2018-19 Player Preview: Justin Smith

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Zoinks!

Adding to this, is the deliciousness of his choosing IU over Illinois.  Keeping up with the Illinois fan boards during Justin's recruitment, it was obvious if not considered a lock for the Orange and Blue.... how much and how many Illini fans really, really wanted this kid.

So, I will add another word.  This one directed towards our friends to the West....Bazinga !  Just like Gordon, another one gets away. 

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo may not be our only first round pick next season.  Yes.  I just said that.

Highly doubt it.  Smith is way too small to be an NBA 4 and doesn't have the game for a 3.  It's also going to be hard for him to blow up this season with Romeo and Juwan commanding the ball so much.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Highly doubt it.  Smith is way too small to be an NBA 4 and doesn't have the game for a 3.  It's also going to be hard for him to blow up this season with Romeo and Juwan commanding the ball so much.

You may be right -- he could be stuck with the 'tweener' label -- but per CAM and staff he's been working on his outside game, and we've only seen him as a frosh. It's way early to write him off as an NBA player, imo. If he is developing an outside shot, he's already got next level athleticism and CAM will develop his D. I can see him getting there, he's not there now, but that doesn't mean he can't get there.

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You may be right -- he could be stuck with the 'tweener' label -- but per CAM and staff he's been working on his outside game, and we've only seen him as a frosh. It's way early to write him off as an NBA player, imo. If he is developing an outside shot, he's already got next level athleticism and CAM will develop his D. I can see him getting there, he's not there now, but that doesn't mean he can't get there.

Very true.  Think of Morgan's jump from year two to three.  He may not have arrived at IU with an NBA ready talents, but the story of Smith's game is just now being written and he has the raw abilities to make it happen.

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He could certainly be an NBA player one day but no way is he a 1st rounder next year.

26 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He could certainly be an NBA player one day but no way is he a 1st rounder next year.

That was said about Vic, about OG, etc. He's got elite athleticism. He's right at wing height and length. If he develops a good outside jumper, he can be a first rounder. I tend to agree on next year, but ya never know.

Archived