Can we get 2 more wins?

1 hour ago, Kodos said:

Being able to run the ball would be an important step.

Agree,....what has happened to that sure fire thing in Stevie? He looks so much slower to the line and seems to have stopped reading where holes open up. I know they are supposed to run through where the O-line leaves a hole, but when is closes up so quickly he continues to run where it has closes up. One particular play Saturday, Stevie obviously was supposed to go right, but if he had his head up, he could have adjusted and quickly cut left and around for 10+ yards. He ended up getting -2. I think they have been telling him to stay low, but I wonder if he is looking down too much and not seeing what the entire field gives him? It is just my observation,.....I know I am not the one running or even coaching. I just really want to see him STEAMROLL people!!

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Again, I'm no football coach,....but can't they try some form of deception, even in a spread offense? I like the split back or even an offset "I". More backs behind the QB will give more opportunities to block AND create deception.

This is the way I see it and I only played HS football.  You can create deception in the spread, but you have to have a running game to do it.  Which we don't.  Stack the backfield and create deception/misdirection.  Run options, counters, hell even sweeps.  Something.  'Cause what they are doing ain't fooling nobody.  

17 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

There are 5 games left in the season. We could loose every one of those games if we don't get our heads out of our hind ends! One would think that surely out of five games we could get at least 2... I say something big needs to change this week and it starts with coach Allen.

I say for us to win games we need to start scoring more than our opponent LOL!

I have said it many times but I have never like the spread offense with it being up tempo.  I don't think we have the talent to run this offense  effectively and to me this offense has to have a lot of talent.  I have always wanted IU to emulate Iowa or UW when trying to build our program and that is with a power running game and a good defense.

Indiana Football Notebook: Pass Defense Scheme, Personnel Changes Possible....

This just in...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It is the header to a premium article just posted 24 minutes ago....

I wonder what is cooking with the IU coaching staff now?????? This could get interesting!

8 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Agree,....what has happened to that sure fire thing in Stevie? He looks so much slower to the line and seems to have stopped reading where holes open up. I know they are supposed to run through where the O-line leaves a hole, but when is closes up so quickly he continues to run where it has closes up. One particular play Saturday, Stevie obviously was supposed to go right, but if he had his head up, he could have adjusted and quickly cut left and around for 10+ yards. He ended up getting -2. I think they have been telling him to stay low, but I wonder if he is looking down too much and not seeing what the entire field gives him? It is just my observation,.....I know I am not the one running or even coaching. I just really want to see him STEAMROLL people!!

Stevie still has a freshman body. The hits and bruises mount up over the early part of the season. We lost the power runner to an acl and he too was young but at least had a year of college training. No matter how much we want to see him roll, he still needs more muscle.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have said it many times but I have never like the spread offense with it being up tempo.  I don't think we have the talent to run this offense  effectively and to me this offense has to have a lot of talent.  I have always wanted IU to emulate Iowa or UW when trying to build our program and that is with a power running game and a good defense.

They should be getting in a huddle every damn down! You are 1000% correct, we do not have the depth to run people off the field, it is a dumb coaching effort. That high tempo only works if you have depth! We have lost more games in the last three years due to that no huddle fast passed offense then it has won for us. Run the ball, slow things down, actually do some coaching, and get back to the basics. College football in general has moved away from quality technique coaching in favor of high tempo athletic football. If you don’t have the depth you can beat them by being better coached and communication in the huddle.

Teams that are at a disadvantage run old school offenses.  We have to build the run game, veer, maryland I, wishbone, and suprise with some play action passes/runs. I like the wildcat formation too.  Modern defenses wouldn't be ready for it like they are for the predictable spread we are running.  

36 minutes ago, Indykev said:

3rd and 1 and we go empty backfield....These coaches dont want to run the ball. This staff is in over their heads, they showed that with their actions on the field Saturday.

Moronic. 3 yards and a cloud of dust could still be effective if balanced correctly. 

51 minutes ago, Indykev said:

3rd and 1 and we go empty backfield....These coaches dont want to run the ball. This staff is in over their heads, they showed that with their actions on the field Saturday.

YES I was reading these and going to comment that. In addition to that, on both 3rd and 4th and 1, they were also in shotgun... with a 200 lb QB as their only man in the backfield.

But also, in addition to the running game where we can't just abandon so quickly (aka giving Stevie one carry at the beginning of the game and pull him for a while), changes need to be made DURING a game too. If something isn't working, try something new. Even if you burn the redshirt, if Ramsey isn't scoring more than the opponent, try something different. Throw in Penix. Try different schemes, both offense and defense, and do it during the game before the game gets out of hand.

On the defensive side, these freshman DB's are getting killed out there. Get everyone to turn their head for a pass, and stop getting dumb penalties, both the players and coaches.

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

There's nothing wrong with the spread offense if you have a competent offensive coordinator.

Ours isn't even close to being competent.

It isn't our style of offense that's the problem, it's the guy running the offense.

I agree....IU's spread is a very vanilla one at best.  I feel Ramsey was told not to scramble as much, which cut our running game down even more. If you are going to use the spread put a more mobile QB in there that can at least keep the defense honest. I love watching Randel El in the spread option. Every defense, including the fans did not know what was going to happen when he was behind center. He was super effective, with a poor offense. 

Archived