Add Former IU Asst. Coach McClain to list of Shady coaches

Indykev

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not as bad as the FBI scandal I suppose but all that bad attention for $2500?  Sad world...

That is one thing that bothers me with recent infraction claims (I guess dollars or otherwise)...it seems like a $500 impermissible benefit gets lumped in with a 100k impermissible benefit quite often in these findings and presented in the same light. True, both are wrong and punishable but the severity of punishment should be vastly different.

In a similar non-dollars scenario, we get killed for coming forth over texting while Louisville is still fielding a competitive team THIS year hot on the heels of signing players who received hundreds of thousands of dollars illegally, canning their HOF coach for finally getting caught...and of course who could forget the strippers. And then there's UNC who just makes up classes...

16 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

In a similar non-dollars scenario, we get killed for coming forth over texting while Louisville is still fielding a competitive team THIS year hot on the heels of signing players who received hundreds of thousands of dollars illegally, canning their HOF coach for finally getting caught...and of course who could forget the strippers. And then there's UNC who just makes up classes...

The real difference is we self-reported and then self-imposed sanctions. IU killed itself, realistically, after the NCAA's ridiculous infractions determinations on Sampson's phone-gate violations. UNC, Louisville and other schools denied and fought the imposition of any sanctions. It's ironic that by taking the high road, and going beyond doing the "right thing," IU killed its own program for many years.

On the flip side, or because of our U's decision to take a really big hit, IU can say it is running things the right way, it places education and ethics and NCAA rules (even the stupid ones) first, and with all that, we're now back on track to building a hell of a basketball program. That's how a flagship U should be, imo.

I'll report. And let Hoosier Sports Nation decide.

First of all this is a report from a site calling itself HoopDirt.com

Second of all. This is a story that is at least two years old.

Third of all. Steve told investigators, that the $2,500 came to him to help him with the BB camps he personally runs. While he makes $400,000/year... that is no where in the ball park of what we recently saw Matt Painter getting, nor his recent increase.

Fourth of all.  Steve when admitted to the investigators that he failed to report the $2,500 to UIC, he subsequently gave the $2,500 to charity.

And lastly... and it has nothing to do with this egregious report...... whether you like De'Ron Davis or not.... De'Ron would not be a Hoosier today, if it were not for Steve. 

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I'll report. And let Hoosier Sports Nation decide.

First of all this is a report from a site calling itself HoopDirt.com

Second of all. This is a story that is at least two years old.

Third of all. Steve told investigators, that the $2,500 came to him to help him with the BB camps he personally runs. While he makes $400,000/year... that is no where in the ball park of what we recently saw Matt Painter getting, nor his recent increase.

Fourth of all.  Steve when admitted to the investigators that he failed to report the $2,500 to UIC, he subsequently gave the $2,500 to charity.

And lastly... and it has nothing to do with this egregious report...... whether you like De'Ron Davis or not.... De'Ron would not be a Hoosier today, if it were not for Steve. 

You left this part out. I know it doesnt fit with how you want it to but its important.

Still, the assistant inspector general concluded that McClain “engaged in activities on behalf of FastModel Sports that created a conflict of interest in violation of UIC’s conflict of interest policy and Facility Use Agreement.”

Violations like this would get a lot of people in a lot of trouble at many jobs. UIC put a “letter of expectations” in the coach’s personnel file and had him undergo training about gifts and conflicts of interest.

Reading it i'm guessing he just didnt know the rules at his job.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

You left this part out. I know it doesnt fit with how you want it to but its important.

Still, the assistant inspector general concluded that McClain “engaged in activities on behalf of FastModel Sports that created a conflict of interest in violation of UIC’s conflict of interest policy and Facility Use Agreement.”

Violations like this would get a lot of people in a lot of trouble at many jobs. UIC put a “letter of expectations” in the coach’s personnel file and had him undergo training about gifts and conflicts of interest.

Reading it i'm guessing he just didnt know the rules at his job.

And yet the book keeper for Fast Model admitted that she covered up the the $2.500 payment, by posting the money went to UIC to upgrade it's software requirements, rather than to Steve for his BB camp.   Thinking that this would cover up what the $2.500 was truly intended for (to help Steve's BB camp).  Instead of making matters better, she made them worse.  Steve conceded he was guilty of not reporting the money to UIC. However, the money was not for the purpose the book keeper reported on the books.  And as I stated above, instead of keeping the money, Steve donated it to charity.   So.... I have to ask, before we start labeling anyone as being shady,  who's the shady character here ?  Steve who got money, knowing it was for his BB camp, and failed to report it ?  Or the book keeper who tried to cover up the real reason for the contribution ? 

I will concede that Steve , at the time may  not have been aware that he was breaking the rules.  But, I don't see an intent to break the rules as we have seen with so many other coaches in recent months and years.  Including our own Kelvin Sampson.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

After all of the information that has came out in the past year, I've concluded that the only D1 coach that does NOT cheat is John Calipari.  :coffee:

He is the Keyser Soze of college basketball.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that..he's gone."

34 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

He is the Keyser Soze of college basketball.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that..he's gone."

We could make a list of the characters of The Usual Suspects using dirty college coaches.  I dont think we have enough roles for all of them 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

After all of the information that has came out in the past year, I've concluded that the only D1 coach that does NOT cheat is John Calipari.  :coffee:

UK is in the G-League right???  Thats where I see most of their roster anyway.  But you gotta wonder, why would anybody want to be a 1 n done @ UK when they'd have to take a pay cut?

On 10/16/2018 at 8:22 AM, 3Ballin said:

UK is in the G-League right???  Thats where I see most of their roster anyway.  But you gotta wonder, why would anybody want to be a 1 n done @ UK when they'd have to take a pay cut?

Huh??  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courier-journal.com/amp/29558625

This is an old article because the figure I heard a few days ago was Cals players at UK have and will earn over a billion dollars through their current contracts. They are making bank. Again not saying it’s because of Cal or they wouldn’t earn it otherwise or he doesn’t have some busts but the money they are getting in college is pocket change for most of them. Not counting endorsements.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:22 AM, Billingsley99 said:

We could make a list of the characters of The Usual Suspects using dirty college coaches.  I dont think we have enough roles for all of them 

When including UK in the thought , I get more of a "The Devil's Rejects" vibe, minus all of the matted shoulder length hair, blood and Rob Zombie stuff    :D  Ya know ....Because it's mid- late October and all. 

Archived