2018-19 Player Preview: Clifton Moore

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I was half expecting the link to go to a blank page.  I'll be shocked if Clifton is around next season.

Tim Priller stayed four seasons.  Unless Clifton leaves voluntarily, I don't think Archie will push him out.  He's no Grant Gelon either. 

I don't think next year's class is a 4-man class unless someone besides Romeo tells Archie they are leaving.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Tim Priller stayed four seasons.  Unless Clifton leaves voluntarily, I don't think Archie will push him out.  He's no Grant Gelon either. 

I don't think next year's class is a 4-man class unless someone besides Romeo tells Archie they are leaving.

Exactly while he'll leave.  He wants to play.  That won't happen this season or next season either with TJD, DD, Race, Forrester, and Smith.  He's as good as gone IMO.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Exactly while he'll leave.  He wants to play.  That won't happen this season or next season either with TJD, DD, Race, Forrester, and Smith.  He's as good as gone IMO.

He might leave.  I'm not nearly as convinced as you are...at least not yet.  If we get to the conference season and he's averaged less than five minutes a game, I'll be more convinced.

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Archie’s already pushed two players out since he got here.  No reason to think he won’t do it again.  

44 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Sure there is.  He recruited Clifton Moore.

Yeah, don’t think this makes much of a difference.  They were Crean’s recruits, and he didn’t have much of a choice but to try to keep them on board with how late in the recruiting cycle he got to IU.  Who knows if Moore will be a transfer candidate at the end of the year or not, but I don’t think Archie will keep him around out of some sense of loyalty if he thinks he has a better option.  This is a business, and all signs point to Archie doing whatever he thinks is best for the program.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, don’t think this makes much of a difference.  They were Crean’s recruits, and he didn’t have much of a choice but to try to keep them on board with how late in the recruiting cycle he got to IU.  Who knows if Moore will be a transfer candidate at the end of the year or not, but I don’t think Archie will keep him around out of some sense of loyalty if he thinks he has a better option.  This is a business, and all signs point to Archie doing whatever he thinks is best for the program.

I disagree...don't think Miller was at all compelled to keep Crean's class.  You remember McKinley Wright?  He was Archie's for the asking.  If Archie was all business and had no sense of loyalty, he would have taken Wright and jettisoned one of Crean's players.  I think he has a moral compass that he balances with a win at all cost attitude.  He's turned a couple of Crean's players loose, but he asked Clifton Moore to stay so I think it's far from certain that he would squeeze him out now.  That being said, I don't see anyone getting a free pass.  If Moore doesn't work at getting better and doing the things that Miller asks him to do to improve himself, all bets are off.

If, on the other hand, Moore has busted his butt to improve himself and those efforts are visible, then no, I don't believe Miller shoves him out for an oversign.  If Moore leaves after meeting Miller's requirements, it's because Moore wants more playing time and it's Moore's decision.

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I disagree...don't think Miller was at all compelled to keep Crean's class.  You remember McKinley Wright?  He was Archie's for the asking.  If Archie was all business and had no sense of loyalty, he would have taken Wright and jettisoned one of Crean's players.  I think he has a moral compass that he balances with a win at all cost attitude.  He's turned a couple of Crean's players loose, but he asked Clifton Moore to stay so I think it's far from certain that he would squeeze him out now.  That being said, I don't see anyone getting a free pass.  If Moore doesn't work at getting better and doing the things that Miller asks him to do to improve himself, all bets are off.

If, on the other hand, Moore has busted his butt to improve himself and those efforts are visible, then no, I don't believe Miller shoves him out for an oversign.  If Moore leaves after meeting Miller's requirements, it's because Moore wants more playing time and it's Moore's decision.

Maybe you’re right, I just don’t see it that way.  I think fans are more sentimental about these things than coaches are.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

If the writing on the wall is that plain why didn't he leave before this year,could have sit out someplace and had 3 years to play

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Maybe you’re right, I just don’t see it that way.  I think fans are more sentimental about these things than coaches are.

At this stage it's all speculation, but I think the picture will clear up before the year is over.  If Moore still has splinters in his rear by conference season, I think eventually he'll lose patience.  If he's working hard though and growing in the system, I think he'll get rewarded with meaningful minutes.  I'd be surprised if they were starter minutes, but I think he has a chance to play meaningful minutes if he's bought in and working hard.

Archived