoned it in today, particularly in the second half; it was just disappointing all around, but I'm not ready to give up on the team yet.  A bowl is still very much a possibility, and I still believe IU is set to be greatly improved in the coming few years, provided we make a change at offensive coordinator.

Archived