Iowa Game Thread

KDB

Here's Allen's post game comments. Pretty open that he and the team didn't do a good enough job (obviously). I'm confident this will be the worst defensive game of the year.

He said the first penalty on an assistant was while the coach was yelling at our cornerback who just got burned. Allen said the ref told him he wasn't sure if our coach was yelling at a player or a ref, but still threw the flag. Imagine that happening to Meyer, Harbaugh, or basically anybody else getting called for that. Seemed pretty clear in the first half that the refs had it out for us. We didn't need that with how bad we played!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Here's Allen's post game comments. Pretty open that he and the team didn't do a good enough job (obviously). I'm confident this will be the worst defensive game of the year.

He said the first penalty on an assistant was while the coach was yelling at our cornerback who just got burned. Allen said the ref told him he wasn't sure if our coach was yelling at a player or a ref, but still threw the flag. Imagine that happening to Meyer, Harbaugh, or basically anybody else getting called for that. Seemed pretty clear in the first half that the refs had it out for us. We didn't need that with how bad we played!

Unbelievable. As bad as we played Big Ten officials are effing terrible

We will never compete until we have higher level of recruiting.  By all accounts, Allen is recruiting pretty well.  I think we have the 10th best class in the Big coming in with future positive signs, which says a lot that our history is so bad that we are recruiting at possibly an all time level and we are still so low in the conference rankings.  I think we have to let this play out...if we are getting better players we shouldn't screw too much with things.  At some point IU must stick with someone who can build something over several years, not 2-3 years, but 6-7 years.  I think Allen can coach, and I think we need to give him time to grow as a head coach.  What the hell do we have to lose?  We have a historically bad football program.  Recruiting is the only way to claw our way out from our embarrassing past.  I think an average coach wins with great players way more than a great coach wins with average players.  This isn't basketball where great coaching wins with average talent. 

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Talk of Allen being on the hot seat is premature I think. He's been here for a year and a half and we're 4-3 this year and still have a chance to make a bowl.  He'll be fine as long as he has the balls to get rid of the people he needs to get rid of this off-season.

DeBord, Hiller, Inge all have to go. They've all been terrible at their position. I can live with Inge staying, but if DeBord and Hiller return I'll start doubting Allen.

Today was terrible. No ifs, ands or buts. All facets were terrible. Having said that, the defense hadn't been terrible this year and we basically only lose Crawford next year. We have tons of young talent on defense. We have tons of young talent on offense too, but I don't think we have the coaches in place to take advantage of it. Get the right coaches and we can take off.

I would imagine the defense is starting to get tired of watching our crappy conservative offense and is tired of getting thrown back on the field after quick offensive series. Take next week's whoopin and survive healthy, get ready for Minnesota, and then have a much needed bye week to prepare for the last few games. It ain't over yet!

No, heads roll now.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, FWIUFan said:

Payday, as always find your perspective interesting.

Glass has already made the HC hire in CTA.  I think the coaching staff has made some inroads on the recruiting front.  I still think the program will not move forward until the OL and DL play improves and becomes consistent.  We know CTA is a new HC.  He is still learning on the job.  However, he needs to understand he has moved from VP to the CEO role.  I don't think he has yet established his vision of the offense that he wants IU to run but rather has delegated that entirely to DeBoard.  We are now in year 2.  It is time that he makes a decision and holds his OC accountable to produce/recruit or be replaced.  Same thing holds for the Line coaches for O and D.  

On D, he has to decide if it is wise for him to continue to wear 2 hats as HC and DC or to hire someone to again institute his philosophy.  

We are still in learning and growing phase with both the coaching staff and the players/recruits.  I don't think Hoosiernation is going to be patient beyond next year.  CTA is going to determine his fate and I don't think he has more than 1-2yr to get it done.  I still hold out hope he can do it but progress needs to be seen soon.  

I don’t disagree with your post. My point is that this is a big ten program at a flagship State program, we don’t have o hire a coach who is learning to be a head coach and if we do it should be a young coach who brings excitement to the players and program. Frost has so far been a disaster in Nebraska, but he inherited some looming issues. The Minnesota coach is going to be very good, the Purdue coach is good, there are a lot of young coaches who are in the college ranks that are producing and there is no reason for IU not to be attractive. About the time Allen learns to be a CEO his OC will retire, his coaches are being picked off, and we will struggle recruiting. Perhaps my biggest concern is that IU is on a national program level and I get the feeling it is trying to be a home grown type program. I have to tell you, if IU is not projecting and recruiting on a national level it will be a frustrating mess. 

He has to step away from the D. Could not agree more. At the end of last year I reached out and told him there were four things he had to do, stepping back and being the CEO was first and foremost. I believe Wilson hurt himself because he would not step back and I am afraid Allen is doing the same. 

Make no mistake about it, the OL and DL have to mature fast. They have to get that old mean dog mentality. The talent is there, but they have not come together yet. Remember, they are still young and that takes game minutes.

Like I said, there are three legitimate games they are ready for right now, they just have to play within their abilities and they will be back in a bowl game.

Just now, rico said:

I will take IU and the points.

My optimistic heart says, I agree with you, but after witnessing this game today in person, ......it was the worst performance all the way around from top to bottom in several years. I have said this all along, coach Allen has to act as a head coach and quit saying "we as a staff or when "We" decide as a staff. It has to be....When "I" decide, because I'm the head coach. I understand speaking with your staff for input, but I feel there is too much of this type of thing going on. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Can we find a competent OC.  Debord drives me absolutely crazy.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Can we find a competent OC.  Debord drives me absolutely crazy.

As aggressive as CTA seems and wants to be with the defense, why would he continue to be ok with the current "soft", predictable offense, let alone DeBord? 

9 hours ago, rico said:

Now this really gets to me..........Virginia knocked off the 'Canes #16.

Being a Canes fan that game was brutal to watch after watching our Hoosiers lay down during the early game. Bad QB play, horrible play calling, excess number of penalties.....sound familiar? That was Miami in a nutshell last night.

10 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah that young stuff is really wearing thin with me as well.

Rico, I think the as fans we tend to buy the “young” excuse too often, I know I do. Because it is the staff’s job to develop young players and mesh them together. Any player will get better with playing time, if we are constantly waiting on a team to mature together then maybe we have to ask how good the coaches really are.

14 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

We will never compete until we have higher level of recruiting.  By all accounts, Allen is recruiting pretty well.  I think we have the 10th best class in the Big coming in with future positive signs, which says a lot that our history is so bad that we are recruiting at possibly an all time level and we are still so low in the conference rankings.  I think we have to let this play out...if we are getting better players we shouldn't screw too much with things.  At some point IU must stick with someone who can build something over several years, not 2-3 years, but 6-7 years.  I think Allen can coach, and I think we need to give him time to grow as a head coach.  What the hell do we have to lose?  We have a historically bad football program.  Recruiting is the only way to claw our way out from our embarrassing past.  I think an average coach wins with great players way more than a great coach wins with average players.  This isn't basketball where great coaching wins with average talent. 

I am not so sure that's really the problem though. Purdue was TERRIBLE two years ago and beat us last year and went to a bowl. The difference? A good proven head coach. Allen has to prove he can make adjustments and so far it seems he can't. We're getting worse as the year goes on and I don't think it's because of lack of talent. Teams have tape on us now. Allen really needs to show he can coach or he should be shown the door. Let's not wait until we're 2-10. The recruiting has been solid for a few years now. We're never going to have top 20 classes. I think we have plenty of player talent. I am not so sure we have plenty of coaching talent. Desire alone isn't going to make the team good. Coaching and execution are needed as well. I think the Rutgers game really made me skeptical. Allen was praising the team in the locker room when they played and coached terribly. Every win is not really a good win, even for IU. 

I am calmed down a tad more.  Time to take a step back and look at what we got.  4-3.  2 of our wins are probably against bowl teams.  Our losses are against teams that definitely are and my guess is all three will be ranked in the Top 25 when the poll comes out.  

Maybe Penix plays a lot against Maryland and Purdue?  Saving his redshirt so he has four years after this one, but maybe he can still salvage a couple of wins.  

Yesterday, everyone and their monkey knew that Iowa was throwing to their TE’s.  I am surprised we allowed both of them to score and get chunk yardage. IU has so many athletes, you'd think they could have found a way to get them covered.

Allen is recruiting well.  But, one problem with IU is putting a complete roster together.  Football needs so many numbers, it’s like trying to turn around the Titanic to try to get a full roster with good depth.  I’m a bit concerned about whack a mole, where we solve one position group, while others drop off.  We need to put it together with all position groups together and then maintain it. We are actually not tremendously far from getting to that.  

I know that our O line struggled last year, but I kept saying in the offseason that they’d take a big step forward this year and would be a strength.  Now I have egg on my face about it but I still feel like there’s some talent there, or at least better talent than we’ve seen.  Wes Martin has been all league guard.  Stepaniak is an experienced, sturdy guard.  Linder started at the U.  Cronk is a three year starter. Brandon Knight is a good player with good feet.  That should be a good unit.  There are some decent young players who you’d like to think are developing, like Caleb Jones, McKenzie Nworah, Harry Crider, and some true freshmen like Aidan Rafferty or Marozkas.  

I think Allen gets a solid four years before they think about getting rid of him unless they completely wet the bed this year and next.  That means this recruiting class and two more. He’s got good defensive principles against the spread.  He has some good picture ideas, but he needs to change out some assistants and then follow through on strengthening all units at once.  I’d hate to see our O line or receiver rooms bamboozle chances for success.  

4 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I am not so sure that's really the problem though. Purdue was TERRIBLE two years ago and beat us last year and went to a bowl. The difference? A good proven head coach. Allen has to prove he can make adjustments and so far it seems he can't. We're getting worse as the year goes on and I don't think it's because of lack of talent. Teams have tape on us now. Allen really needs to show he can coach or he should be shown the door. Let's not wait until we're 2-10. The recruiting has been solid for a few years now. We're never going to have top 20 classes. I think we have plenty of player talent. I am not so sure we have plenty of coaching talent. Desire alone isn't going to make the team good. Coaching and execution are needed as well. I think the Rutgers game really made me skeptical. Allen was praising the team in the locker room when they played and coached terribly. Every win is not really a good win, even for IU. 

Allen may not be the guy, but aside from Hep and Mallory, have we ever felt like we have the guy.  All these coaches can't be that bad, can they.  Our recruiting is that of a 5-6 win team, has been for several years. If Allen can get us recruits that are better, faster, stronger, and create more depth, than we at least have more to work with.  I guess a big part of the problem around our program is that we so rarely feel like we are confident in future sustained success, at least we don't feel confident by the time we get into mid October.  I certainly don't know what, if anything, will change the direction of the program.  It just seems we have jumped from one coach to the next to the next to the next, and here we are, exactly where we have always been.

Archived