New G League Rules Impact on CBB?

For those that haven't seen, read the link below.  The NBA G League is setting a program to give the option to one and does to make 125k on a 1 year G League contract before entering the draft. 

This could have a dramatic shift in high school talent choosing G League over College. 

What are your thoughts? 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

To be honest, I’m not sure how much this will change things.  It seems to me that the G League isn’t a great option for 95% of players because they’re just not ready — just look at what happened to Darius Bazley.  I don’t think many players will want to risk going to the G League and getting exposed, which would happen to most of them.  Since this news broke, I’ve seen multiple sportswriters say that agents have told them they would never recommend that their clients skip college for the G League.

DD was talking about this and said the majority is not even ready to play in the G-league and would get killed playing some older more physical players.  I would go the college route where you will be seen by millions of people every night on TV and play in front of huge crowds every night.  Also the facilities at these major college are probably way better than what you will see in the G-League.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

To be honest, I’m not sure how much this will change things.  It seems to me that the G League isn’t a great option for 95% of players because they’re just not ready — just look at what happened to Darius Bazley.  I don’t think many players will want to risk going to the G League and getting exposed, which would happen to most of them.  Since this news broke, I’ve seen multiple sportswriters say that agents have told them they would never recommend that their clients skip college for the G League.

Interesting.  I was hoping they'd be more of a competitor.  I guess we'll just have to wait three years until kids can make the leap directly and be even less prepared...LOL...

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

DD was talking about this and said the majority is not even ready to play in the G-league and would get killed playing some older more physical players.  I would go the college route where you will be seen by millions of people every night on TV and play in front of huge crowds every night.  Also the facilities at these major college are probably way better than what you will see in the G-League.

You have repeated this mantra forever.

DD commented on kids not ready to play in the G League. What about kids who are not ready/capable to handle college academics? Some (more than we probably know) kids just are not cut out for higher education. I would rather they have a place to play, to grow, to earn a living, than to fall through the cracks because they have dropped or flunked out of school.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

DD commented on kids not ready to play in the G League. What about kids who are not ready/capable to handle college academics? Some (more than we probably know) kids just are not cut out for higher education. I would rather they have a place to play, to grow, to earn a living, than to fall through the cracks because they have dropped or flunked out of school.

Excellent point.  We can't project our personal situations on high school basketball prospects who often come from a much different place.

52 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Shawn Kemp.  To his credit knew he was not college material.  He was able to go strait out of high school.  Perfect example.

I read the article further and am more worried, from a college perspective, than I was at first. It's just really oddly worded, and not completely thought out yet. One thing the article I read said is that they'll determine who the potential one and done players are by the Spring of their senior year, and then offer the path to them, but that they won't offer it to players that have made a commitment to a college. They will offer it if the player publicly decommits. 

So, if I'm a top 50 high school player, certainly top 25, I'm definitely not committing until Spring. How can I make an informed decision unless I know if that path is open to me or not, even if I ultimately choose college? This starts next year, why would TJD or Brooks commit in the Fall now? There's no reason to whatsoever. 

There's a good idea in here, and the NBA has shown they don't care, but there is no thought to the ramifications to the college game at all.  

Didn't see this thread but I'll post what said in NBA thread. G League will serve it's purpose and get some guys...but little to zero impact on high level guys who have a chance at being drafted. Guys who just aren't fit for college. Some former IU guys like Jamarcus Ellis, Jordan Crawford and some others I think would be perfect for G League.

Also, besides the $125k, these kids can sign with an agent and potentially profit from their likenesses, shoe deals, etc. Income that is not attainable as a student.

Just a few kids will have that kind of cache and not be in the NBA. I think that this rule helps those few and provides a great option to kids who take up a scholarship for a year and cause coaches to scramble in determining who they can count on for multiple years 

10 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Thank you, I never knew that.  If that's the case, this rule would have helped him.

He could have went right out of HS.  But his plan was to play at UK, and was enrolled there.  But he failed to meet academic standards set be the NCAA(SAT score).  He then got caught pawning some of Sean Sutton's jewelry which was reported stolen.  He left UK and enrolled in some small school.......but never played a college basketball game.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I'll take a stab at answering the four biggest concerns addressed here:

1) Who determines which players are eligible for "elite" G-League status - Have G-League tryouts and the top players who willingly attend tryouts and want to pursue G League route will be selected for $125k payment during their bridge year. If a Donovan Mitchell isn't good enough to qualify during that period of time, then he's got to hone his craft in other ways to get to the NBA (i.e. college route)

2) What team to allocate the "elite" pool of G-league players - Each team gets one player they bring on as their "elite" selection giving ~30 players per year that make the $125k league-wide. Draft rights for G-League selection mirror the NBA teams actual NBA draft positioning (i.e. if the NBA team has #5 selection in NBA draft during that year then they also get the #5 G-League selection for that year)

3) What G-League will the players end up on - I think #2 alleviates the concerns mentioned in #3 in the article. Works like the farm system in baseball where teams/players interests are aligned.

4) What incentive do G-League personnel to protect players best interests - Again, #2 alleviates some of these concerns. It's in the G-Leagues best interest to hone the talent of their acquired talent in the farm system so they are ready for the next level for their respective club. This area also discusses if this route is even a good route to take as a player (legit concern). This would be determined on the players end if they even want to enter tryouts in the first place or pass for college experience. I think under these rules we would find out if $125k is even enough money for the top talent to get lured in by the option...if you see rivals players ranked #120-150 being the one to agree to the G-League route the implication is the reward is not as good as the college reward for top players (i.e. college exposure + under the table extra $$$ + not risking being exposed as not good enough against grown men, etc. > $125k of G-League + making money off likeness). 

Archived