Penn State - IU game thread

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game and got home a little while ago.  After reading the thread sounds like everyone is on point:

Special teams are trash, the refs just don’t call IU fairly and it’s getting old, Penix looked like he grabbed his knee while going down so I suspect we lost him for the year (ugh), Penix just makes the game feel more up tempo and fun while the game feels like it’s in slow motion with Ramsey, there were a lot of missed tackles on defense again it seemed to me, the end of the half was just trash and the moment he spent that last timeout so early I had a feeling CTA was going to regret it, I counted one other time the special teams on receiving only had 10 on the field.  This game was classic IU football 😕

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

I get that you're bummed, but apparently you haven't saw Maryland or Minny.  IU is a bummer, but the Twerps and Field Rats have been worse.

I do think we can win either of these games, however I also could see us laying an egg on the road next week after a tough loss this week.  We can only wait and see.  At this point we probably have little chance against Purdue.  I think their 3 losses are by a total of 8 pts, and are currently beating OSU.  We can't expect to go to a bowl if we have to beat them.  Minny and Maryland games will tell us a great deal.  BTW, the Twerps are 4-3 with a win over Texas.  

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

I was at the game and got home a little while ago.  After reading the thread sounds like everyone is on point:

Special teams are trash, the refs just don’t call IU fairly and it’s getting old, Penix looked like he grabbed his knee while going down so I suspect we lost him for the year (ugh), Penix just makes the game feel more up tempo and fun while the game feels like it’s in slow motion with Ramsey, there were a lot of missed tackles on defense again it seemed to me, the end of the half was just trash and the moment he spent that last timeout so early I had a feeling CTA was going to regret it, I counted one other time the special teams on receiving only had 10 on the field.  This game was classic IU football 😕

My husband was at the game for the first half, and he commented on the officiating. In particular, he mentioned a no-call on pass interference down at the 10, south end zone. He doesn’t often comment on the officiating (that’s my job lol).

Their effort was much improved. I didn’t understand why Ramsey went back in after Penix seemed to electrify the offense and crowd, but I’m not a coach and I’ve never played. Very sorry to see Penix get hurt. We seemed to miss important tackles. But at the end of the game, we still had a (very small) chance to win, but I sure was hoping for a W after that first half. I am looking forward to our recruits for the upcoming seasons. My heart is still with this team; I know they work hard (I’m a mom). We’ll get there. 

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

But they didnt make it. This is big time college football, you take the points go in tied, which is a win for IU, then you have the ball to start the 2nd half.

Absolutely! You don’t play for the win in the first half. Give me a tied game and the ball to start and I have momentum! If I had to listen to Griese praise Deborg for another minute I would have thrown a shoe at the tv. Ok, I get it, Deborg once said Griese was the best QB he ever coached, including Brady, but at least try to be objective.

11 hours ago, Payday said:

Hell of a coach. It is that simple. He has not been there long enough to change the personal, he knows how to coach to the talent he has.

Allen does that. Talent isn't all that good and coaching follows suit. You never hire any position based on emotion. That is exactly what Glas has done. 

I think once Penix is ready to really take over next year, IU will take a big leap forward.

I'd go so far as to say that if he was able to stay in the game, IU may have come out with a victory despite the fumbles.

That's not to say I think Ramsey isn't good; he certainly isn't the reason IU is losing these games, but it's becoming obvious that Ramsey seems to avoid throwing it downfield and instead opts for the checkdown too much.

Also, I don't get the criticism of Allen at this point.  People here are praising Brohm and criticizing Allen and Glass when Allen made many of the same types of aggressive decisions in the game Brohm did last night.  The difference is it worked for Purdue.  IU's OC called a corner jump ball in the endzone on 4th and 1, and IU's special teams gave the game away.  And clock management at the end of the first half wasn't as bad as it seemed.  A holding penalty that put IU out of field goal range coupled with a ref who sauntered the ball to the line on the last play screwed it all up.  Allen is better than any coach we've had in years, including Wilson.

If IU doesn't have two phantom holding penalties (hard to fix that), fumble it twice (once inside their own 30), and allow two monster kickoff returns, we would have had much the same result Purdue had last night.  Like it or not, IU dominated the first half and largely played better than Penn State the entire game.  That is why everyone is frustrated with these losses; because we were the better team and still lost anyway.

If you want to judge Allen, wait to see how he handles his assistant coaches this off-season, because that is where the problems are in regard to coaching right now, and, the way I see it, changing some personnel is the only real way to remedy that in a meaningful way.

5 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Clock management was terrible at the end of both halves.  They were two slow when playing down by two scores at the end.

As for Ramsey, the fact that he has been the starter says all I need to know about Allen/DeBoard

It seems to me they are trying to preserve Penixs red shirt and planning for the future.  And only use Penix enough to get to a bowl. 

33 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Clock management was terrible at the end of both halves.  They were two slow when playing down by two scores at the end.

As for Ramsey, the fact that he has been the starter says all I need to know about Allen/DeBoard

Don't let the fact that Penix is a true freshman and maybe wasn't totally ready to take on the role of starter or even of large contributor until now get in the way. 

He looked FAR better yesterday than he had in the other two games he played.  

I still stand by clock management at the end of the first half was not as bad as it appeared.  The holding penalty pretty much killed everything.  Can't argue the end of the game; that was Debord being Debord.

39 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was listening on the radio so didnt see the 2 holding calls at the end. Were they legitimate?   The first one just totally killed the final drive. The second seemed unnecessary cause it was over at that point.

I don't recall them showing a replay of those, so who knows, but the first did totally kill any chances IU had.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was listening on the radio so didnt see the 2 holding calls at the end. Were they legitimate?   The first one just totally killed the final drive. The second seemed unnecessary cause it was over at that point.

They were both bogus. Announcer even pointed it out on the first one questioning what he could have done differently. Cronk had one later where he had the guy in a headlock that obviously was legit.  They were two huge score and momentum shifting calls.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

They were both bogus. Announcer even pointed it out on the first one questioning what he could have done differently. Cronk had one later where he had the guy in a headlock that obviously was legit.  They were two huge score and momentum shifting calls.

True on all counts.

22 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Allen does that. Talent isn't all that good and coaching follows suit. You never hire any position based on emotion. That is exactly what Glas has done. 

Lol, both arrived as head coaches at the respective programs at the same time. Go look at Purdue’s win loss compared to IU and consider Allen was actually in the program longer as an assistant. Then consider your statement and the only conclusion is that you are just wrong or Allen is a terrible recruiter and can’t keep up. Considering that IU is a flagship State school with improving facilities and there is no way it should ever be second to Purdue.

Archived