Best Job In The B1G

5fouls

31 minutes ago, rico said:

Really?

LOL...well, yeah.  I'm sure there were Indiana basketball players that Notre Dame would have loved to have had, but knew they wouldn't cut Notre Dame standards academically.  I understand that Notre Dame sometimes bends to accommodate athletes, but there are plenty of good players who wouldn't make it even under more generous admissions.  I know Notre Dame coaches have complained that the academic standards hampered recruiting there.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...well, yeah.  I'm sure there were Indiana basketball players that Notre Dame would have loved to have had, but knew they wouldn't cut Notre Dame standards academically.  I understand that Notre Dame sometimes bends to accommodate athletes, but there are plenty of good players who wouldn't make it even under more generous admissions.  I know Notre Dame coaches have complained that the academic standards hampered recruiting there.

Hmmmm.....okay???????

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Had Jeffries really been considered a Duke lock all along?  I thought he was maybe favoring them slightly in the end but that it had been a very tough decision for him for months.  Quite unlike TJD who has been by all accounts a huge IU lean for over a year.

The summer before he committed i spoke to he and his Dad and it was about even. Dad liked the proximity of IU but Duke was rolling at the time. I dont think either school ever held a big advantage until the night before the decision.

Just like Tractor Traylor, us and UM were in good position.  With TJD there is only 1 school and several also rans no contenders 

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...not sure where you're going with this, Rico.  Educate me!

Notre Dame in it's Digger Phelps hey day did not recruit Indiana boys.  Academics did not play into any of that, it was the church.  Look up the name Jeff Peters.  He went to Notre Dame and he was my team mate.  Dumbest guy I ever knew in HS.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Notre Dame in it's Digger Phelps hey day did not recruit Indiana boys.  Academics did not play into any of that, it was the church.  Look up the name Jeff Peters.  He went to Notre Dame and he was my team mate.  Dumbest guy I ever knew in HS.

Well that's weird.  Any insight as to why the church didn't want Hoosier heathens playing for them?

EDIT: Some useless trivia for you since I know you're into it...back in the 1800's when Notre Dame was established, they almost planted it in little old Montgomery...home of the Barr-Reeve Vikings.  I can only imagine how much different it would be down here if they had done that.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Well that's weird.  Any insight as to why the church didn't want Hoosier heathens playing for them?

ND went after the best guys that attended Catholic high schools.  In Indiana, the Catholic schools were not dominant, like they were in other states.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

ND went after the best guys that attended Catholic high schools.  In Indiana, the Catholic schools were not dominant, like they were in other states.

Ahhh...religious purity.  Good thing they got past that.  It's bad enough they hamstring themselves with academic standards, your team mate notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Had Jeffries really been considered a Duke lock all along?  I thought he was maybe favoring them slightly in the end but that it had been a very tough decision for him for months.  Quite unlike TJD who has been by all accounts a huge IU lean for over a year.

Well, the story goes like this. The night before the official announcement..... Jeffries told his parents he was going to Duke.... only to surprise them the next morning.... by telling them he changed his mind... and would be announcing for IU. 

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ahhh...religious purity.  Good thing they got past that.  It's bad enough they hamstring themselves with academic standards, your team mate notwithstanding.

The fact of the matter is that if you grow up Catholic , you are a Notre Dame fan.  No matter what state you are from.  

9 hours ago, rico said:

The fact of the matter is that if you grow up Catholic , you are a Notre Dame fan.  No matter what state you are from.  

interesting.....I grew up Catholic and was an ND fan, until I became an adult and started to see how arrogant and condescending the ND alumni can be. I went to the game Saturday to help my older brother fulfill a 50 year bucket list item. I sat in the stands and bit my tongue the entire game, wanting to root for Pitt, but not wanting to ruin the experience for my brother.

39 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

interesting.....I grew up Catholic and was an ND fan, until I became an adult and started to see how arrogant and condescending the ND alumni can be. I went to the game Saturday to help my older brother fulfill a 50 year bucket list item. I sat in the stands and bit my tongue the entire game, wanting to root for Pitt, but not wanting to ruin the experience for my brother.

I am not cutting on their program......btw, did you have fun?

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Quick question. Not being an ND fan do you still get guess bumps as they run on the field. Few places have ever done that to me like ND stadium.

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am all ears give me some suggestions. 1st time at Wrigley did, 1st time at Yankee stadium not sure if anywhere did other than being in the Hall watching the #1 ranked Hoosiers

The "Big House", the "Shoe", Neyland, Fenway, or you could watch a basketball game at Warsaw!!!!!!!

I had been at a previous ND game, so knew the routine. I likened this to going to Lambeau to see the Packers. I am not a Packer fan either, but went for the benefit of my son and daughter in law. I told him that we would go before Brett Favre retired. Went twice and saw the Packers lose twice.

ND holds no special place in my heart, so I am not prone to goose bumps. I have had that experience at sporting events--IU basketball games at times, and the first lap of the Indy 500.

I had a good time at the ND game--day was beautiful, and just being with my brother as he experienced a dream of a lifetime made it enjoyable for me.

Don't know if I'd go to another game there. Not cheap and I could find other sporting events to spend the $$$ on

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Quick question. Not being an ND fan do you still get guess bumps as they run on the field. Few places have ever done that to me like ND stadium.

I know the feeling.  I get goose bumps when the jets fly over the stadium at the Air Force Academy. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

You just need to tell the story to everyone.  And my belly is ready to bust!!!!!!

Since you say so, here it goes!  Back toward the beginning of us getting some traction with Romeo's recruitment I happen to meet Dan Dakich on his show, I had won tickets for some trivia question he had asked. We talked for several minutes about a lot of topics. A few days later almost word for word Rico had said something in a post that really made me think that he was Dan!!. I went back through some of his post and was convinced that I had figured out his identity.  So much for my detective skills😀  It is safe to say that Rico is NOT Dan Dakich. That has been an inside joke between us for a while hence the avatar. If nothing else it does make us laugh and I shared my story with Rico when he needed a little humor. 

I say it all the time but this board is a special place for many of us. Thank you all that make it possible.

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Since you say so, here it goes!  Back toward the beginning of us getting some traction with Romeo's recruitment I happen to meet Dan Dakich on his show, I had won tickets for some trivia question he had asked. We talked for several minutes about a lot of topics. A few days later almost word for word Rico had said something in a post that really made me think that he was Dan!!. I went back through some of his post and was convinced that I had figured out his identity.  So much for my detective skills😀  It is safe to say that Rico is NOT Dan Dakich. That has been an inside joke between us for a while hence the avatar. If nothing else it does make us laugh and I shared my story with Rico when he needed a little humor. 

I say it all the time but this board is a special place for many of us. Thank you all that make it possible.

It still makes me laugh and smile.  You my friend were right there when I needed something the most.  To be honest, I was probably at the lowest point in my life.  Didn't understand why all this stuff was happening to me.  Your story to me was a ray of sunshine into my life.  And to show my gratitude to you, the avvy.  Now get over there and answer my trivia question!!!!!

And like me or not, I view everyone of you as family.  This place is home to me.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This is a great story Billingsley!  LOOL

It reminds me of my own detective attempt albeit one driven by guilt - being a Bloomington guy and considering dissing another local guy who went to my former high school and played for IU at that.

For a time, I thought btownqb4 was former IU-QB (Under Bill Lynch) Ben Chappell. 

When IU(Wilson) named Tre Roberson starter, in my excitement over  Tre's athletic gifts I was a bit tough on the prior QBs in the immediate preceding years.  So, thinking B-town was Chappell, I purposely refrained from dissing him but I pretty mercilessly shredded Dustin Kiel and Edward Wright-Baker.  I can't recall how I got it out of him that btown was Brownstown, but I was pretty convinced it was Ben. Annd I knew I didn't want to make him feel uncomfy with my heartfelt joy over Tre taking the reigns . 

I don't know if I ever told him I thought he was Ben directly, but I recall spending a disproportionate amount of my HSN time trying to sleuth through all of his past comments for a hint.   :D 

Archived