2018-19 Player Preview: De'Ron Davis

The hometown factoid about De'Ron is not totally accurate. When he first came to IU, it was announced that his hometown was Overland, Colorado.  De'Ron got that corrected, however, when he said he was from Park Hill, Colorado...however, that is like someone saying they are from Broad Ripple, Indiana.  True, but not totally accurate, in that Park Hill, is a neighborhood of Denver, Colorado, just as Broad RIpple is a part of Indianapolis.

Growing up in the Park Hill neighborhood of Denver meant the closest high school is Denver East.  Many noted alumni have gone to Denver East. Such as Joe Barry Carrol, Mamie Eisenhower, Judy Collins and Pam Grier.  The list goes on.

Colorado does allow students to go to any school of their choice.  Overland High School is in Aurora, Colorado. An approximate half hour drive from Park Hill, when the traffic is good.

So, you ask me why did De'Ron choose Overland ?  And it was to play for Danny Fisher,  his AAU coach. 

To sum up, De'Ron is from Denver, Colorado. He played basketball at Overland which is in Aurora, Colorado.

Needless, information, I guess. LOL

Whether De'Ron is a starter or not, is irrelevant to me.  Just as long as he is a contributor.I am fine with that. I will admit that I am surprised and pleased to know that it is looking as if he will be ready for some action, at the start of the season.  I truly did not expect him back till 2019, or not at all, given the severity of his injury.

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The hometown factoid about De'Ron is not totally accurate. When he first came to IU, it was announced that his hometown was Overland, Colorado.  De'Ron got that corrected, however, when he said he was from Park Hill, Colorado...however, that is like someone saying they are from Broad Ripple, Indiana.  True, but not totally accurate, in that Park Hill, is a neighborhood of Denver, Colorado, just as Broad RIpple is a part of Indianapolis.

Growing up in the Park Hill neighborhood of Denver meant the closest high school is Denver East.  Many noted alumni have gone to Denver East. Such as Joe Barry Carrol, Mamie Eisenhower, Judy Collins and Pam Grier.  The list goes on.

Colorado does allow students to go to any school of their choice.  Overland High School is in Aurora, Colorado. An approximate half hour drive from Park Hill, when the traffic is good.

So, you ask me why did De'Ron choose Overland ?  And it was to play for Danny Fisher,  his AAU coach. 

To sum up, De'Ron is from Denver, Colorado. He played basketball at Overland which is in Aurora, Colorado.

Whether De'Ron is a starter or not, is irrelevant to me.  Just as long as he is a contributor.I am fine with that. I will admit that I am surprised and pleased to know that it is looking as if he will be ready for some action, at the start of the season.  I truly did not expect him back till 2019, or not at all, given the severity of his injury.

I was a Sean Kline "homer".

I'm glad Deron didn't transfer for selfish reasons but I honestly think it would've been in his best interest to have done so.  He could've used this year to get back to 100% and have had 2 seasons fully healthy.  He's essentially wasting a season.  He's also not a good fit for the pack line but a guy like Kelvin Sampson could probably do wonders with Deron.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm glad Deron didn't transfer for selfish reasons but I honestly think it would've been in his best interest to have done so.  He could've used this year to get back to 100% and have had 2 seasons fully healthy.  He's essentially wasting a season.  He's also not a good fit for the pack line but a guy like Kelvin Sampson could probably do wonders with Deron.

Say what?

2 hours ago, rico said:

Davis will never be a starter again.  Hell, I don't know if he will ever play another game.  If....and that is a big IF, and when he is able to play he will be a contributor.  No more, no less.  He has been "over recruited".  JMHO.

Do you really, honestly believe there’s a chance Deron never plays another game?

Is this hyperbole or are you concerned that we are being snowballed with fake positive stories about his recovery? Or, do you think he’s gonna be buried *that* far on the bench by, albeit talented, but still kids who haven’t yet seen college basketball action?

I honestly think he’ll be back and contributing on a fairly legit level by mid season. I think that Archie is smart enough to know strategically when and how to utilize the big fella, to know when his skill set presents a mismatch against completion. I want to believe that Archie will know how to approach Deron’s and not have such a rigid view of his lineups and style of play that he can’t get the most of a big, talented kid.

9 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Do you really, honestly believe there’s a chance Deron never plays another game?

Is this hyperbole or are you concerned that we are being snowballed with fake positive stories about his recovery? Or, do you think he’s gonna be buried *that* far on the bench by, albeit talented, but still kids who haven’t yet seen college basketball action?

I honestly think he’ll be back and contributing on a fairly legit level by mid season. I think that Archie is smart enough to know strategically when and how to utilize the big fella, to know when his skill set presents a mismatch against completion. I want to believe that Archie will know how to approach Deron’s and not have such a rigid view of his lineups and style of play that he can’t get the most of a big, talented kid.

To be honest....De'Ron is following that Glen Grunwald path.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

What with the new redshirt rule (ha, ha, at first I typed redshit rule)  what you are saying could come true.  We may be able to see some action from De'Ron and he still could sit out the rest of the year too.  Not saying that will happen, just that all coaches now have that option available to them.  In De'Ron's case, Coach Miller gets to see if De'Ron truly is ready for action, and if not, can sit him. 

5 hours ago, rico said:

Davis will never be a starter again.  Hell, I don't know if he will ever play another game.  If....and that is a big IF, and when he is able to play he will be a contributor.  No more, no less.  He has been "over recruited".  JMHO.

I agree he likely won’t start again. That said he is the only legit traditional Center on our team. Sure we have others that might play the position but none that play it traditionally and can match up against dominant post bigs like Ward and Harms and Happ and others. He can have an effect. Be a post presence, rebounder, and rim protector. It won’t be a major role considering how we want to play but against teams that want to pound it inside he can play a big role in helping us against them.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I agree he likely won’t start again. That said he is the only legit traditional Center on our team. Sure we have others that might play the position but none that play it traditionally and can match up against dominant post bigs like Ward and Harms and Happ and others. He can have an effect. Be a post presence, rebounder, and rim protector. It won’t be a major role considering how we want to play but against teams that want to pound it inside he can play a big role in helping us against them.

I am not denying that.

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Has there ever been another IU player from Colorado?  Can't think of any of the top of my head.

36 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Has there ever been another IU player from Colorado?  Can't think of any of the top of my head.

Neither can I.  And it seems that the Indy Star has taken down their IU players data base, not allowing me to check others from Colorado.

I will say this. A guy from my old High School in Gary, who played for the University of Wyoming back in the 1940's was at 6-7 or something like that considered to be the first BIG man of the NBA.

Milo Komenich

And Milo played along side of Ken Sailors, who some feel the originator of the jump shot.

Ken Sailors 

But as for now.... I will have to say that De'Ron is the only IU BB player from the great state of Colorado.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It's hard to imagine a guy who was a major liability on defense because of his lack of mobility carving out a consistent role after that same player tore his achilles tendon. 

Agree, which is why I think an observation that Davis could be a rim protector is overly optimistic.

At best, I think he provides 5 fouls and a few minutes of rest for the starters. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree, which is why I think an observation that Davis could be a rim protector is overly optimistic.

At best, I think he provides 5 fouls and a few minutes of rest for the starters. 

Exactly. Rim protectors don't work when the guy you're guarding can pull you away from the basket and you don't have the speed to get back to the rim (or to guard that guy on the perimeter). 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Provides 5fouls with what?  Seriously, what do I get?

Archived