Things to ponder.

rico

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

People got mad at you for bunting to move a runner? Sorry folks, that's baseball.

Playing a shift, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I can see the argument. But bunting and good baserunning are fundamentals that should be taught in little league.

The first game the other team only had 2 base runners and my lefty picked both off first. They were not receiving any coaching so instead of being mad at their coach they get mad at me for "Over coaching"

One parent after game asked me which one of my players was I trying to get an MLB contract for? I said all of them and hopefully they will remember me.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why in the world do people park at the gas pump if they are not getting gas. My new pet peeve.

Because gas stations seem to only have 2 parking spots near the door anymore.  Or, because they were getting gas, finished pumping and then went inside.

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Because gas stations seem to only have 2 parking spots near the door anymore.  Or, because they were getting gas, finished pumping and then went inside.

Nope. I believe just to be Jack wagons. Too lazy to walk to extra 20 ft they might spill their 84 oz polar pop in the way out.

The ones I love, and I say this in that I"ve actually had this happen so many times that I've come to find it humorous and smile! The people at the check out line that WAIT until the total is announced, and only then either decide to open up their purse or wallet and count out the exact change, or then dig out their checkbook!

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My little league coach taught me to bunt.  I like to believe he was teaching me the fundamentals, but the reality was I could not hit worth a damn and would otherwise strike out 80 % of the time.  

Long live the bunt!

When I was 12 my Dad was my baseball coach. We won our league championship because he firgued out early in the season that hitters 7, 8 and 9 on every team at that level strikeout 90% of the time. He also figured out that about 50% of the time kids at the level mess up fielding bunts. So, he taught our worst hitters how to bunt and anytime they came to bat with runners on he’d have them bunt. So, instead of striking out in scoring opportunities, our worst hitters at least put the ball in play to gives us a chance. 

The kids at the bottom of the order also felt good that they were contributing. It was brilliant. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

When I was 12 my Dad was my baseball coach. We won our league championship because he firgued out early in the season that hitters 7, 8 and 9 on every team at that level strikeout 90% of the time. He also figured out that about 50% of the time kids at the level mess up fielding bunts. So, he taught our worst hitters how to bunt and anytime they came to bat with runners on he’d have them bunt. So, instead of striking out in scoring opportunities, our worst hitters at least put the ball in play to gives us a chance. 

The kids at the bottom of the order also felt good that they were contributing. It was brilliant. 

Sure your last name isn't LaRussa?

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

That's good coaching.  I use my starter to pitch to the top 6 or 7 batters and then relief ag bottom most dont swing. Then bring starter back to face the top. They can pitch 4 innings

On 4/30/2019 at 6:04 PM, Drroogh said:

The ones I love, and I say this in that I"ve actually had this happen so many times that I've come to find it humorous and smile! The people at the check out line that WAIT until the total is announced, and only then either decide to open up their purse or wallet and count out the exact change, or then dig out their checkbook!

The old lady with the checkbook -- in the "short" line that you got into because it was the quick way out of the store. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The old lady with the checkbook -- in the "short" line that you got into because it was the quick way out of the store. 

I use the short line when I pick up a few items. At least at Meijers, even though they provide the option of using a paper bag, does the self- scan not recognize this? I am met with an "Unexpected item in the bagging area" message, and have to wait for the employee to enter a code so I can proceed. Sometimes, the wait is such that it would have been faster to go through a full service lane. 

Just a pet peeve.

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I use the short line when I pick up a few items. At least at Meijers, even though they provide the option of using a paper bag, does the self- scan not recognize this? I am met with an "Unexpected item in the bagging area" message, and have to wait for the employee to enter a code so I can proceed. Sometimes, the wait is such that it would have been faster to go through a full service lane. 

Just a pet peeve.

I have a goal when I enter a self-scan checkout lane: be leaving the store before anyone currently using the other self-scan lanes is done. 

Step 1: Scan first item.
Step 2: Immediately mute the automated voice.  It may incrementally help processing ability, and either way, it's $&#*ing annoying. 
Step 3: Scan remaining items.
Step 4: Reach in pocket.  Insert payment card to begin processing sequence there, while....
Step 5: Scan loyalty card, if applicable.
Step 6: Finalize payment and GTFO. 

So the next time the damn "overseer" (it's absurd to call them a cashier in a self-check lane) wants to remind me I forgot to scan my loyalty card, back off, hoser.  I didn't forget.  It's inefficient to reach into my pocket twice, and also slows the scanning process down.  Also, I'm aware I have all 5 of my items in 1 bag.  No I'm not going to double bag it.  I've ensured that none of the corners are poking out, and so long as there's not an initial tear in the bag, most plastic bags are designed to a thickness that will support more than the .75 pounds you're trained to put in there. 

*pant, pant*

Well, I feel better now.  :cheers:

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I have a goal when I enter a self-scan checkout lane: be leaving the store before anyone currently using the other self-scan lanes is done. 

Step 1: Scan first item.
Step 2: Immediately mute the automated voice.  It may incrementally help processing ability, and either way, it's $&#*ing annoying. 
Step 3: Scan remaining items.
Step 4: Reach in pocket.  Insert payment card to begin processing sequence there, while....
Step 5: Scan loyalty card, if applicable.
Step 6: Finalize payment and GTFO. 

So the next time the damn "overseer" (it's absurd to call them a cashier in a self-check lane) wants to remind me I forgot to scan my loyalty card, back off, hoser.  I didn't forget.  It's inefficient to reach into my pocket twice, and also slows the scanning process down.  Also, I'm aware I have all 5 of my items in 1 bag.  No I'm not going to double bag it.  I've ensured that none of the corners are poking out, and so long as there's not an initial tear in the bag, most plastic bags are designed to a thickness that will support more than the .75 pounds you're trained to put in there. 

*pant, pant*

Well, I feel better now.  :cheers:

Okay Zline since you seem to be one of the ones trying to live a healthy lifestyle, how do you deal with the fresh fruit and vegetables at the self checkout? Myself if I only have one or two I use self checkouts after that it’s full service!

3 hours ago, rico said:

Sooooo......you have ran into my Mother?

Is she the one that knows every relative of the person checking her out and spends a half hour catching up?

seriously, just happened yesterday and I had to jump lines!

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Okay Zline since you seem to be one of the ones trying to live a healthy lifestyle, how do you deal with the fresh fruit and vegetables at the self checkout? Myself if I only have one or two I use self checkouts after that it’s full service!

Sorry to break in.......what is this healthy lifestyle that you speak of?  

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

How do I deal with fresh fruit and vegetables? Easy, I don't buy them. 😂

I am by no means a health nut. That said, the staple of my diet the last 4 months has been Naked brand Tropical Protien Smoothies. That's generally my breakfast and lunch through the week. They're healthy, they're actually filling, and I can down lunch in 30 seconds and get back to work. Then I eat whatever I want for dinner (within reason....mosf of the time).

My workouts generally consist of carrying large objects from Lowes to my car, then from my car to various points around the house for manipulation/installation. Translation: I'm not a gym rat. Although I can carry, load and unload 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" MDF (60-65 lbs) by myself. J

My diet and routines work for me, but I in no way even think they'd work for someone else, let alone endorse its use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, Zlinedavid said:

How do I deal with fresh fruit and vegetables? Easy, I don't buy them. 😂

I am by no means a health nut. That said, the staple of my diet the last 4 months has been Naked brand Tropical Protien Smoothies. That's generally my breakfast and lunch through the week. They're healthy, they're actually filling, and I can down lunch in 30 seconds and get back to work. Then I eat whatever I want for dinner (within reason....mosf of the time).

My workouts generally consist of carrying large objects from Lowes to my car, then from my car to various points around the house for manipulation/installation. Translation: I'm not a gym rat. Although I can carry, load and unload 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" MDF (60-65 lbs) by myself. J

My diet and routines work for me, but I in no way even think they'd work for someone else, let alone endorse its use.

Not trying to be a jerk, honestly trying to be helpful (I work in the health/wellness space), those Naked Brand Smoothies aren't really healthy. They have tons and tons of sugar and preservatives and are made with soy/whey protein, as opposed to a clean plant-based protein. 

Love that you're focusing on health, and sounds like you have a great eating schedule, so just wanted to help if I could. 

Archived