Best Job In The B1G

5fouls

18 minutes ago, rico said:

It still makes me laugh and smile.  You my friend were right there when I needed something the most.  To be honest, I was probably at the lowest point in my life.  Didn't understand why all this stuff was happening to me.  Your story to me was a ray of sunshine into my life.  And to show my gratitude to you, the avvy.  Now get over there and answer my trivia question!!!!!

And like me or not, I view everyone of you as family.  This place is home to me.

I am glad i could be there. Mile, IUOGGY, CC and so many others have been there for me when I was at my darkest hour. I never thought that an IU message board would be the answer to keeping me going. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am glad i could be there. Mile, IUOGGY, CC and so many others have been there for me when I was at my darkest hour. I never thought that an IU message board would be the answer to keeping me going. 

HoosierHoopster represented 3 of my ex-wives during the divorce proceedings and Bluegrass dated my next door neighbor, who turns out to be his cousin.  They are almost like family to me.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Since you say so, here it goes!  Back toward the beginning of us getting some traction with Romeo's recruitment I happen to meet Dan Dakich on his show, I had won tickets for some trivia question he had asked. We talked for several minutes about a lot of topics. A few days later almost word for word Rico had said something in a post that really made me think that he was Dan!!. I went back through some of his post and was convinced that I had figured out his identity.  So much for my detective skills😀  It is safe to say that Rico is NOT Dan Dakich. That has been an inside joke between us for a while hence the avatar. If nothing else it does make us laugh and I shared my story with Rico when he needed a little humor. 

I say it all the time but this board is a special place for many of us. Thank you all that make it possible.

If RIco was the real Dan Dakich.... he would have known that Andrean, started out as being Gary Andrean.  That's something I had to teach to Rico.

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oggy. Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.  So many, past and present that have helped to build this site. That we have gotten to know over time.  And not just as a poster.  Though he alienated some.... one of the things I loved about Oggy was that he was not afraid to speak his mind. And was more than willing to share some of the demons that he had conquered.  Over time, he and I got to be good friends. I am pleased to know he was able to help you through a tough time.

Yes. I agree.  Hoosier Sports Nation, is much more than just a fan board.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Oggy. Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.  So many, past and present that have helped to build this site. That we have gotten to know over time.  And not just as a poster.  Though he alienated some.... one of the things I loved about Oggy was that he was not afraid to speak his mind. And was more than willing to share some of the demons that he had conquered.  Over time, he and I got to be good friends. I am pleased to know he was able to help you through a tough time.

Yes. I agree.  Hoosier Sports Nation, is much more than just a fan board.

Oggy made some calls and Ayden was recognized at a home game as fan of the night. Coach Crean stopped by to say hi before the game

41 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oggy made some calls and Ayden was recognized at a home game as fan of the night. Coach Crean stopped by to say hi before the game

I know that the Mod team of Hoosier Sports Nation spearheaded the effort to get tickets for Ayden and your family to attend a game.  And I know we got shot down by the Athletic Dept... saying they could not honor the request, as that would open it up to other like requests.  And I do know that somehow, Coach Crean got wind to the request, and got tickets for you. I really don't recall how that happened.  I either forgot, or did not know that it was Oggy that made it happen for your family. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know that the Mod team of Hoosier Sports Nation spearheaded the effort to get tickets for Ayden and your family to attend a game.  And I know we got shot down by the Athletic Dept... saying they could not honor the request, as that would open it up to other like requests.  And I do know that somehow, Coach Crean got wind to the request, and got tickets for you. I really don't recall how that happened.  I either forgot, or did not know that it was Oggy that made it happen for your family. 

I was not aware of that, thank you so much. 

On a rainy summer day just a couple months after being named coach at Indiana CTC and i stood along the left field fence watching our sons play against each other.  They were both playing left field.  We talked a lot that day with it being a double header.  My wife and Ayden were in the car watching because of the rain. CTC walked all the way to our car after the first game to meet 10 month old Ayden and to sign his IU diaper bag. Over the next 8 plus years our paths crossed alot and he always asked about Ayden and my oldest oldest son Oakley.  

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

On a rainy summer day just a couple months after being named coach at Indiana CTC and i stood along the left field fence watching our sons play against each other.  They were both playing left field.  We talked a lot that day with it being a double header.  My wife and Ayden were in the car watching because of the rain. CTC walked all the way to our car after the first game to meet 10 month old Ayden and to sign his IU diaper bag. Over the next 8 plus years our paths crossed alot and he always asked about Ayden and my oldest oldest son Oakley.  

Cool story.  Coach Crean is a genuine people person.  I hope the best for him at Georgia.  Think it is far from the pressure cooker that is IUBB.  I checked some Georgia fan boards today, to see what they were saying about Crean.  Nothing.  All they were talking about was football.

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I never cared for Coach Crean's coaching ability but he was was  outstanding when it came to representing Indiana University and I think he truly loved the fans passion and knowledge of the basketball. I respect him so much for the way he handled his firing with  nothing but class and grace. 

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I never cared for Coach Crean's coaching ability but he was was  outstanding when it came to representing Indiana University and I think he truly loved the fans passion and knowledge of the basketball. I respect him so much for the way he handled his firing with  nothing but class and grace. 

And to this day. Tom Crean has not uttered a bad word about Indiana University.  Gotta respect that.  And if I were in Indiana, and he chose to come back to B-town, I would be first in line to welcome him back, because of that.

Don't have to remind fans... but I will. Crean took the job when others refused to.  And the hand he was dealt was very unkind.  Only one scholarship player left. Had to manage a program with walk on's and borrow two players from the baseball team. And when those baseball players had to leave when their practice started, actually suited up and played a guy who just a team manager.   

I often wondered.... what other D-1 coach would have done that, rather than just shutting down a program for a  year of two ?

Things may have not turned out the way we may have wished for Crean in the long run.  But.... I, for one, will always appreciate what he did for us in perhaps the most dire of times.... even after losing scholarships... but also giving up one scholarship, so we would not run afoul of the NCAA rule against Academic inadequacy.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And to this day. Tom Crean has not uttered a bad word about Indiana University.  Gotta respect that.  And if I were in Indiana, and he chose to come back to B-town, I would be first in line to welcome him back, because of that.

Don't have to remind fans... but I will. Crean took the job when others refused to.  And the hand he was dealt was very unkind.  Only one scholarship player left. Had to manage a program with walk on's and borrow two players from the baseball team. And when those baseball players had to leave when their practice started, actually suited up and played a guy who just a team manager.   

I often wondered.... what other D-1 coach would have done that, rather than just shutting down a program for a  year of two ?

Things may have not turned out the way we may have wished for Crean in the long run.  But.... I, for one, will always appreciate what he did for us in perhaps the most dire of times.... even after losing scholarships... but also giving up one scholarship, so we would not run afoul of the NCAA rule against Academic inadequacy.

Mile, I feel the same way as you do. I just watched a press conference Crean gave and he talked about Indiana, the rebuild and the type of kids he went after. Absolutely no animosity on his part. He was the right man for the job at that time and not many could do what he did. I hope one day Indiana does something for him for all that he sacrificed. Unlike a previous coach I think Crean would appreciate the gesture and I am sure the Indiana fans would be able to show their appreciation just like they would of done for you know who. 

I hope all is well with you and your family and thank you again for all you do for this forum. You are HoosierNation in my opinion!

34 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, I feel the same way as you do. I just watched a press conference Crean gave and he talked about Indiana, the rebuild and the type of kids he went after. Absolutely no animosity on his part. He was the right man for the job at that time and not many could do what he did. I hope one day Indiana does something for him for all that he sacrificed. Unlike a previous coach I think Crean would appreciate the gesture and I am sure the Indiana fans would be able to show their appreciation just like they would of done for you know who. 

I hope all is well with you and your family and thank you again for all you do for this forum. You are HoosierNation in my opinion!

Thank you.  However, you are much too kind.  So many others, like you, that make Hoosier Sports Nation what it is today.

The interesting thing about your comment.  Early on, Coach Crean reached out numerous times, to "you know who". Only to be rebuffed each and every time, and finally issue a statement, that he would quit trying to reach out.  Not sure if Mr. Glass is ready to reach out to Coach Crean, just yet.  But as I alluded to earlier, I am one fan who would love to see it happen. 

Archived