Penn State - IU game thread

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rico said:

Purdue, historically, has been way better than IU.  In football, we play third fiddle in this state(historically).

Gotcha. Thanks. My thoughts are simple: ND is always going to do well. Being a private college they have carefully cultivated their mystique and, in my opinion, have often manipulated their schedule in a manner that resulted in their being heavily over rated. But they have worked it so you have to give them some credit and they are tied to a religion that gives them access to a massive base. A good catholic boy who plays football will always give ND a look just because of how he was raised. Purdue does not have that mystique around it. Their facilities are not very good. They are a private school. And they just don’t have the massive loyal base created outside of the school like ND. So when you look at Purdue and IU it comes down to what perception the IU athletic department can create. The facilities are there, it is a public flagship school, every time I look at this it always comes back to the AD and coaches. Fans are all to quick to go after players (perhaps because we know we have no ability to influence who plays) but we tend to give administrators and coaches a pass for a good while. Watching the game last week, and I know this is just one snap shot view, we are at mid season and we are still not managing the clock, making stupid decisions on field goals or not, and sometimes personnel on the field is wrong or short. This is mid season, you can’t make those mistakes. 

19 minutes ago, Payday said:

Gotcha. Thanks. My thoughts are simple: ND is always going to do well. Being a private college they have carefully cultivated their mystique and, in my opinion, have often manipulated their schedule in a manner that resulted in their being heavily over rated. But they have worked it so you have to give them some credit and they are tied to a religion that gives them access to a massive base. A good catholic boy who plays football will always give ND a look just because of how he was raised. Purdue does not have that mystique around it. Their facilities are not very good. They are a private school. And they just don’t have the massive loyal base created outside of the school like ND. So when you look at Purdue and IU it comes down to what perception the IU athletic department can create. The facilities are there, it is a public flagship school, every time I look at this it always comes back to the AD and coaches. Fans are all to quick to go after players (perhaps because we know we have no ability to influence who plays) but we tend to give administrators and coaches a pass for a good while. Watching the game last week, and I know this is just one snap shot view, we are at mid season and we are still not managing the clock, making stupid decisions on field goals or not, and sometimes personnel on the field is wrong or short. This is mid season, you can’t make those mistakes. 

Purdue isn't a private school, fyi.

Archived