I don’t want to hear another word about playing in the big 10 East

8 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

Purdue gets their checkbook out, goes and gets their coach and pays the man. We promote a high school coach and continually gets thumped and complain about having to play in the  “big ten east”. EFFING RIDICULOUS 

Probably came to the wrong place but playing in the Big 10 East is a very specific disadvantage. You'll always hear it from me. Now our staff makeup is a different subject.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably came to the wrong place but playing in the Big 10 East is a very specific disadvantage. You'll always hear it from me. Now our staff makeup is a different subject.

We always complain about how Purdue gets to play in the “easy” west. Well we were slaughtered by a b10 west team last week and Purdue just rolled over the “beast of the east”. What does that tell you? No more excuses!

1 hour ago, hoosier8760 said:

We always complain about how Purdue gets to play in the “easy” west. Well we were slaughtered by a b10 west team last week and Purdue just rolled over the “beast of the east”. What does that tell you? No more excuses!

It's not an excuse. I'm as frustrated as any of our fans, but look at it this way. OSU, MSU, PSU, and Michigan are perennial ranked teams. Three of them are normally in the top 15. Two out of every three years, Purdue plays one out of the four. Once every three years, they play two. We play all four of them EVERY year. It's a much greater challenge than playing Illinois, Nebraska and Minnesota all the time.

Last night was a perfect storm. Purdue was at home, in primetime against a highly ranked team that was ripe for the picking. As soon as they did the interview with the kid who's on hospice care, I knew there was no way Purdue was losing this game. It was their night. You think they're anywhere close to doing that if the game was played a month ago, or in Columbus? Timing is everything.

I'm not going to say anything about our coaching staff, because that's a different discussion.

37 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's not an excuse. I'm as frustrated as any of our fans, but look at it this way. OSU, MSU, PSU, and Michigan are perennial ranked teams. Three of them are normally in the top 15. Two out of every three years, Purdue plays one out of the four. Once every three years, they play two. We play all four of them EVERY year. It's a much greater challenge than playing Illinois, Nebraska and Minnesota all the time.

Last night was a perfect storm. Purdue was at home, in primetime against a highly ranked team that was ripe for the picking. As soon as they did the interview with the kid who's on hospice care, I knew there was no way Purdue was losing this game. It was their night. You think they're anywhere close to doing that if the game was played a month ago, or in Columbus? Timing is everything.

I'm not going to say anything about our coaching staff, because that's a different discussion.

Exactly. Perfectly described.

59 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Seems like you’re not giving Purdue nearly enough credit for what they did last night. You legit thought there was no way Purdue would lose? Come on now. 

Plenty  of UofL fans are done with  Petrino, and that was before they saw their home grown boy beat the #2 team in the country last night.  Add that to the fact that Petrino no longer has his BFF Jurich to protect him, and the writing is in the wall.  The big discussion last week on sports radio was, "what has Petrino  done with out  Heisman Trophy winner?"  Brohm beating OSU is only going to fan the flames, he almost left last year, no  way he says no to UofL.

50 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Seems like you’re not giving Purdue nearly enough credit for what they did last night. You legit thought there was no way Purdue would lose? Come on now. 

Why are you always so concerned with IU fans not giving Purdue enough credit?  This is an IU board.  Sure, Purdue played their best game of the last decade more or less last night.  Brohm has your team looking really good despite the terrible start.  It was a great win for you guys; really the best win either IU or Purdue has had in decades.  

Don't pretend like all the circumstantial factors didn't play into it, either, though, including OSU totally falling apart in the second half.  

I think Purdue's win involved much more than a perfect storm.  The play calling on "O", particularly the way they balanced their attack was very good.  They were attacking all night long; even when it seemed OSU was one play away PU kept the foot on the gas, attacking and taking chances that paid dividends.  It seems IU continually uses a plodding conservative style of play (and perhaps that is dictated by the skill level at key positions).  Even in rare situations when IU has a sizable lead (see Rutger's game for example) the play calls get even more conservative, allowing the opponent opportunities to hang around.  Purdue had some trick plays and surprises, but it was not like they were using a gimmick on every series; creative play calling, confidence, and effort on the part of the team.  I'm an IU grad, a HOOSIER fan through and through, and as much as I despise our rivals to the North, they deserve every minute of celebration for that huge win last night.  Hope to someday see IU football get another win over a highly ranked team again.

38 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Why are you always so concerned with IU fans not giving Purdue enough credit?  This is an IU board.  Sure, Purdue played their best game of the last decade more or less last night.  Brohm has your team looking really good despite the terrible start.  It was a great win for you guys; really the best win either IU or Purdue has had in decades.  

Don't pretend like all the circumstantial factors didn't play into it, either, though, including OSU totally falling apart in the second half.  

It may have played a part but OSU falling apart had a lot to do with the way Purdue was playing. Purdue played so well when OSU got in the red zone and were firing on all cylinders on offense. 

38 minutes ago, iu2win said:

I think Purdue's win involved much more than a perfect storm.  The play calling on "O", particularly the way they balanced their attack was very good.  They were attacking all night long; even when it seemed OSU was one play away PU kept the foot on the gas, attacking and taking chances that paid dividends.  It seems IU continually uses a plodding conservative style of play (and perhaps that is dictated by the skill level at key positions).  Even in rare situations when IU has a sizable lead (see Rutger's game for example) the play calls get even more conservative, allowing the opponent opportunities to hang around.  Purdue had some trick plays and surprises, but it was not like they were using a gimmick on every series; creative play calling, confidence, and effort on the part of the team.  I'm an IU grad, a HOOSIER fan through and through, and as much as I despise our rivals to the North, they deserve every minute of celebration for that huge win last night.  Hope to someday see IU football get another win over a highly ranked team again.

Well said!

This was the year to get OSU. I don’t think this will be their only loss. Coaching staff in turmoil, distracted coming into the year. They have no running game like past years. The leader of their defense dpoy candidate quits on them on them (had to be a gut punch to his teammates) it was bound to happen. Should have lost to Penn St a mediocre team and I think Michigan beats them too. Great win for Purdue who has improved as much as anyone in the B1G since the start of the season but this has been brewing for awhile.

4 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Plenty  of UofL fans are done with  Petrino, and that was before they saw their home grown boy beat the #2 team in the country last night.  Add that to the fact that Petrino no longer has his BFF Jurich to protect him, and the writing is in the wall.  The big discussion last week on sports radio was, "what has Petrino  done with out  Heisman Trophy winner?"  Brohm beating OSU is only going to fan the flames, he almost left last year, no  way he says no to UofL.

I think Brohm goes if UL offers, but the longer he's at PU it will be tougher to pull him away. 

Now is probably the time for them to make a move if they can afford to buy out Petrino. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

This was the year to get OSU. I don’t think this will be their only loss. Coaching staff in turmoil, distracted coming into the year. They have no running game like past years. The leader of their defense dpoy candidate quits on them on them (had to be a gut punch to his teammates) it was bound to happen. Should have lost to Penn St a mediocre team and I think Michigan beats them too. Great win for Purdue who has improved as much as anyone in the B1G since the start of the season but this has been brewing for awhile.

Hmmmmm.......Iowa says hello.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Hmmmmm.......Iowa says hello.

Are you saying Iowa has improved more or that they will beat OSU?? Not sure they play this them this year and Iowa has been pretty good all year...dissapointing game vs Wisconsin but Purdue looked like they may not make a bowl game and now they look like they will have a say in the B1G West. Clearly they aren’t as good as Iowa but they’ve made a bigger jump imo since week 1.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Are you saying Iowa has improved more or that they will beat OSU?? Not sure they play this them this year and Iowa has been pretty good all year...dissapointing game vs Wisconsin but Purdue looked like they may not make a bowl game and now they look like they will have a say in the B1G West. Clearly they aren’t as good as Iowa but they’ve made a bigger jump imo since week 1.

Iowa routed tOSU last year.  However they could meet in the B1G championship.

Archived