OT: Boiler Up!

KoB2011

3 hours ago, rico said:

This thread could have been placed somewhere else......great story though.

I think stories like this should not be labelled, or forced into a category.  They should be placed where they will reach the most people and have the most impact.

Admittedly, I'm biased because my 12 year old daughter is a survivor who has been cancer free for 9 years.  Despite the amount of time that has gone by, we fear it may someday return. 

But for the grace of God, that could be me on that video talking about my child.

Cancer Sucks.   

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think stories like this should not be labelled, or forced into a category.  They should be placed where they will reach the most people and have the most impact.

Admittedly, I'm biased because my 12 year old daughter is a survivor who has been cancer free for 9 years.  Despite the amount of time that has gone by, we fear it may someday return. 

But for the grace of God, that could be me on that video talking about my child.

Cancer Sucks.   

Cancer does suck.  I just lost a loved one to it.

But that is not my point at all.  What is the point of having forum topics.  I was told to put my NFL stuff in the Animal House.  The MLB stuff is in the Animal House.  But yet the NBA talk is in the the General Basketball forum?  Why isn't NFL stuff in the General Football Forum?  Why isn't MLB in the Other Sports forum?  Why isn't off topic in the Animal House?  

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Cancer does suck.  I just lost a loved one to it.

But that is not my point at all.  What is the point of having forum topics.  I was told to put my NFL stuff in the Animal House.  The MLB stuff is in the Animal House.  But yet the NBA talk is in the the General Basketball forum?  Why isn't NFL stuff in the General Football Forum?  Why isn't MLB in the Other Sports forum?  Why isn't off topic in the Animal House?  

I would encourage you to raise those concerns to a Mod.  I will say that, for a story like this, I like it when the thread is opened in the basketball forum to help jump-start the conversation.  Over time, once the conversation starts to wane, then it makes sense to move it.  

Thank goodness that Hoosier Sports Nation has a great group of moderators.... with an open mind.  Willing to let threads like this, and others cross over.  Believe me, I have seen it the other way.  Having watched the dictatorial nature of one Illinois mod (Nova was his user name)  on the Scout platform years back And heaven forbid should you post something he did not agree with. A certain time out.   Sure there is some cross over, here. However I would rather have it this way, than the other way.   Just my two cents.

By the way, early on in the thread, I did question the need for the OT thread in the basketball forum instead of being in the Animal House.  I glad it stayed where it is, as IMHO, it has turned into an interesting thread, with many contributors. 

Lastly, it isn't always easy being a mod.  But you guys to make it much easier than what I have seen on other fanboards over the years.  I want to thank you all for that.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:04 PM, 5fouls said:

Cancer Sucks.   

Sorry to hear about your daughter, 5Fouls, but it sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. I'm only 32, but have been diagnosed with two different types of cancer in the last 7 years. About a week ago was the 7 year anniversary of when I found out about the brain tumor, and went in for all the surgeries etc. As a cancer survivor, you can't live your life thinking about the possibility that it could come back. You just have to live your life as you want to because you don't want regrets. I'm currently in treatment for a rare form of leukemia (LGLL), but I don't let it stop me from working, or living my life as I would otherwise.

I did see that story on ESPN about the kid at Purdue, and that really is unfortunate. There's not much else to say about it. 

5 minutes ago, SMHoosier said:

Sorry to hear about your daughter, 5Fouls, but it sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. I'm only 32, but have been diagnosed with two different types of cancer in the last 7 years. About a week ago was the 7 year anniversary of when I found out about the brain tumor, and went in for all the surgeries etc. As a cancer survivor, you can't live your life thinking about the possibility that it could come back. You just have to live your life as you want to because you don't want regrets. I'm currently in treatment for a rare form of leukemia (LGLL), but I don't let it stop me from working, or living my life as I would otherwise.

I did see that story on ESPN about the kid at Purdue, and that really is unfortunate. There's not much else to say about it. 

Thank you for the kind words. My daughter was much stronger than I ever was during it all.  

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles with the disease.  Keep your positive attitude and fight it with all you have.

Archived